Took this on a trade, any value? Leupold scope on Westernfield M72?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Took this as partial payment for a SKS and Mosin. I don't know the first thing about 30-30, optics, and lever action guns. Scope says Leupold and is marked 2x7 Vari-x II. Its on a Westernfield - Montgomery Ward M72 gun. Action and safety seems to work. Any value here? This was taken to reduce the bill $250.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_1538.JPG
      IMG_1538.JPG
      56.3 KB · Views: 377
    • IMG_1539.JPG
      IMG_1539.JPG
      30.6 KB · Views: 376
    • IMG_1540.JPG
      IMG_1540.JPG
      37.1 KB · Views: 380
    • IMG_1541.JPG
      IMG_1541.JPG
      43.2 KB · Views: 386
    • IMG_1542.JPG
      IMG_1542.JPG
      37.9 KB · Views: 380
    • IMG_1543.JPG
      IMG_1543.JPG
      25 KB · Views: 373

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Looks like a nice Whitetail rig, worth the 250 easy, maybe 350 as a complete rig, the scope is 100 to 150.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'll disagree slightly with Augie here a bit. I'll say as a complete package on the 2nd hand market you got $225-250 total. Marlin and Winchester 30-30s can routinely be had at 250 often times with scopes.

You'd have better luck selling separate.

I will agree you have a good white tail gun

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    your rifle was made by mossberg. the scope is worth as much as the rifle.'
    i'd say you got your price value but i wouldnt go out of my way to buy this.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Well darn. I thought I did better than that. I guess his is not a long term investment type of gun.

Looks like it might be a good shooter. The scope is so clear, might just give it a whirl at the range.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That is a Wards branded Mossberg M472, not a Marlin. Excellent rifles, but don't have the name recognition of the Marlin it resembles ( or Winchester).

That scope setup on a .30-30 is controversial among lever fans. Figure 1/3 will prefer either the open sights, or peep sight. 1/3 will prefer low power scope, mounted as low as possible, and 1/3 will prefer the large 3-9 variable, mounted high in "over/ under rings" . In this case, you would have wider sales apeal selling the scope by itself.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    That is a Wards branded Mossberg M472, not a Marlin. Excellent rifles, but don't have the name recognition of the Marlin it resembles ( or Winchester).

That scope setup on a .30-30 is controversial among lever fans. Figure 1/3 will prefer either the open sights, or peep sight. 1/3 will prefer low power scope, mounted as low as possible, and 1/3 will prefer the large 3-9 variable, mounted high in "over/ under rings" . In this case, you would have wider sales apeal selling the scope by itself.

Those rings appear to be high mount rings which allow the shooter to still use the irons. So he should get $300.00 if the rifle and scope are in good condition. A few shots to confirm the zero and keep the target... would be a good idea. And help in the sale. Many of those older rifles were made far better than today's "brand" name quality shooters.

If the trigger rotates down with the lever... It's a Moosberg. If not... It's a Marlin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom