• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    We may swap ARs for beer instead on this trip :D

So can we go "wild" so to speak at Green Ridge.. Making our own fires and shelters etc etc?

I would think we can gather "some" wood, but is chopping branches allowed?

And just to verify my beer comment above LOL, what's the law on camping with alcohol/open container?

MD state lands you can't drink alcohol, but does it happen, oh yes. I think it's designed as a law that is mostly used to get those causing trouble.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    All these restrictions & permits are why I go out of state for this kind of thing.
    Seriously. When I moved here first I looked at "out of the way" & "Wilderness" areas, The Western part of the State semed attractive at first but once I found out the nit-picking details, like everything being so regulated, permitted & controlled here that I go to PA or further afield to do "manly bonding in the woods" Stuff.:lol2:

There are places to do this, but they ain't round here.

corelokt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 13, 2010
    parkville
    We may swap ARs for beer instead on this trip :D

So can we go "wild" so to speak at Green Ridge.. Making our own fires and shelters etc etc?

I would think we can gather "some" wood, but is chopping branches allowed?

And just to verify my beer comment above LOL, what's the law on camping with alcohol/open container?

A backcountry permit is needed and you can't chop any standing trees even if they are dead. take a tarp if you want to rough it a little. campfires are o.k. but the beer Im not sure of. call Green Ridge State Forest@301 478 3124 whatever you pack in....PACK OUT. depending on how long your going to hike in, you could do a car shuttle(one way hike).and you will have alot of stream crossings(bring old sneakers) IMHO this sounds more like a party adventure than a survival test...Either way have fun and be safe

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    A backcountry permit is needed and you can't chop any standing trees even if they are dead. take a tarp if you want to rough it a little. campfires are o.k. but the beer Im not sure of. call Green Ridge State Forest@301 478 3124 whatever you pack in....PACK OUT. depending on how long your going to hike in, you could do a car shuttle(one way hike).and you will have alot of stream crossings(bring old sneakers) IMHO this sounds more like a party adventure than a survival test...Either way have fun and be safe

Doesn't mean we can't have a little fun :D

corelokt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 13, 2010
    parkville
    What we need is a place where you can plow through the woods in a 4x4 loaded down with beer and chainsaws to cut some firewood. leave the truck door open, crank the stereo up and shoot some guns. hell yeah.. we is roughing it now

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    What we need is a place where you can plow through the woods in a 4x4 loaded down with beer and chainsaws to cut some firewood. leave the truck door open, crank the stereo up and shoot some guns. hell yeah.. we is roughing it now

LMAO, sounds great :D

No looking for somewhere we can practice outdoor skills, like fire making and shelter building.

But I plan on doing it safely, and having fun.

The point is to practice the skills, in an environment that's safe yet enjoyable, and not put ourselves at risk being dependant on those skills before they are perfected.

Doesn't mean we can't have a day of hard work doing this stuff, then kick back in the late evening round the camp fire with a couple of beers LOL.

Practice makes perfect, and I'd rather train and be prepared, than not train and need those skills in an emergency, and learn at the worst possible time.

Besides its for a group of guys to learn outdoor skills, I myself am ex military, and have lived in the field once or twice ;)

garyad

As far as the beer at Greenridge I am not sure of the official policy but have been camping there for many years and have not had a problem. We have had the rangers stop in from time to time just to chat and they have never said a word about the beer/alcohol we were consuming at the time. They do require you to check in at the ranger station before you set up your campsite and they will supply you with a set of rules and regs that would answer your questions. In short they most likely will not bother you or give you a hard time as long as you and your group act civil and carry out any trash that is generated. It is a great place to camp and get away.

NHaze

Mar 15, 2011
    Shepherdstown, WV
    As far as the beer at Greenridge I am not sure of the official policy but have been camping there for many years and have not had a problem. We have had the rangers stop in from time to time just to chat and they have never said a word about the beer/alcohol we were consuming at the time. They do require you to check in at the ranger station before you set up your campsite and they will supply you with a set of rules and regs that would answer your questions. In short they most likely will not bother you or give you a hard time as long as you and your group act civil and carry out any trash that is generated. It is a great place to camp and get away.

+1 I was a member of a group and camped at Greenridge several times a year for many years. It can be great fun and as long as you're respectful and leave the place cleaner than you found it you should be fine. I was always sorry I was never old enough to visit a certain club that used to exist in Paw Paw WV before they closed it down...:(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom