• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I know, I know. This has probably been covered a million times.

That is why I am asking here. I am literally covered over with information about 9mm defense ammo. Just give me one good choice. LOL

I don't care how much it costs. No solid gold bullets please.

It will be for every day carry in a Sig Sauer P938.

If I need to use it, it needs to work, and work well. Stoping power, feed well, etc.

It would also be nice that if I have to use it, some lawyer would have trouble making issue of the ammo type like they tried to do a few years back with the Black Talon ammo.

What do you folks use?

Thanks guys

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Federal HST or Speer gold dots. Buy a box or two of each and see which works better for you.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel. Uses a faster burning powder to have consistent performance in compact and subcompact pistols. Or Hornady Critical Defense, the FlexLock polymer tip helps it feed easier.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I like Federal 9 mm +p+ BPLE 115 grain

Formerly known as Illinois State Police load. Widely known for successful stoppage of aggression.

Very reasonably priced and round nose feeds well in just about any gun.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/50-round-box-9mm-p-federal-115-grain-hollow-point-ammo-9bple

$17.95 for 50 rounds

https://youtu.be/ITIFDTRWz0c

Ayoob says: http://www.tactical-life.com/gear/defense-loads-of-choice-the-word-from-the-street/2/

Damn, that's a good price.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I run Cor Bon 9mm +P 90gr JHP. Loud bang, low recoil and good knock down power. Has fed in every gun I put them in. Nice round. Chris

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    A good hollow point that has low flash, manageable recoil, and is accurate. I use Federal HST 124s in 9mm. I have also tried Hornady Critical Defense, Federal +p+ 115gr BPLE in 9mm and liked them as well(the +p+ is definitely "hotter"). I use 165gr HSTs in my M&P 40...it doesn't seem to care for Remington Golden Sabers accuracy wise.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    147 HSTs are sweet and so are 147 gold dots...but 115 gr DPX's+ps are essentially THE best due to reliable expansion through bone. They are expensive though. With traditional hollow-points(hst & gold dot), heavy for caliber (147) equals or surpasses performance of the 124+p without the additional recoil/blast/wear of the +p. non +p 124 loads will be substantially outperformed by the 147 gr.

Here's data stuff...
    http://www.brassfetcher.com/Bone Simulant/9mm Luger Bone Test.html

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

Last edited:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    The only way to know what's best for you is to shoot some of it at the range. Buy a box of each, spend an hour at the range and see which one fits your needs. Find the most accurate, the one that maybe doesn't bite as much as the others, ask a friend to come and see which has the lowest muzzle flash. You know the drill. Once you find THAT cartridge, practice with it exclusively. Know your handgun and it's ammo.

As far as stopping power, I think the heavier the better. I would carry a 147 gr if you're looking at 9mm. The 230 gr in 45 acp. This is up to you.

Everyone is going to have an opinion, do your research and try to make a wise choice. Good luck on a very difficult decision.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OP , we hear you, and feel your frustration. You look into this, at the various mfgs, published tests, and recomendations from fellow shooters, and find probably a cpl dozen highly recomended rounds.

The Bad News for you is there really are a cpl dozen very good to excellent options. And all of the better rounds in a given subcategory perform pretty closely, with only subtle variations.

This is also very Good News, in that you would have to try hard on purpose to make a poor choice.

You made no mention of actual or perceived need for either lots of penetration of hard barriers, nor reduced penetration on purpose, so we'll skip those specialized factors.

+P+ , and some +P has increased recoil. Often for full sized- ish pistols this isn't a big deal. But for subcompacts, and recoil sensitive shooters, it can negatively effect control and follow up shots.

If you pinned me to the wall for an all around load for most shooters from most guns, I would point to 124gr Gold Dot , of the plain vanilla std velocity. But there are another dozen 124 and 115 rounds very close that I would use without any hesitation or second thought.

For me personally, using std size guns, I'm a fan of 115 +p+ , and for the $ the referenced 9BPLE is outstanding, and I have used it with good result on large animals.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I carry 124 +P Gold Dots personally and would also carry 147 HST's if I could have found any last time I bought carry rounds.

You really can't go wrong with 124 Gold Dots or the 147/150 HST's. Winchester T-Series would be another viable option.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'm a fan of Hornady Critical Defense and G2 RIPthis is a bad choice, particularly in a smaller calibre like 9mm or .380.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIP is not good defensive ammo. The trochars don't penetrate enough to really do anything, so you're left with a caliber-sized slug as the only thing causing trauma to important structures of the body.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    "I am literally covered over with information about 9mm defense ammo. Just give me one good choice"

Really?? What makes you think you're not going to get 'covered over with information' asking that question here?
    There's literally hundreds of threads with the same question for a reason......

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    147 HSTs are sweet and so are 147 gold dots...but 115 gr DPX's+ps are essentially THE best due to reliable expansion through bone. They are expensive though. With traditional hollow-points(hst & gold dot), heavy for caliber (147) equals or surpasses performance of the 124+p without the additional recoil/blast/wear of the +p. non +p 124 loads will be substantially outperformed by the 147 gr.

Here's data stuff...
    http://www.brassfetcher.com/Bone Simulant/9mm Luger Bone Test.html

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads