Purchase requirements for US Permanent Resident.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC

Attachments

• NoSpoon.jpg
      NoSpoon.jpg
      9.9 KB · Views: 143

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    What about legal residents still waiting for their greencard? I also know someone whose in a similar predicament except he doesn't have his greencard yet. He has been living here for probably 5ish years...

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    What about legal residents still waiting for their greencard? I also know someone whose in a similar predicament except he doesn't have his greencard yet. He has been living here for probably 5ish years...

If he's waiting for a green card, then I'm not quite sure how he's legal..???

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

That maybe harder. If he can prove that he has hunting license, he can buy long guns ( not 100% on this though)

He has to have permanent status, not temporary visa etc.

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    Thanks for the reply. He has a work visa (professional) btw. I've seen the hunting license "loophole" but he apparently went to two different shops and they emphatically said no. The way he described the interaction though makes me think they thought he was illegal. I doubt he'll try again though until after he gets his GC, but I was curious after seeing this thread started.

anand14

Jul 24, 2012
    Visas also allow you to be in the US legally. Typically people can obtain a student or work visa. Student visas are usually considered temporary.
    After having gone through the Immigration process myself (it took 16 years to become a US Citizen), I can throw a few facts.

Student visas (F-1) and Work Visas (H1-B/L1) are considered non-immigrant visas. They are not allowed to buy firearms.

The Green Card is a status change (from Non-Resident Alien to Resident Alien) and requires that your employer change your status from H1-B to Green Card via the Employment Route. It takes about 4 - 5 years.

I was not allowed to purchase a firearm back in 2001 when I was on an H1-B visa. The owner of the gun store in Ohio was very knowledgeable and asked me to come back after I got my Green Card (Resident Alien status).

I have had no issues buying firearms with my Green Card. Gun stores do require that you produce the Green card during the buying process.

I am a US citizen now and my Driver's License is sufficient to purchase firearms.

Hope that information helps someone.

PS: I have heard about the possibility of owning long guns on an H1-B visa if one has taken a Hunter Safety course but I personally have not seen anyone do that.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Visas also allow you to be in the US legally. Typically people can obtain a student or work visa. Student visas are usually considered temporary.

After having gone through the Immigration process myself (it took 16 years to become a US Citizen), I can throw a few facts.

Student visas (F-1) and Work Visas (H1-B/L1) are considered non-immigrant visas. They are not allowed to buy firearms.

The Green Card is a status change (from Non-Resident Alien to Resident Alien) and requires that your employer change your status from H1-B to Green Card via the Employment Route. It takes about 4 - 5 years.

I was not allowed to purchase a firearm back in 2001 when I was on an H1-B visa. The owner of the gun store in Ohio was very knowledgeable and asked me to come back after I got my Green Card (Resident Alien status).

I have had no issues buying firearms with my Green Card. Gun stores do require that you produce the Green card during the buying process.

I am a US citizen now and my Driver's License is sufficient to purchase firearms.

PS: I have heard about the possibility of owning long guns on an H1-B visa if one has taken a Hunter Safety course but I personally have not seen anyone do that.

Agreed, you have to be a "permanent resident" or "Resident Alien", which he is not.

A visa is not a green card, so the answer is a big NO, sorry.

shubin6

Mar 20, 2012
    AA County
    In many states a F1 student have to get a hunting license first, and then to buy long guns, but in some states F1 also can buy hand guns.

However their requests almost always are denied by FBI so they have to pass the appeal process.

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL

Agreed, you have to be a "permanent resident" or "Resident Alien", which he is not.

A visa is not a green card, so the answer is a big NO, sorry.

Anand14, first congrats on making it through the process! As an immigrant's son and someone whose wife and many friends are immigrants, I know how long and arduous the process can be. My wife is finally going down the citizenship path now so we'll see how long it takes. Finally thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience. It is very helpful.

Trooper, I should have been more specific about visas, but since it was late and since you seemed confused about legal status without GCs (common misconception btw since our immigrant system is overly complex) I was a bit too brief. A professional work visa (EB3) is considered an immigrant visa and they ARE considered permanent residents, though they don't have all of the benefits of a GC (like having to reapply, i believe, every 2 years)... hence why people apply for the status change.

Regardless, I was curious if anyone else has had this designation and used a hunting license to purchase a long gun since I have heard of this being done.

Thanks!

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    In many states a F1 student have to get a hunting license first, and then to buy long guns, but in some states F1 also can buy hand guns.

However their requests almost always are denied by FBI so they have to pass the appeal process.

Interesting. Sounds like this may be a state by state issue? Considering we are in MD, I wouldn't hold out much hope. Next time I'm in a shop for another toy, I'll have to see if they can clear this up.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom