• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MantisX

Dec 19, 2016
    Hey Melnic,

You can see the same shot-by-shot analysis in your history (with the colored lines). Just click on the bar graph of a session and you'll be able to pull up the same screens as when you were shooting. Then swipe left/right to see all the other screens.

Hopefully that helps!

3 Gun Gal

Aug 2, 2016
    Carroll Co.
    I can see how this would be better for a slightly more advanced student than a real beginner. In my experience, beginners are learning so many things at once that they can only really focus on a couple of the fundamentals at once. They are very inconsistent because one shot they may be focusing more on their grip and another on trigger squeeze. While I'm sure this product has potential to help anyone, there is probably a sweet spot where this product excels in helping someone who has enough experience to be consistent with their shots, but not so much experience that they have to break heavily ingrained bad habits.

Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    I picked up the MantisX yesterday (thanks Tyler Firearms!), and really like it so far. I think it will really help give good feedback. I've only used it for dry fire for now, looking forward to live fire.

I started a group (MDShooters) if anyone wants to join.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Someone helped me at an IDPA event and really shined a light on how bad my fundamentals are. I have been using the Mantis for just over a month and got my 10 yard Bill Drill down to 3 seconds from over 7. Hoping to get to 1.6 by next year.

I've fully bought into dry fire using Ben Stoeger's books and the Mantis. I also watched a lot of Bob Vogel videos.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Someone helped me at an IDPA event and really shined a light on how bad my fundamentals are. I have been using the Mantis for just over a month and got my 10 yard Bill Drill down to 3 seconds from over 7. Hoping to get to 1.6 by next year.

I've fully bought into dry fire using Ben Stoeger's books and the Mantis. I also watched a lot of Bob Vogel videos.

The mantis is a great tool. I dont compete but I dry fire practice with it a few times a week and lately been taking it to the range for live fire. It’s helping me to build consistency in my grip and trigger engagement.

Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    I don't get to use mine nearly as much as I'd like, but recently purchased a DA/SA pistol, almost exclusively as a mantis host. No more click, rack, click, rack!

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Airsoft pistols make a great host, too. Sig Air Guns make true to life weight Sig P226’s that are SA/DA hammer fired. They cost about $70 and we use one to demo the MantisX in the store. Stop by to see a live demo of what it can really do. They keep improving the app by adding more live fire qualifications and improvements to the accuracy of it. They just recently added the FBI live fire qualification to the app.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD

One other thing I'd recommend is buying the IDPA and USPSA 1/3 targets from Stoeger's shop - I found it much, much easier to do A-zone shots after I spent time dry-firing at them. In fact, on days where I feel like a little more free-form dry-fire practice, I have a small stage set up in my basement where I can run around, shoot from cover, reload during significant movement, etc. in a single sequence. It's not big, but it's a nice break from running the book drills day after day. But the book drills are where it's at. I don't run the MantisX, but I'm sure it has some value, because people tend to screw it up when it comes to grip and form.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    One other thing I'd recommend is buying the IDPA and USPSA 1/3 targets from Stoeger's shop - I found it much, much easier to do A-zone shots after I spent time dry-firing at them. In fact, on days where I feel like a little more free-form dry-fire practice, I have a small stage set up in my basement where I can run around, shoot from cover, reload during significant movement, etc. in a single sequence. It's not big, but it's a nice break from running the book drills day after day. But the book drills are where it's at. I don't run the MantisX, but I'm sure it has some value, because people tend to screw it up when it comes to grip and form.

Definitely. I made my own out of cardboard. I don't have enough room for a stage but have just about 10 yards straight to a wall. Put up a few regular IDPA targets, some 1/3 size, and a few paper plates.

At first I hated dry fire but after the results I had yesterday I'm sold.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I picked up the MantisX yesterday (thanks Tyler Firearms!), and really like it so far. I think it will really help give good feedback. I've only used it for dry fire for now, looking forward to live fire.

Joined but it's just me and you. Probably should start a separate thread for it

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

???

GeorgeSSR

Jan 31, 2009
    There's a social component of the training aid that lets you compete against other people. Kind of like Fitbit.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Some of the reviews indicated it wasn't logging all of the trigger pulls, and was also inconsistent when comparing what the app was saying versus actual POI on a target during live fire. Has the h/w or app been updated. Do any of you that actually have it notice any problems with it?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Some of the reviews indicated it wasn't logging all of the trigger pulls, and was also inconsistent when comparing what the app was saying versus actual POI on a target during live fire. Has the h/w or app been updated. Do any of you that actually have it notice any problems with it?

never had either problem

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016

I haven't had that issue either. Dry fire only.

I use the Android app and had a few miss logs on trigger pulls but maybe 3 or 4 out of hundreds. The app has a lot of support. There is a little more info with tablets . I don't know why as the app doesn't designate as a tablet app.

I also have the device on the bottom of a mag vs. the rail. Mantis people said there is zero difference in how it logs the data. It's my only handgun so I don't want to have to keep removing it when I go to the range.

Rob1035

Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    I used mine at the range today, and overall it worked pretty well, I did notice it "counting" slide drops a couple of times. I need to go back through the app to delete those. I also noticed that the mounting screw was about to fall out when I finished my session. Make sure to check yours if you use it for live fire (was mounted on a PX4 in 40 FWIW)

Also, interesting that my scores were significantly lower, but I guess that's to be expected. Dry vs live is very different, and frankly I have a lot of work to do on both.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom