Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 1st, 2019, 01:36 PM #1

Anything We Can Do To Save CCW Review Board?

Multiple stories seem to point to the review board on it's way out. Is there anyone specifically we can contact/email to oppose this move? I know there are folks here a lot more knowledgeable about the way the legislature works and how to proceed.
jdougal08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2019, 02:55 PM #2
President, MSI

President, MSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdougal08 View Post
Multiple stories seem to point to the review board on it's way out. Is there anyone specifically we can contact/email to oppose this move? I know there are folks here a lot more knowledgeable about the way the legislature works and how to proceed.
It will be up for a vote on the floor. And there is a hearing scheduled in the Senate for 3/12. 1. Make appts. and talk to your reps. about it. 2. Show up on the 12th and testify.
Old March 1st, 2019, 04:17 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqappellate View Post
It will be up for a vote on the floor. And there is a hearing scheduled in the Senate for 3/12. 1. Make appts. and talk to your reps. about it. 2. Show up on the 12th and testify.
I feel like this is an opportunity to hit up the non-gun community. Not the antis so much as the fence sitting impartials.

First, the people who don't feel strongly about guns one way or the other, but have EVER replied to a neighborhood FB crime page like "what can people do to protect themselves" "you ought to get a gun" "you can't carry one in MD though..."

Guys, THIS is why.

Bigger outreach, the REAL outreach, is applying to people's sense of right and wrong. Look, the gun haters will be all about screwing our rights no matter what.

What may help is pointing out to the fence sitters about

POWER AND OVERSIGHT.

Quote:
DO You Care how your government deals with oversight?

HB819 is not a Gun Bill. It is a bill to REMOVE CIVILIAN OVERSIGHT from a government position.

When a citizen of MD, who meets all legal requirements, applies for a carry permit, an administrative office at the MSP CHOOSES whether to grant or deny the permit, using their discretion about whether the citizen has enough need.

Up to now, we citizens could appeal a decision, before a board, comprised of appointed Marylanders.

Now members of Senate want to remove the oversight of that board.

The board on several occasions has amended or reversed decisions that were deemed arbitrary, or vague or unjust.

Some members of the Senate can't accept the times our citizens' oversight board has told their administrative office, "your decision was wrong."

Their proposed solution: Kill the board.

They've asked to replace an appeal board with a trip to another administrative office they control.

Read that clearly.

They want to replace civilian oversight of their office, with oversight of their office by another one of their offices.

Do you support government accountability?
Do you support review and oversight of government decisions?
Do you OPPOSE allowing a government office to disband a committee just because they're tired of the committee telling them NO?

Then say so.

Click this link. Fill out this postcard. Click your representative's name. Click

"Be Heard".
Not exactly what a message would say, but you get the general idea.

Try and create a quick, easy effortless way for Marylanders from all over the political spectrum to flood their Reps with feedback. Spark that feedback in the clear and simple terms that the Senate is trying to pull a fast one and we won't let them. We won't let them cut off an oversight board just because they don't like the answers, and award themselves their own oversight of themselves.
CyclicUpvote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2019, 04:39 PM #4

When they neutered the HPRB last year with the OAH nonsense, I told Del Dumais that, as a longtime resident of PRTakoma, where we have dozens of civilian review boards, I found it shocking that they'd worked so hard to undercut the only civilian review of MSP.

She was not amused.
I was greatly pleased to annoy her. It does no real good, but rubbing her nose in the mess made my evening.

"Forget it, Jake, it's C̶h̶i̶n̶a̶t̶o̶w̶n̶ Maryland."

Originally Posted by Deep Lurker:
Quote:
Disclaimer: “No criminals will be harmed in the passage of these gun control bills.”
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2019, 07:31 PM #5

Quote:
That would be the House for HB1343, currently no date scheduled for Senate Judicial Proceedings.

Hope to be there.
Old March 1st, 2019, 07:34 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblas View Post
That would be the House for HB1343, currently no date scheduled for Senate Judicial Proceedings.

Hope to be there.
The senate bill was sent to the ENC. Do you know why that would be? That is not a committee that would review or discuss bills.
Old March 1st, 2019, 08:31 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by montoya32 View Post
The senate bill was sent to the ENC. Do you know why that would be? That is not a committee that would review or discuss bills.
ENC approves the appointments by the Governor, but it was jointly assigned as I read it correctly, JPR has yet to set a hearing date, unless JPR will show up in ENC for that bill hearing.
Old March 1st, 2019, 08:32 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblas View Post
ENC approves the appointments by the Governor, but it was jointly assigned as I read it correctly, JPR has yet to set a hearing date.
It is a joint hearing Friday at 9am.

Old March 2nd, 2019, 11:51 PM #9

Quote:
And hit them on social media!

One SOCMED warrior post for every MDS post, at least!

Take the fight to the safe spaces of zirkin, atterbeary, clippinger , etc.

Be nice. Just the facts, ma'am.
I encourage you to do all that you can to support the 2A. If you do not have twitter and facebook accounts that you can use to counter the drivel spewed by the antis, go over to yahoo, establish an email account in the name of your choice, and use it to sign-up on facebook and twitter. No anti is coming here to be swayed into supporting the 2A, so I urge you to confront them where they gather for comfort, which means social media. Take the fight to the enemy.
Adolph Oliver Bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2019, 07:12 PM #10
Take Back America!!

Take Back America!!

Just in from NRA-ILA...

Quote:
This Friday, in the Joint Hearing Room at 9:00am, after multiple days of extended testimony in opposition to anti-gun bills in Maryland, a joint hearing between the Executive Nominations Committee and Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee is scheduled to consider yet another anti-gun bill, Senate Bill 1000. This same legislation was introduced in 2018 to repeal the Handgun Permit Review Board and was quickly opposed and amended to prevent that repeal. This year, they are back at it with another attempt. It is important that you again show up in opposition to this anti-gun legislation. Also, please contact committee members and urge them to OPPOSE Senate Bill 1000.
Shades of the 2013 shenanigans...

"Do the right thing, because it's the right thing to do."
- Me

You do your thing. I'm doing mine. Life goes on.

If you find yourself with nothing better to do, do something better.

'Nice' costs you nothing.

Member: NRA- Endowment Life, GOA-Life, SAF
MD Designated Collector
Mr H is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues