• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I got one of these cards as well. In the trash it went...

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Ok, I have an eotech 552 I picked up from a pawn shop on ebay a few years ago. I don't know how old it is, I don't even know if it's civilian or military. It seems to work fine, but I don't know how to test it to be sure.

Any thoughts on whether I can/should try to return it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    My $0.02 - I will preface this by saying I'm not married to EOtech. I have Aimpoints, Burris, ACOG, Leupold, etc.

I have two EOtechs, one for ~5 years and one closer to 15. I have had no issues with either of them. One is on my truck gun with a 3X magnifier for many years. I pull it out from time to time, in a wide range of weather conditions, and if it has drifted it has been so little as to not be noticable. Of course, I am also not shooting bullseyes from a bench so it may shift a little bit.

I think I read there is the possibility of as much as 5MOA shift between -40F and 122F. 5MOA is substantial, but I suspect that isn't a linear shift across that range, meaning you are going to see 1MOA movement for every 32 degrees. I suspect in typical cases there is no, or very little drift until you get to the extreme edges of those ranges. If I have <0.5MOA drift 0F to 100F, I really don't care.

I am guessing, but I expect you would see similar POI change for most red dots if put to extreme temperatures, and likely some of the less expensive brands don't have much significant data on that. Again, just a guess.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    My $0.02 - I will preface this by saying I'm not married to EOtech. I have Aimpoints, Burris, ACOG, Leupold, etc.

I have two EOtechs, one for ~5 years and one closer to 15. I have had no issues with either of them. One is on my truck gun with a 3X magnifier for many years. I pull it out from time to time, in a wide range of weather conditions, and if it has drifted it has been so little as to not be noticable. Of course, I am also not shooting bullseyes from a bench so it may shift a little bit.

I think I read there is the possibility of as much as 5MOA shift between -40F and 122F. 5MOA is substantial, but I suspect that isn't a linear shift across that range, meaning you are going to see 1MOA movement for every 32 degrees. I suspect in typical cases there is no, or very little drift until you get to the extreme edges of those ranges. If I have <0.5MOA drift 0F to 100F, I really don't care.

I am guessing, but I expect you would see similar POI change for most red dots if put to extreme temperatures, and likely some of the less expensive brands don't have much significant data on that. Again, just a guess.

I hear what you are saying but I don't think that is the case. If it were a non issue the company wouldn't have settled the way they did. Plus a lot of us here personally experienced thermal drift issues in less extreme conditions.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I hear what you are saying but I don't think that is the case. If it were a non issue the company wouldn't have settled the way they did. Plus a lot of us here personally experienced thermal drift issues in less extreme conditions.

Understood. I only know from my immediate experience that this isn't an issue across the board. I have been on the receiving end of a group email from some of my friends the last few days on this very topic. Among the list, many years of experience with better than a dozen EOtechs of various configuration and manufacture date. This POI shift hasn't been seen by any. The concensus seems to be, if you can send them in for free maintenance/upgrade, then that is what will happen. Nobody is returning them for their money back.

Personally I am tempted to send mine back, get the money and get new optics. Maybe even new EOtechs. Don't feel right about it though. I purchased them for fair price and they have served me quite well. Asking for all my money back now because somebody else's unit failed just doesn't sit right with me.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Personally I am tempted to send mine back, get the money and get new optics. Maybe even new EOtechs. Don't feel right about it though. I purchased them for fair price and they have served me quite well. Asking for all my money back now because somebody else's unit failed just doesn't sit right with me.

Understood; I'm in the same boat. My worry is that if/when mine starts going south, will I be screwed by not having returned it, or will Eotech repair/replace under warranty.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Understood; I'm in the same boat. My worry is that if/when mine starts going south, will I be screwed by not having returned it, or will Eotech repair/replace under warranty.

Just speculation, but I doubt it. From what I understand their customer service is stellar. The only first hand knowledge I can offer you is this. I know of an instance where batteries corroded and mucked up a unit to the point that it was completely inoperable. One phone call and a return authorization # was given and all repairs performed free of charge even though EOtech was in no way responsible.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Am intrigued by the last couple of comments regarding experiences with your EOTech's HWS, and relayed testament of others whom haven't had an issue.

I haven't had any issues either with mine.

Undecided what to do at this point.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    Am intrigued by the last couple of comments regarding experiences with your EOTech's HWS, and relayed testament of others whom haven't had an issue.

I haven't had any issues either with mine.

Undecided what to do at this point.

I would send them back. There are more reasons to send them back than to keep them. Why risk the uncertainty when the company is offering to make it right. I'm an Eotech fan boy and I sent mine back.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Does anyone know if the problem has been corrected in newly manufactured units?

No idea, But read their FAQ's: http://www.eotechinc.com/hws-service-and-support/faq

Snipped from the above:

Will the HWS hold zero as temperature changes?

EOTech’s sights experience a point of impact shift away from the point of aim when the sight is exposed to a temperature different from the temperature at which the sight was zeroed. After zeroing the sight at or near ambient temperature (73°F), the zero position will shift during operating temperature changes. For sights manufactured after October 2016, the typical shift will be between approximately 1.4 and 1.8 minutes of angle (“MOA”). Due to manufacturing variations, however, a particular sight has the potential to shift a maximum of approximately 3.5 MOA at -4°F and 122°F. Sights manufactured prior to October 2016 have the potential to shift approximately +/- 5 MOA at -40°F and 122°F.

Due to thermal drift, sights may not return to zero. The sights have the potential of approximately a +/- 2 MOA zero shift upon return to ambient (73°F) after being exposed to any temperature between -40°F and 122°F.

Shifts result from natural thermal expansion or contraction that is present in various materials as they are heated or cooled, and is greater the more extreme the temperature change. For example, when a sight is zeroed at 73˚ F then acclimated to 50˚ F, less shift occurs. On the other hand, if zeroed at 73˚ F, then acclimated to 0˚ F, more shift occurs. The shift may not be significant to shooters who use their sights at close-quarters ranges. For instance, 3.5 MOA is a shift of .875 inches at 25 yards, and is 3.5 inches at 100 yards. It also is worth noting that thermal effects are evidenced to varying degrees in common optics, as well as in rifle barrels and ammunition as the environmental conditions change. In all events, to achieve optimum accuracy, the sight zero should be verified whenever the sight is exposed to marked temperature changes, and the sight should be re-zeroed as necessary.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Btw,,, I just called that Foster Settlement telephone number asking for specifics of returning the HWS. They lady wasn't real helpful; all she could tell me was send it in with a tracking number and then wait for 30 days after the court case is heard; for a possible refund. If the court case is not approved, supposedly EOTech will be sending the HWS back to you.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    No it has not been fixed.

No idea, But read their FAQ's: http://www.eotechinc.com/hws-service-and-support/faq

Snipped from the above:

Will the HWS hold zero as temperature changes?

EOTech’s sights experience a point of impact shift away from the point of aim when the sight is exposed to a temperature different from the temperature at which the sight was zeroed. After zeroing the sight at or near ambient temperature (73°F), the zero position will shift during operating temperature changes. For sights manufactured after October 2016, the typical shift will be between approximately 1.4 and 1.8 minutes of angle (“MOA”). Due to manufacturing variations, however, a particular sight has the potential to shift a maximum of approximately 3.5 MOA at -4°F and 122°F. Sights manufactured prior to October 2016 have the potential to shift approximately +/- 5 MOA at -40°F and 122°F.

Due to thermal drift, sights may not return to zero. The sights have the potential of approximately a +/- 2 MOA zero shift upon return to ambient (73°F) after being exposed to any temperature between -40°F and 122°F.

Shifts result from natural thermal expansion or contraction that is present in various materials as they are heated or cooled, and is greater the more extreme the temperature change. For example, when a sight is zeroed at 73˚ F then acclimated to 50˚ F, less shift occurs. On the other hand, if zeroed at 73˚ F, then acclimated to 0˚ F, more shift occurs. The shift may not be significant to shooters who use their sights at close-quarters ranges. For instance, 3.5 MOA is a shift of .875 inches at 25 yards, and is 3.5 inches at 100 yards. It also is worth noting that thermal effects are evidenced to varying degrees in common optics, as well as in rifle barrels and ammunition as the environmental conditions change. In all events, to achieve optimum accuracy, the sight zero should be verified whenever the sight is exposed to marked temperature changes, and the sight should be re-zeroed as necessary.

Thanks. Really disappointing to hear. It's the only RDS that doesn't look terrible to me (I have astigmatism). Outside of this, I need to use etched glass to get a clean dot. Guess I'll return one and keep one.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Btw,,, I just called that Foster Settlement telephone number asking for specifics of returning the HWS. They lady wasn't real helpful; all she could tell me was send it in with a tracking number and then wait for 30 days after the court case is heard; for a possible refund. If the court case is not approved, supposedly EOTech will be sending the HWS back to you.

Ugh. Screw that.

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom