• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Anyone have any experiance installing (Meprolight) sights on a Glock 19 "Gen 4", in the Timonium/Towson area?

I've ordered a set of new sights for my Gen 4, but have limited and/or no tools to install myself.

So anyone local able to assist, and what's your price?

meproMPL10222glock.jpg

ITG

Jan 26, 2011
    Frederick County
    I've got a universal sight pusher for the rear and the tool for the front. You are welcome to use them if you can't find someone closer. I'm live up the street from OnTarget. I've replaced the sights on mine a few times.

This is the sight pusher:
    http://www.sightpusher.com/

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Needle nose pliers , a small hammer and a dowel is the only thing you need to install these things.

And a small file or stone.

To the OP, I'll be in Towson all weekend and I'll be happy to help you out. PM me and we can make arrangements if you are interested. No charge of course.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    You can damage the dovetail in the slide if the sight is too oversized and you force it regardless of the means you use to push it.

Mmmm I wonder what that point is. It required force to put em in but I wasn't sweating when I was done. I guess though, if there is damage it is done. No point in me taking it out and filing it if such a thing was necessary for my sight. Ill double check next time though.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Needle nose pliers , a small hammer and a dowel is the only thing you need to install these things.

option vs pliers is to grind or file down a socket so that it fits in down there. use a little loctite on the threads.

hammer and wooden dowel definitely works good. what's really nice is that you can bring it with you to the range and fine tune it as needed if you don't have it quite centered.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    And a small file or stone.

To the OP, I'll be in Towson all weekend and I'll be happy to help you out. PM me and we can make arrangements if you are interested. No charge of course.

I'll call you later tonight or tomorrow, I may come see you Saturday.

I'm off to the Timonium Gun Show on Sunday, and then Sunday night is party time :D :party29: :D

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    To remove the Glock factory Front sight: (PLASTIC ‘U’ and dot style)
    (Do this over a clean table so the small parts won’t be lost if they fall out of your fingers.)
    Holding the slide upside down in your left hand, remove the guide spring and barrel. Then insert a sharp pin or similar tool through the front of the slide through the round barrel opening. Stick the pin point into the tiny black plastic rod in between the two
    “ears” that hold the Front sight to the slide. Then squeeze the ears together with needle nose pliers and push the sight out through the hole.
    To remove the factory Rear sight: (PLASTIC )
    The Rear Plastic factory sight can be removed with careful tapping with the black dowel provided in the package or similar tool and a light hammer. (DON'T use the black plastic dowel to remove STEEL sights): The slide, after being carefully removed, should be wrapped in a protective cloth or thin piece of leather, then snugged into a shop vise anchored to a work table. Press the dowel tightly against the side of sight, matching the angle of it’s edge. Then use quick, firm taps with the hammer until the sight begins to slide out of the dovetail cut. Keep tapping until it is pushed all the way out.
    To remove the factory Front sight (STEEL night sight)
    This requires a 3/16 nut driver. Your gun store or range may have one or one can be purchased from most hardware stores. Depending on the brand, such a commercial driver may require some filing to make it’s tip thin enough to fit over the locking nut which is very near the edge of the slide.
    To remove the factory Rear sight: (STEEL)
    Steel sights can be VERY tight, depending on the brand and gun. It may not be possible to safely remove it from the slide without a professional Sight Vise ($50-100) If it can be removed, firm taps with a 3/8" or ¼“ steel punch should do it, making sure to put something between the punch and the old sight to keep from marking it. Lay thick cloth or leather over the slide to protect it in case the hammer or punch slips.
    To install the Front Sight: -Holding the slide right side up in your left hand, slide one of the “ears” on the underside of the sight into the oval hole; the other “ear” will remain outside the hole, resting on the edge of the hole. (Make sure the larger end of the Sight will be facing toward you when it is installed.)-Hold the sight in place with your left thumb; press a flat screwdriver blade against the remaining “ear”, pushing it in toward the other, squeezing it in so that your left thumb can then push down on the top of the sight and pop it all the way down into the oval hole. Make sure it is seated flat. -Now turn the slide over so you can see the bottom with the two “ears” now pushed through the hole. -Using needle nose pliers, or even strong tweezers, gently grip the small black “wedge” by it’s larger, thicker top portion. Insert it into the slot between the two “ears”. Push it in gently as far as you can with the pliers --then, you can actually use either the muzzle or breech end of the Glock barrel itself to crush fit the wedge down into the slot between the ears.
    To install the Rear SIGHT:
    Line up the dovetail on the sight with the dovetail slot on the slide; push it in as far as you can by hand. Then press the end of the black plastic rod that came with your sight against the widest flat base area of the sight over the dovetail; tap it down a bit at a time with a hammer. Watch to make sure it is sliding into the slot evenly and is flat with the top of the slide; it shouldn’t be riding up at an angle. Watch until the sight is centered on the slide; the edges of the sight should just line up with the edges of the flat top of the slide.

Front sights with mounting nuts should be secured with a 3/16 nut driver (needle nose pliers work for me) and secured with locktight blue.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Gun Connection has plenty of experience, and they are only right down the road.....:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom