Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2019, 12:58 AM #1
bryan9905 bryan9905 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 16
bryan9905 bryan9905 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 16
Senator Zirkin

I don't know anything about this pol except that he apparently saved our tails. What can you guys tell me about him? I haven't contributed a penny to any politician since Dan Bongino lost his Congressional race but I feel like I owe Zirkin. Am I missing anything?
bryan9905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2019, 04:57 AM #2
adit's Avatar
adit adit is online now
ReMember
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: DE
Posts: 7,602
adit adit is online now
ReMember
adit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: DE
Posts: 7,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan9905 View Post
I don't know anything about this pol except that he apparently saved our tails. What can you guys tell me about him? I haven't contributed a penny to any politician since Dan Bongino lost his Congressional race but I feel like I owe Zirkin. Am I missing anything?
He is no friend of yours, nor your interests.
adit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2019, 06:56 AM #3
Allen65 Allen65 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Anne Arundel County
Posts: 1,308
Allen65 Allen65 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Anne Arundel County
Posts: 1,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan9905 View Post
I don't know anything about this pol except that he apparently saved our tails. What can you guys tell me about him? I haven't contributed a penny to any politician since Dan Bongino lost his Congressional race but I feel like I owe Zirkin. Am I missing anything?
He's not an ideological friend of 2A, but he's not a rabid SJW adversary, either, He's a moderate, pragmatic Democrat who really dislikes poorly written bills that will have unintended consequences because they're poorly thought out or worded. From what I've heard from those who have spoken with him, he can be influenced by well presented arguments backed by documented facts.

Compared to loony-left members like Del. Moon, and simply malicious pols like Dumais who seem to get sadistic pleasure out of abusing pro-2A, pro due process Marylanders, Sen. Zirkin is Charleton Heston.
Allen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2019, 09:30 AM #4
esqappellate's Avatar
esqappellate esqappellate is offline
President, MSI
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,537
esqappellate esqappellate is offline
President, MSI
esqappellate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen65 View Post
He's not an ideological friend of 2A, but he's not a rabid SJW adversary, either, He's a moderate, pragmatic Democrat who really dislikes poorly written bills that will have unintended consequences because they're poorly thought out or worded. From what I've heard from those who have spoken with him, he can be influenced by well presented arguments backed by documented facts.

Compared to loony-left members like Del. Moon, and simply malicious pols like Dumais who seem to get sadistic pleasure out of abusing pro-2A, pro due process Marylanders, Sen. Zirkin is Charleton Heston.
Agreed on all counts! You can talk reason with Sen. Zirkin and he listens. He also prides himself as a very good lawyer who understands precedent and the need for legislation to be properly crafted. These qualities put him in the top tier of all the members of the General Assembly in my book. That's not to say I agree with him, but I *can* talk to him.
__________________
This may sound like legal advice, but it isn't. Don't rely on it. Hire your own counsel.
esqappellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2019, 09:44 AM #5
Racer Doug14's Avatar
Racer Doug14 Racer Doug14 is offline
Thread killer
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Millers Maryland
Posts: 6,579
Racer Doug14 Racer Doug14 is offline
Thread killer
Racer Doug14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Millers Maryland
Posts: 6,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by esqappellate View Post
Agreed on all counts! You can talk reason with Sen. Zirkin and he listens. He also prides himself as a very good lawyer who understands precedent and the need for legislation to be properly crafted. These qualities put him in the top tier of all the members of the General Assembly in my book. That's not to say I agree with him, but I *can* talk to him.
He does seem like a good legislator. I disagree with most of his politics.
__________________
NRA
MSI
24th ID,C Co.3rd ENG Bat.'89-'93
Racer Doug14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2019, 10:17 AM #6
danb's Avatar
danb danb is online now
i pi
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 18,260
danb danb is online now
i pi
danb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 18,260
... and he generally runs with minimal opposition.

Which I consider a travesty because it's a winnable district for the GOP.
danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2019, 10:22 AM #7
Allen65 Allen65 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Anne Arundel County
Posts: 1,308
Allen65 Allen65 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Anne Arundel County
Posts: 1,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by danb View Post
... and he generally runs with minimal opposition.

Which I consider a travesty because it's a winnable district for the GOP.
Just because someone has (R) after his or her name, it doesn't mean they are pro 2A. I think we're better off with Zirkin where he is, especially with crazies and lazies introducing extreme anti-2A legislation that also happens to be really poorly written. I don't really care why the bills fail, as long as they fail.
Allen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2019, 10:25 AM #8
danb's Avatar
danb danb is online now
i pi
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 18,260
danb danb is online now
i pi
danb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Howard County
Posts: 18,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen65 View Post
Just because someone has (R) after his or her name, it doesn't mean they are pro 2A. I think we're better off with Zirkin where he is, especially with crazies and lazies introducing extreme anti-2A legislation that also happens to be really poorly written. I don't really care why the bills fail, as long as they fail.
Hard to say. More Republicans eats away at the 3/5 majority and gives us more leverage. More leverage is never a bad thing. At the end of the day, Republicans and Dems vote as a block.

OTOH, if Zirkin got serious SJW opposition that might mean he loses the primary, and there is no serious R contender, I'd recommend he change affiliation and come over to the dark side. He'd win as a R too.
danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2019, 11:13 AM #9
Bertfish's Avatar
Bertfish Bertfish is online now
Throw bread on me
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: White Marsh, MD
Posts: 6,181
Bertfish Bertfish is online now
Throw bread on me
Bertfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: White Marsh, MD
Posts: 6,181
Hes far better than his predecessor chairman on that committee...
__________________
National Rifle Association Life Member
MD Designated Collector
03FFL Holder

"Trust, but verify" - Ronald Reagan

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms" - Aristotle

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
Do not wear blindfolds when a man a putting his anus on your wiener.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR View Post
I prefer a small house on a lot of land. Keep your family close and everyone else far away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepublicOfFranklin View Post
Socialism and individual liberty cannot exist in the same space.
Bertfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2019, 11:17 AM #10
fidelity's Avatar
fidelity fidelity is offline
piled higher and deeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frederick County
Posts: 17,629
fidelity fidelity is offline
piled higher and deeper
fidelity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frederick County
Posts: 17,629
Zirkin won't lose his next primary in 2022 unless he stumbles and does something on other issues (not gun control) that those in his party get more fired up about. If he switches parties, he loses his chair position in the Senate judiciary committee. Right now the MDAers that are angry at him for not fully bending knee to Queen Atterbeary are left with threatening him that they will interfere with any attempt by him to become Senate president when/if Miller steps down.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
__________________
Post nubes, lux
fidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2019, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service