• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    For the most part, lowers are lowers. There are far fewer manufacturers than there are brand names. Just a few companies make them for all the rest.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    For the most part, lowers are lowers. There are far fewer manufacturers than there are brand names. Just a few companies make them for all the rest.

That's what I figured, aside from just the branding... So why such a wide spread in pricing??

I don't have any real requirements at this point for a lower, as I can always do trigger work later.
    Only thing I'm planning as far as the lower is the Magpul PRS stock.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    After suggestions and research I think I may go with a SPR (MK 12).

Thanks to everyone for the tips, and Drmsparks for the first suggestion of a SPR.

Here's my initial thoughts on my build list, so any comments welcome.

BCM BCM4 Lower Receiver Group - Lower
    BCM Mk 12 Mod 3X-Bravo (DD14) - Upper
    BCM BCMGunFighter Charging Handle - Medium
    JP Tactical Compensator - Black
    SUREGRIP ERGO Tactical Deluxe Grip Palm Shelf
    Harris S-LM Bipod
    MagPul PRS stock
    Magpul MBUS Gen 2 Rear Back Up Iron Sight
    Magpul MBUS Gen 2 Front Back Up Iron Sight
    Magpul BAD (Battery Assist Device)

Totals out at just over $2100, with no optics. And also allows me to buy in stages instead of throwing 2k down on a complete rifle.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville

Thanks to everyone for the tips, and Drmsparks for the first suggestion of a SPR.

Harris S-LM Bipod
    MagPul PRS stock

Totals out at just over $2100, with no optics. And also allows me to buy in stages instead of throwing 2k down on a complete rifle.

Id switch the MBUS for KAC micros but the rest of the build looks great!.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Id switch the MBUS for KAC micros but the rest of the build looks great!.

HaHa, That's kind of a relief that the only complaint is the smallest part that I'll probably use the least one I have optics.

I was actually thinking about the Troy Industries folding sights, or the BCM stamped sights (made by Troy).

Or maybe even dump the sights and just put cash towards the optics, but I'm thinking with iron sights I can use the rifle before I get scope.

Thanks for the feedback anyway :thumbsup:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Associated gun clubs, just west of baltimore (marriottsville road).

You can get a decent optic for under 1k.

I have this:

Valdada%208%20-%20Version%202.jpg

http://www.valdada.com/product/053922b8-e50c-4387-aa68-05e37440359e.aspx

But you can get it lower than MSRP for several places.

You always have the best stuff, those of us with cheap optics are envious.

I would go with .223/5.56 for a first AR, cheap and fun to shoot you can always get a 2nd one later. They are fun to build, I have put together about 5 of them including one for my father. Picking up three more lowers to build another two and archive a lower for future use.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    First off, see the Sticky Apone and Russ D put together in the rifle section. They really said it all.

I think there are better choices than an AR style rifle in 308 (M1a, Scar, LWRC) come to mind...

5.56 is much cheaper to shoot than 308.

I really think about <600 yards when I think AR and there are a number of combinations that can do that. I can only think of three ranges that allow longer shooting (Bridgeville- not open yet) Quantico- not open often, and one range (Reade range?- up near Altoona)

Most AR's you build for 200 will be fine out to 600.

mmmm M1A.......you make me drool. NEED ONE

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    You always have the best stuff, those of us with cheap optics are envious.

Jeep has the best stuff (even his 22's have ACOG's).

I've had my play rifle. It was time to graduate to a serious rifle. I'm reducing the number of firearms I have and replacing them with nicer ones. Put the training miles on the cheap rifles so to speak.....

I've really come to learn the buy once cry once....

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007

Harris S-LM Bipod
    MagPul PRS stock

If you're gonna spend that much and stay with 5.56, get an OBR Lite or PredatAR from larue.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Jeep has the best stuff (even his 22's have ACOG's).

I've had my play rifle. It was time to graduate to a serious rifle. I'm reducing the number of firearms I have and replacing them with nicer ones. Put the training miles on the cheap rifles so to speak.....

I've really come to learn the buy once cry once....

I know what you mean, I have been starting to turn over my collection and reached the point where I just want fewer, better, and less to care for. Of course fewer is a subjective definition. I do have a high end rifle build in mind at some point but something has to go first!

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    If you're gonna spend that much and stay with 5.56, get an OBR Lite or PredatAR from larue.

Not sure I'd agree, as the OBR and Predator are $1500 and $1900.

And that's bone stock, without any of the addtional hardware/furniture I've listed above.

Adding an upgraded stock and bipod alone are going to rack another $400+ on top of that.

So far, with a little help I think I've spec'd out a pretty good 18" SPR, but I could be wrong LOL.

Of course, that's why I'm here, to get all the advice possible :thumbsup:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

Harris S-LM Bipod
    MagPul PRS stock

If you're going to make that many changes to your lower versus what comes with it, you'd be better off building the lower yourself and upgrade the trigger, too. Otherwise you're paying for stuff you don't need. I'd skip the ERGO grip with the shelf, it doesn't do much over a standard ERGO grip and the shelf adds unnecessary weight to the build. Also, a GG&G bipod will work with a railed handguard without adapters.

Take a look at my build http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=59275

Jim

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Not sure I'd agree, as the OBR and Predator are $1500 and $1900.

And that's bone stock, without any of the addtional hardware/furniture I've listed above.

Adding an upgraded stock and bipod alone are going to rack another $400+ on top of that.

So far, with a little help I think I've spec'd out a pretty good 18" SPR, but I could be wrong LOL.

Of course, that's why I'm here, to get all the advice possible :thumbsup:

But with the larue you're getting a rifle built for accuracy, that will come with a target that shows just how accurate your rifle can shoot, you wont just be throwing parts together and not knowing how well it'll shoot. Of course with the AR platform you're most likely going to get a good gun out of it.

Depending where you shop the bipod and stock wouldnt be close to 400.00

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    If you're going to make that many changes to your lower versus what comes with it, you'd be better off building the lower yourself and upgrade the trigger, too. Otherwise you're paying for stuff you don't need. I'd skip the ERGO grip with the shelf, it doesn't do much over a standard ERGO grip and the shelf adds unnecessary weight to the build. Also, a GG&G bipod will work with a railed handguard without adapters.

Take a look at my build http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=59275

Jim

That's a good idea actually, and a trtigger upgrade is something I would think about.
    Just have to think about (and research) how much work is involved, and what I believe my talent level is to do the upgrade LOL.

Yeah agreed, the Ergo grip with shelf is proabbly the one (tacticool ;)) thing I added to the build, so it wouldn't be the end of the world to lose that.

And I could even skip the cost of the iron sights if I have optics.
    I just figured I could fire iron sights until I can afford optics.

I did look at a GG&G Bipod for around ~$170 (?), which still seemed more than the Harris and adaptor from Bravo Compnay, which comes out around $140.
    Is one really better than the other quality and stability wise?

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    But with the larue you're getting a rifle built for accuracy, that will come with a target that shows just how accurate your rifle can shoot, you wont just be throwing parts together and not knowing how well it'll shoot. Of course with the AR platform you're most likely going to get a good gun out of it.

Depending where you shop the bipod and stock wouldnt be close to 400.00

I think the other thing I read in the "AR Build Info Sticky", and I could be wrong.
    Is you can't buy a LaRue lower, without buying a Larue upper.. is that true?

As I'm planning a part build (as and when funds allow), getting a Larue would force me to buy upper and lower at the same time, right?

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Holy hell. It's not rocket science.:lol:

Just put something together you like, can afford and go shoot it.

HaHa, but then there's a reason I drive a 370Z NISMO, and not a Honda Civic ;)

But you're right, not trying to make it rocket science, but I'd rather have a quality build first time.

And as Dave told me today, I'd be better off building a lower with upgraded trigger, than buying a pre-build lower and having to swap the trigger out for another.
    That does seem like wasted money/parts, so he makes sense there.

P.S. Big thanks to Dave (Drmsparks) for letting me shoot his SPR today, awesome rifle, and great fun.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    It's pretty hard not to waste money on ARs. :lol2:

I get were you are coming from, though. Just keep doing more research.

I prefer to assemble both receivers from bare bones just for complete customization, but that also involves more money if you don't have the tools you need.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah for sure ;)

And living in an apartment, I'm kind of limited on workspace/workshop, and tools.

Any suggestions on an alternative lower, with pre-installed upgraded trigger, and rifle stock buffer tube (for simple install of Magpul PRS) ?

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    You can build a lower on a small desk with a minimum of tools.

Roll pin punches, needle nose pliers, a plastic hammer (I use a reloading hammer), an x-acto knife, A stock wrench for the buffer tube (you can borrow one of those) some tape....

A Precision trigger might be harder (ask Russ about that).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom