• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I've been looking at the IMR-3031 and -4198 but as of yet hadn't made any real decision. To date I've only used Unique for my 9mm and .38spl loads and I'm not seeing a lot on using that powder. It's looking like the 3031 may be the ticket. :)

So given the polygonal(?) rifling used I had been siting away from the .459 sized bullets....but if I understand correctly you are using cast bullets of that diameter?

-tnx,
    Jeff

The Lyman 47th Edition lists several loads for 45-70 using CB's of various weights. Most are well under the pressure range a Pedersoli Sharps will handle. I'm sure there are many more published recipes out there. I've used Unique in many rifle caliber loads to push CB's at low velocities and pressures.

The Pedersoli Sharps rifle has standard rifling, not polygonal. Typically CB's are sized .001 larger than JB's. As I said, I've cast .457's and fired them, but they are not as accurate as .458 JB's or .459 CB's in my rifle.

If you have an 1874 Sharps and are not shooting and reloading for it, you're missing a ton of fun.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Lyman 47th Reload Data Capture.JPG
      Lyman 47th Reload Data Capture.JPG
      59.9 KB · Views: 1,303

JWLaRue

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Nov 23, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    Ahhhh...did not know that going 0.001" oversized for CB was typical usage. (I've only done jacketed bullet reloading to date)

The Lyman book is one that I don't have yet....it's on my list.

-thanks again!

Jeff

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Ahhhh...did not know that going 0.001" oversized for CB was typical usage. (I've only done jacketed bullet reloading to date)

The Lyman book is one that I don't have yet....it's on my list.

-thanks again!

Jeff

For rifles, you'll find it's not uncommon to shoot CB's slightly larger than JB's in the same gun. Pistols, at their velocities and pressures - not so much.

For example, I reload for many different 30 cal .308 rifles. My JB's are .308 and my CB's are sized to .309 with gas checks. Lead is softer than copper. At higher velocities having the bullet engage the rifling properly usually produces the best accuracy.

For handguns, my CB's are usually sized to the same diameter as the JB's I use.

Consider this:

In the 19th century people who reloaded for their firearms were casting boolits out of who knows what alloy using hearths and campfires. They did not have Dillon, RCBS, Lee etc. presses, powder scales and dies or all the other equipment we have today available to them.

But, those folks were very successful shooting 1874 Sharps rifles (and many others) to hit targets the size of a buffalo several hundred yards away.

My points?
    • Know your firearms and what reloads they are capable of firing - safely.
    • Select the appropriate components.
    • Maintain due diligence in the entire reloading process .
    • All reloading mistakes must be left on the reloading bench.

Please reload and shoot safely.

:thumbsup:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    According to Pedersoli their 1874 Sharps will handle smokeless loads up to 29,007 CUP and BP loads up to 25,000 CUP. There is plenty of published load data on a wide variety of bullets and powder choices in books and online from powder and bullet manufacturers.

For smokeless powder I started with IMR-3031 because I have it on hand and have many years of experience with it. Most of the bullets I've loaded are cast 405's or 500's. While some published data says you can load up to 49 grs of 3031 behind a 400 gr boolit and still be at 26,300 CUP, that's a little stout for me. I've kept my loads in the 39 to 40 gr range.

For BP, I've used 65 grains (by volume) of FFg with a fiber wad. Low pressure and lots of white smoke. Fun!

.458 seems to be the preferred bullet diameter for JB's. My CB's are 459. Lee makes an 405/457 mold which I have. .457 CB's seem a little small in diameter but so far shoot as well as the Oregon Trail .459 CB's:
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...rail-laser-cast-rifle-bullets-per/1330861.uts

Again, I'm by no means an expert. I'm learning how to load and shoot 45-70 rounds in my Sharps. YMMV.

There are several MDS members who have a lot more experience with this rifle and reloads for it than I.

Hope that helps.

IF that rifle will handle the pressures you're showing, I highly recommend the Cast Performance 405 gr WLNGC boolit and Alliant (formerly Hercules) Reloader 7.

Take a minutes to read the article and look at the loads given.

I use the Cast Performance 405 gr boolit and the load they show for RL-7.
    Very mild on the shoulder. Lower chamber pressures for the velocity.
    This load (40.0 grains) runs right at 1600 in my lever gun.

42.0 grains is very accurate too, but, after FIVE rounds, I'm done with that load.
    (It's pretty darned stout.)

http://www.realguns.com/archives/117.htm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom