• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    We do not need Chevron overturned, just the court telling the BAFTE it cannot change the meaning of the written legal definitions.

The petition in Guedes isn't even asking that much. Just that the DC Circuit can't rely on Chevron in this case and that they should do a de novo review, like the dissent.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The appellate court applied Chevron in this case, but the .gov expressly disavowed it. .gov did not want to win that way.

What we are getting is either a per curiam bitch slap (that was not the right standard, the rule of leniency was the correct standard...), or a dissent from denial of cert. Hard to predict this one (the odds are always in the favor is a denial rather than a PC remand since those are very rare).

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    ok, it opens on mobile.

Gorsuch says that cert denied because this is an "interlocutory" i.e. not a final decision. "The errors apparent in this preliminary ruling might yet be corrected before final judgement."

I missed, or forgot, that this was a prelim ruling. Yes, the court typically does not grant cert on interlocutory appeals. This is sort of a warning for the appeals & trial court to go back and correct itself while it can. He all but states outright: Chevron does not apply in this case when there are criminal sanctions. Go back to the drawing board.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I had to save the target file to my hard drive, then open it.

Gorsuch says the instant case is flawed by Chevron, but may be corrected in final judgment, and opinions on bump stocks in other circuits would be beneficial to the Court, should they not have the same Chevron problem.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I love the last sentence in the dissent:

"But waiting should not be mistaken for lack of concern."

I think that is a dig against the 9th CA.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I love the last sentence in the dissent:

"But waiting should not be mistaken for lack of concern."

I think that is a dig against the 9th CA.

This was the DC circuit. I read it that others on the court share the concern even though no one else put their name on his statement.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    This was the DC circuit. I read it that others on the court share the concern even though no one else put their name on his statement.

I understand. IIRC, it was the San Francisco case that emboldened the 9th circuit, because the SCOTUS did not say anything when it declined cert on the 30 round magazine ban petition.

Gorsuch, does not want the present court to feel emboldened either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom