• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • koya

Feb 20, 2015
    I'm sure by now everyone heard of "Flat Broke shooters" range. I am looking for some Non magnetic 7.62X54 for Mosin Nagant. The range does not allow any steel core ammo. I want to shoot at the range with my Mosin. does anyone know where I can get this ammo?

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Their own description claims non magnetic.

Bi-metallic in this instance would be the copper washed steel case.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    It’s a copper projectile with a steel case.

“ Bi-metal steel case, non-corrosive Berdan primer. Copper jacketed lead core bullet”

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    They claim non-magnetic but I've had it rejected by some ranges.

It's not steel core.

It depends on whether the range understands ammo or not,and some dont! I will not name names.

One place, I volunteered a bullet and we hacksawed it open to prove a point. No steel core, and the steel in the jacket is wafer thin!

Best to call and ask whether they will accept it before you buy it.

Surt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2019
    Well here’s the issue, OP says the range doesn’t allow “steel core” ammo. So if that is the actual letter of the law, bimetal/copper washed steel jacket ammo should be fine, magnetic or not.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Every range I have shot at that says "no steel core" will reject bi-metal which has a soft steel jacket with copper on the outside and lead on the inside. I have pulled the bullets and cut in half before to show a range how it is NOT steel core but they still reject it. They stated the magnet test was the only way to tell. PPU will not attract a magnet. I just double checked some 7.62x54r I have in a box. Wolf, Tulamo, Red Army, Surplus, will all attract a magnet. I can tell you this. I was out at a junkpile at a friends house and the bimetal jacketed bullet went through small trees and my call copper jacked non metalic did not. Their range, their rules. PPU is pretty much a good choice for not attracting a magnet. I have never shot or tested wolf gold so who knows about that. Save your empty cases, many reloaders will buy those for $2-$5 a box of 20 once you get like 40+ you can post to the brass trade thread in the reloading section and maybe trade some empty boxes for 22LR or something.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Well here’s the issue, OP says the range doesn’t allow “steel core” ammo. So if that is the actual letter of the law, bimetal/copper washed steel jacket ammo should be fine, magnetic or not.

But since they use a magnet to test, being magnetic matters.

Surt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2019
    But since they use a magnet to test, being magnetic matters.

I didn't know they were testing for magnetic properties instead of testing for a steel core. So if those are the rules of the game, that makes sense.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I have a case of Yugoslavian 7,62X54R that is brass case and copper jacket bullet. I just tested it and none is magnetic. Damn nice ammo.

Attachments

• yugobrass.jpg
      yugobrass.jpg
      46.5 KB · Views: 130

koya

Feb 20, 2015
    I have a case of Yugoslavian 7,62X54R that is brass case and copper jacket bullet. I just tested it and none is magnetic. Damn nice ammo.

May I ask where you got the ammo? My Archangel stock should arrive this week, I would to have some ammo to shoot and test the new conversion. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom