• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I think Hogan has to do something for us in THIS term or he will loose some of the support he needs to win a second term. Ehrlich made that mistake and it cost him!

And then we got MOM. Brilliant..

And Ehrlich starved to death...oh wait no...he just got on with his life and we got taxed for rain.

Hum. I think maybe it cost us more than it cost him..

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    I think Hogan has to do something for us in THIS term or he will loose some of the support he needs to win a second term. Ehrlich made that mistake and it cost him!

When you say "us" do you mean the empirical us or the 2A us? Because if you mean the 2A us you may very well be as disappointed as a hilary supporter was last night.:lol2:

deerhtr

Nov 22, 2011
    eastern shore
    No misunderstanding. She applied under self-defense and included the police report of the incident. The interviewing trooper told her that MSP did not issue permits for "crimes of opportunity" and that she should brings business ownership paperwork and deposit slips to her in person interview.

so she cant get one because it was a crime of opportunity. but being robbed with your business receipts is what exactly?:confused:

And then we got MOM. Brilliant..

And Ehrlich starved to death...oh wait no...he just got on with his life and we got taxed for rain.

Hum. I think maybe it cost us more than it cost him..

Hogan is toothless...he can do nothing the GA can't reverse, nor can he stop anything the GA wants to pass...He does however have some wiggle room when it comes to 2A issues, wear and carry issues specifically.Frankly I would rather him make his stand on 2A issues now and lose in 2018 than wait for a 2nd term that history and statistics say will never happen...

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Hogan is not going to win in 2018 if the senate election is any indication of the mindset of central Maryland dems...

It's inconsequential. The results of the 2016 election mirror the 2012 election closely. See the State's election results. Not much different.

http://elections.maryland.gov/elections/2012/results/general/index.html

http://elections.maryland.gov/elections/2016/results/general/index.html

Hogan won in MD partly for the same reason Trump won nationally; low Dem turnout.
    ~900k people didn't vote in MD in 2014, but they did in 2012 and 2016.

Cw4Z8PwUUAAw_9a.jpg:large

It's inconsequential. The results of the 2016 election mirror the 2012 election closely. See the State's election results. Not much different.

http://elections.maryland.gov/elections/2012/results/general/index.html

http://elections.maryland.gov/elections/2016/results/general/index.html

Hogan won in MD partly for the same reason Trump won nationally; low Dem turnout.
    ~900k people didn't vote in MD in 2014, but they did in 2012 and 2016.

Cw4Z8PwUUAAw_9a.jpg:large

Until Mike and Mike start their rhetoric..add that to those he angered by not supporting Trump and it's going to be uphill the whole way...

Snav

Feb 27, 2013
    Montgomery Co.
    Any ordinary citizen applying
    for license could be "factually" denied a permit because no one had
    actually threatened him. Thus, he would have no "need" to defend
    himself. Similarly, if threatened, the permit could be denied on
    the basis that the official police agencies were capable of
    handling the matter so that he had no "need" to defend himself.

Schubert v. Debard

:sad20:

the irony is that permits are denied because 'police agencies are capable of handling'.. yet they have no duty to defend.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    If an applicant is denied a carry permit, and the attendant capacity to defend him/her self, then doesn't the responsibility to protect that person revert to the MSP? Doesn't the denial in effect create a "special relationship" with law enforcement rougly comparable to the relationship and responsibility addressed by various courts with reference to incarcerated persons and persons involuntarily committed to a mental health facility? I know this is an expansion of a prior interpretation, but might it not an approach worth pursuing?

The import of this would be that the MSP, and by association the State of Maryland, would be financially liable for costs, losses and damages incurred by the injured party.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    If an applicant is denied a carry permit, and the attendant capacity to defend him/her self, then doesn't the responsibility to protect that person revert to the MSP? Doesn't the denial in effect create a "special relationship" with law enforcement rougly comparable to the relationship and responsibility addressed by various courts with reference to incarcerated persons and persons involuntarily committed to a mental health facility? I know this is an expansion of a prior interpretation, but might it not an approach worth pursuing?

The import of this would be that the MSP, and by association the State of Maryland, would be financially liable for costs, losses and damages incurred by the injured party.

I don't think even a drunk MD Judge would except that interpretation. But hey outside the box thinking like that is what might be needed to advance the ball here, and after all gets the lawyers at least thinking about cashing in both ways.:innocent0

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

I doubt it works but love the thought process.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    I don't think even a drunk MD Judge would except that interpretation. But hey outside the box thinking like that is what might be needed to advance the ball here, and after all gets the lawyers at least thinking about cashing in both ways.:innocent0

A little over ten years ago the thought of widely accepted same gender marriage, let alone the notion that this would be deemed to be a constitutionally protected right, was considered a fantasy. What moved it forward was ongoing public agitation that led to legal challenges. As is generally the case, private opoinion is followed by public opinion. Public opinion is expanded by public agitation. This leads to the emergence of informal policy. Legal challenges lead to clarification of formal policy reflected in legal rulings. That private opinion now enjoys the privilege of formal legal status. That's generally how it works.

The premis that there are essentially two sources of personal protection--the individual and the state--and if the state forecloses the individual's ability to protect him/her self and loved ones, then primary responsibility falls to the state shouldn't be a stretch at all.

I greatly appreciate and benefit from the wisdom and competence displayed by members of this community. I also note a general reticence to engage in high visibiity broad based public action on behalf of our values and principles. This is where the left has dominated. Their domination has contributed to the advancement of the process I outlined above, which has led to the advancement of their ideas and values as we have seen.

We are ill-served by assuming that state houses are our only arena of action, and that law suits are our primary effective tool. They are useful at the latter stages of a campaign, not as the tip of the spear. This is one lesson we will hopefully take away from the victories of the left. We have the terrain; we simply need to mobilize the troops. (Have you seen the national map showing the voting majorities by county? Astounding.)

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    A little over ten years ago the thought of widely accepted same gender marriage, let alone the notion that this would be deemed to be a constitutionally protected right, was considered a fantasy. What moved it forward was ongoing public agitation that led to legal challenges. As is generally the case, private opoinion is followed by public opinion. Public opinion is expanded by public agitation. This leads to the emergence of informal policy. Legal challenges lead to clarification of formal policy reflected in legal rulings. That private opinion now enjoys the privilege of formal legal status. That's generally how it works.

The premis that there are essentially two sources of personal protection--the individual and the state--and if the state forecloses the individual's ability to protect him/her self and loved ones, then primary responsibility falls to the state shouldn't be a stretch at all.

I greatly appreciate and benefit from the wisdom and competence displayed by members of this community. I also note a general reticence to engage in high visibiity broad based public action on behalf of our values and principles. This is where the left has dominated. Their domination has contributed to the advancement of the process I outlined above, which has led to the advancement of their ideas and values as we have seen.

We are ill-served by assuming that state houses are our only arena of action, and that law suits are our primary effective tool. They are useful at the latter stages of a campaign, not as the tip of the spear. This is one lesson we will hopefully take away from the victories of the left. We have the terrain; we simply need to mobilize the troops. (Have you seen the national map showing the voting majorities by county? Astounding.)

Oh there's no question that this would be a lay up if and when the courts are moved even a little to the right. And I agree this can not be a first salvo in this battle. If we are talking about a state with a reasonable judiciary or even a friendly Federal Circuit. Just not THIS state or THIS time. The biggest problem we have isn't non involvement from the citizens but that the legislature has no reason to be worried over their seats with regard to this issue. And if the district lines don't get redrawn they never will. One only has to look to FSA 2013 as proof with the over whelming citizen response against then for and it past anyway. Some will say the pressure lessened it more likely the friendly folks in Annapolis were able to do the best they could and not pressure from us, but I guess people a lot smarter than me can debate this until its repealed.:D

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co

No. MSP's, or more accurately the secretary of the SP's, decision is not that they will provide protection from a perceived threat, it is that the individual does not have a threat in need of defense. This, to me, is where MSP will get their asses sued off at some point. Someone will make a claim to a threat and MSP will say there is no threat. Said applicant will be denied and subsequently be assaulted or worse. The applicant's family or friends will then sue the hell out of the MSP. The is no duty for LE to protect anyone, but to restrict one's right to defend themselves takes it to a civil rights and criminal level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom