Transfer AND Purchase in less than 30 days?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I've been waiting for a little over 2 months but what the heck, it didn't cost anything other than a stamp.

I just saw a Notary at my bank, and they didn't charge me :D

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    So I couldn't see a Notary yesterday as the bank was so busy, but I did complete the application.

Now before I find a Notary today, what did y'all put down for "Describe nature of collecting activities:"

Is this like a "Good and Substantial Reason" ? LOL

Right now I just put: "Personal Collection and Recreational"

That's all I put. "Personal collection." Went through fine. Unless you put "repelling the aliens from Quoron Z who keep shouting at me through my car's air conditioning vents" I think you're fine.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I've been waiting for a little over 2 months but what the heck, it didn't cost anything other than a stamp.

Mine was about two months and I had to call and talk to somebody to get finalizing it put in motion. Like most things up there seem to go, the background was done in a couple of days and it sat around forever waiting until someone got in a mood to sign the form letter and put a stamp on an envelope.

doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    Sorry to dig up a month old thread but I was curious. Is there someone I can email or call about getting a new letter mailed out to me? I lost mine years ago. Not sure if I even need it, but I plan on pickup back up with the "collecting" shortly and don't want to wait the 30 days.

Do they just look this up when I fill out the forms, or do I need to present my Approved form?

It would just be nice to have the approved letter for my records if I can get a duplicate.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Sorry to dig up a month old thread but I was curious. Is there someone I can email or call about getting a new letter mailed out to me? I lost mine years ago. Not sure if I even need it, but I plan on pickup back up with the "collecting" shortly and don't want to wait the 30 days.

Do they just look this up when I fill out the forms, or do I need to present my Approved form?

It would just be nice to have the approved letter for my records if I can get a duplicate.

No idea on duplicates, but you just check a box stating you are a collector when filling out the paperwork. No need for the letter.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Hey guys,

Quick question, I know (as I'm not a collector) that I have to wait 30 days between "purchasing" firearms.

What I'm not sure about is the period between a transfer (receiving), and then purchasing a new firearm.

If I complete (as receiver) a transfer today, can I also buy a new firearm today/tomorrow, or do I have to wait the full 30 days?

Cheers :thumbsup:

I'm not sure about your question, but becoming a collector in Maryland is one of the easiest things you can do. You can download the form right the MSP website. Simple to fill out, get it notarized and just mail it in. And in ten day's or so you will be a collector to. Don't hold me to the ten days. The handgun section is very busy these days.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I sent mine in a few months ago it took about a 2 months to get it back .

There was a time when the MSP were taking two months to complete the process because the lady that processed the collector request forms retired and a trooper had to pick up the duties added to his other duties.

But they have someone else doing it now I believe and I hear it hasn't been talking as long.

Rumor has it there are 5,990 designated collectors and they will only allow 6,000 spots and then close the registration process.
    New applicant's will have to wait for a former collector to die in order to apply for that spot.

Just kidding! but hey on a serious note you never know if and when Md. might stop this process.
    So why not do it. It's easy to do. Go ahead and get it in just in case they close the door down the road.
    Everyone should go for it even if you just use it once it's worth it.:D

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Rumor has it there are 5,990 designated collectors and they will only allow 6,000 spots and then close the registration process.
    New applicant's will have to wait for a former collector to die in order to apply for that spot.

Just kidding! but hey on a serious note you never know if and when Md. might stop this process.
    So why not do it. It's easy to do. Go ahead and get it in just in case they close the door down the road.
    Everyone should go for it even if you just use it once it's worth it.:D

I can't agree more. Then you will be where you were before the changed they law to on gun every 30 days on us. I say everyone should do it because you never know when that great deal will come along where you will want to buy more then one gun in any given month.

sourbeer

Jul 26, 2012
    montana
    i did this as well but hate it.

i hate the idea of having to get approval for purchasing at any rate that I desire but i submitted the forms. every time i go through the process, i am disgusted at the amount of BS involved. internal lock (omega), 30 days between purchases, 7 day "cooling off" period, etc. none of it is in the name of public safety, all just BS to overcome for the law abiding citizens.

preaching to the choir i know, i'm awaiting the pickup of a new gun that has been sitting at the FFL for 20+ days cause i had already made my montly purchase...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom