• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Have to disagree here. It's much better than the 3 county high schools. Nowhere near the problems of the others and students actually learn something.

I'd be curious of some numeric proof for your statement. Comparing children of both schools (private and public) of the same socioeconomic backgrounds, you'll probably find the public schools do better. I ran for board of ed in St. Mary's and used to have this data. Also, the public schools have more programs for the motivated.

www.niche.com has some data, but you need more data than is presented to make determination. SMCPS average SAT 1180. St. Mary's Ryken, average SAT 1190. Given Ryken probably doesn't have lower socioeconomic students, I think this data alone would show SPCPS may be better. SMCPS also used to pay for many to take the SAT, when many students had no aspiration for college.

Also note, public schools don't have to hire certified teachers. I was unimpressed with several in Ryken. Some, were also very good.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    My stepdaughter graduated from Ryken. She was an average student with average grades. I believe her graduating from Ryken helped her get accepted to some universities she probably would not have been accepted to.
    My daughter goes to a local private catholic grade/middle school. With the recent price hike for Ryken, myself and alot of the parents of my daughter's classmates have pretty much abandoned the Ryken for highschool route. Their tuition rivals out of state college tuition.
    Back in the late 80's when I went to public highschool here in Southern Maryland, if you wanted the best drugs, everybody would say you need to go to Ryken. Said those kids always had the best drugs. lol

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    www.niche.com has some data, but you need more data than is presented to make determination. SMCPS average SAT 1180. St. Mary's Ryken, average SAT 1190. Given Ryken probably doesn't have lower socioeconomic students, I think this data alone would show SPCPS may be better.

The school does have lower socioeconomic students, but they are careful to take the smart ones. One of the reasons the place is so pricey for those who have to pay 'full fare' is the fact that the school gives out plenty of financial aid.

But yes, they have a selective admissions process, so different from the public schools they dont have to take 'all comers'.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    The school does have lower socioeconomic students, but they are careful to take the smart ones. One of the reasons the place is so pricey for those who have to pay 'full fare' is the fact that the school gives out plenty of financial aid.

But yes, they have a selective admissions process, so different from the public schools they dont have to take 'all comers'.

Winner, Winner, Chicken dinner!!!!!

Johnconlee

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2019
    Mechanicsville
    My wife and her siblings graduated from ryken. She doesn’t want our kids to go there. We are currently homeschooling. I was homeschooled until hs and graduated from Chopticon neither one of us has a college degree. In the mentioned part of our family the majority of the income is from jobs that really don’t even require a Hs diploma. If a kid wants to go to medical school and be oh say surgeon general of the us then maybe spending 60k on a Hs diploma is worth it. I say save the money and use it to help them out with something like a down payment on a house. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_Adams

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Well, looks like I can get myself the bumper sticker: 'My child and my money go to Ryken'

He is getting about $20k in scholarships. Still a substantial expense, but better than full fare. We didnt apply for financial aid.

Oh, and he got into the computer science scholars track. Overall I am happy.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Well, looks like I can get myself the bumper sticker: 'My child and my money go to Ryken'

He is getting about $20k in scholarships. Still a substantial expense, but better than full fare. We didnt apply for financial aid.

Oh, and he got into the computer science scholars track. Overall I am happy.

Congrats to you and your son! Ryken IS a great school.
    And just to let u know, theres a GREAT fishin spot behind the school. Helps offset the tuition costs! Haha!
    Good luck to your son!

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I feel obliged to Thank (if not followup with) those of you who have taken the time to provide your actual Ryken experiences (and thereby help a family who are the closest of friends (and a God-child involved).

All the info passed on through the thread replies thus far have helped and,

For that, Thank Y’all!

Last edited:

Jimbuck

May 26, 2009
    Ryken has changed so much. My son graduated in 2004 and once they started football everyone else had to pay. They added 4 more kids per class and brought in kids from other districts to win at Basketball and things. We started the Ice Hockey program there in 2002.

bohman

May 20, 2012
    St. Mary's
    I feel obliged to Thank (if not followup with) those of you who have taken the time to provide your actual Ryken experiences (and thereby help a family who are the closest of friends (and a God-child involved).

All the info passed on through the thread replies thus far have helped and,

For that, Thank Y’all!

OP, I see I’m a bit late in noticing this thread, but if you’d like to shoot me a PM with more questions, I can help get answers. My wife has taught at Ryken for almost 20 years, so she’d be a reliable source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom