• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    Friends,

People that fall under the DoD umbrella, for example, DMA, DCA, DHA, probably won't be able to apply the "ISIS/OPM" threat to their application successfully. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try. As far as ISIS is concerned, if you are a mil/fed/ctr, you ARE a target... It's just sad that MSP doesn't see it this way.

If someone has a TS SCI (+tickets associated with it, which requires a SSBI), and is a victim of the OPM Breach, AND their biometric data compromised, this should be a no-brainer automatic unrestricted WC permit. Any local/state LEO that dismisses this as Good and Substantial reasoning is uninformed, clearly NOT in the KNOW, and has a personal agenda.

I'll let you know if it works...

hotel_three_six

Shall Not Be Infringed
    Dec 21, 2015
    I'll let you know if it works...

I'll let you know if it works too. :thumbsup:

That fed that works for NIST that is on the ISIS kill list should help everyone affected by the OPM Breach to successfully apply and recv a MD permit. Story broke today.

This is serious and it's time Gov Hogan becomes more involved. I will contact his office tomorrow.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Friends,

People that fall under the DoD umbrella, for example, DMA, DCA, DHA, probably won't be able to apply the "ISIS/OPM" threat to their application successfully. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try. As far as ISIS is concerned, if you are a mil/fed/ctr, you ARE a target... It's just sad that MSP doesn't see it this way.

If someone has a TS SCI (+tickets associated with it, which requires a SSBI), and is a victim of the OPM Breach, AND their biometric data compromised, this should be a no-brainer automatic unrestricted WC permit. Any local/state LEO that dismisses this as Good and Substantial reasoning is uninformed, clearly NOT in the KNOW, and has a personal agenda.

Would love to hear the outcome of this. I have a good chance of moving back to MD here in a few months, and I fall into this category. I'd love to be able to get my CCW once I get there. For those that have applied under these circumstances, I'd love to hear how it shakes out.

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    I'll let you know if it works too. :thumbsup:

That fed that works for NIST that is on the ISIS kill list should help everyone affected by the OPM Breach to successfully apply and recv a MD permit. Story broke today.

This is serious and it's time Gov Hogan becomes more involved. I will contact his office tomorrow.

It should help, IF someone in Maryland reads or knows about it. But I was reading about MSP and one of the officers logic on how he approves...pretty much like this, if you are a ex cop, I approve. Everybody else, no...Maybe that has change. One can hope.

hotel_three_six

Shall Not Be Infringed
    Dec 21, 2015
    Would love to hear the outcome of this. I have a good chance of moving back to MD here in a few months, and I fall into this category. I'd love to be able to get my CCW once I get there. For those that have applied under these circumstances, I'd love to hear how it shakes out.

Copy that. I will keep you and everyone else posted on this situation.

It should help, IF someone in Maryland reads or knows about it. But I was reading about MSP and one of the officers logic on how he approves...pretty much like this, if you are a ex cop, I approve. Everybody else, no...Maybe that has change. One can hope.

That type of LE attitude is unprofessional and quite frankly should disqualify him from being a LE. That elitist demeanor is dangerous and should be a red flag.

I contacted the Governor's office and asked for his help in providing assistance to all law abiding citizens, especially to those that have been dangerously exposed by the OPM breach. In no way shape or form am I marginalizing the Dept of Commerce / NIST. When comparing the Dept of Commerce to the DoD, one has just a little bit more impact on National Security than the other.

hap_hazzard

Dec 30, 2015
    MD Nonresident

Newbie here looking for an opinion/recommendations in making the attempt at obtaining the MD nonresident permit:

• Delaware Resident (DE CCW, PA nonresident, VA nonresident in progress)
    • Work in VA travel through MD several times a week, occasionally take kids to MD
    • Ongoing police investigation in NJ, my daughter was abused by a family member --- abuse confirmed by NJ Child Protective Services
    • Abuser threatened my daughters' life, her siblings, my wife and I if she told -- We lived in MD for a couple of years, there is a police report there -- formal investigation "kicked off" in DE (long story) -- Protection a good enough reason?

Any thoughts or experience would be much appreciated; preferably by PM

Keeping my nose clean and not doing what most fathers would want to do -- they eventually filed charges against Bill Cosby after YEARS so I am keeping the faith as hard as it is at times.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Username sounds familiar. I used to be over on another forum you and your Pop were on. Dont think we ever met but I know we crossed paths (wakes) over the years. :cool:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    The Maryland permit is available to non residents. Same G&S requirement applies. The OP may have G&S that would fly with the HPRB if not with MSP.

I meant that MD doesn't have a non-res permit in the sense that other states do. Ya know, where if you have a permit from your home state then you can get a non-res permit in another state. We communists don't roll that way... ;)

If you put on the dog & pony show and jump through enough flaming hoops, I guess they would give a permit to a resident of any state :rolleyes:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I meant that MD doesn't have a non-res permit in the sense that other states do. Ya know, where if you have a permit from your home state then you can get a non-res permit in another state. We communists don't roll that way... ;)
    This is true, your other state permits don't mean sh1t to MSP or the HPRB.

hap_hazzard

Dec 30, 2015
    Gents, thanks for the thoughts. It would appear that the odds are against me --- some things never change. I have been faced with worse. Working on Va nonresident since the Va attny general lost his fuc*&^ mind. Wife working on her Delaware. Time to fight on. Mount up! I am starting to wonder if it is time to flood the communist states with permit requests and lawsuits --- hit them right in the budget.

Thank you for the kind thoughts on my daughter. I hope one day she will be strong enough to defend herself. We need to ensure that tools will be available to her and those like her. God help us all!

Rhome3

Jan 3, 2016
    Has there been any update on the clearance/veteran thing working ? I definitely have all of the tickets, to include Veteran status, have received many emails and letters about the OPM breach and would like to take a step towards getting my CCW. I was speaking to a person tonight that told me the majority of the appeals board is being replaced with new appointees who don't have their heads up their asses and by the time I had my appeal they would be affirmed by the MD senate. I truly hope this to be the case.

Orange2V

Mar 22, 2013
    I don't post much but I follow this thread.

I stumbled across this by accident and figured I'd share. It is on the State police web page - Designated Firearms Collector, under "2015 Bulletins & Advisories".

Seems to be in the wrong place as it pertains to Handgun Wear and Carry Permits.

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...singDivision/Firearms/FirearmsCollectors.aspx

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Licensing Division Documents/29-05.docx

The document is titled:
    Maryland State Police Licensing Division Handgun Permit Unit § 5-306. Qualifications for Permit Investigation Worksheet

Which seems to be the worksheet the officer fills out to asses our justification for a permit. With all the talk of what's needed, this seems to be the most insight into what an officer is using as a ruler to measure our "need".

****Apologies if this is already common knowledge. This thread is really long.

Here is the useful text from the document. I've attached and saved the document in case it disappears at some point in the future.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. Based upon an investigation has good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun

Good and substantial reason - An objective determination, arrived at by the assigned Maryland State Police Licensing Division employee based upon his investigation that the wearing, carrying or transporting of a handgun by the applicant is necessary for the applicant’s:
    (1) Business activities, either at the business owner's request or on behalf of an employee;
    (2) Regulated professions (security guard, private detective, armored car driver, and special police officer);
    (3) "Assumed Risk" professions (e.g., judge, police officer, public defender, prosecutor, or correctional officer);
    (4) Personal protection – Personal protection requires; Evidence that the applicant’s life is in imminent danger; and/or
    Evidence that the applicant is currently being targeted by individuals wishing to do the applicant harm

Required for Business Activities

When the good and substantial reason offered is for employment or business: The investigator should:
     Document and define the type/purpose of the business
     Statement from employer requesting or requiring firearm
     Establish proof of business ownership or employment – License or certification, tax account, business fiscal accounts
     When licensure is not required, establish the existence of a business
    o Inventory – Value, volume
    o Equipment necessary to provide the service
    o Document frequency of the service
    o Confirm existence of cliental and/or employees via interviews

 Confirm the duties and responsibilities required by the business that makes it necessary for the firearm. These include but may not be limited to:
     Frequently collects or transports money or property of value on a schedule published or known
     Transports $1000 or more in monetary instruments or valuables with a demonstrated level of frequency
    • Note - Business banking differs from personal banking in that it usually follows a pattern making the applicant a target for robbery based on his regular practice of carrying valuables.

Regulated Professions

Generally includes those private public safety professions regulated by the State. These include but may not be limited to;
     Security guard
     Private Detective
     Armored Car Driver
     Special Police Officer/R.R. Police Officer

Assumed Risk Professions

Generally includes those public/government criminal justice professions wherein the wearing, carrying and transporting of a handgun is necessary as a reasonable precaution against the apprehended danger originating from his position. These positions included but may not be limited to: Refer to SOP 29-14-03
     Law Enforcement Officers
     Judges
     Prosecutors/Defense Attorneys
     Correctional Officer
     Military Justice Positions – Refer to defined positions provided by MCAC Liaison

Personal Protection

Required when the applicant articulates and apprehension that he is in danger or in fear for his life. This apprehension is more than personal anxiety that the applicant’s life is in danger or that he/she may be targeted by individuals wishing to do him or her harm. Personal protection requires;
     Evidence that the applicant’s life is in imminent danger; and/or
     Evidence that the applicant is currently being targeted by individuals wishing to do him harm

Attachments

• 29-05.docx
      133.1 KB · Views: 178

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Has there been any update on the clearance/veteran thing working ? I definitely have all of the tickets, to include Veteran status, have received many emails and letters about the OPM breach and would like to take a step towards getting my CCW. I was speaking to a person tonight that told me the majority of the appeals board is being replaced with new appointees who don't have their heads up their asses and by the time I had my appeal they would be affirmed by the MD senate. I truly hope this to be the case.

There is no "Clearance/Veteran thing". As a veteran, you are just another schmuck in the eyes of the licensing division. Active Duty w/Top Secret clearance seems to be the answer. The OPM breach letter won't even get you a free donut. The new members stiil do have their heads up their asses. Hope this was of help. :)

Rhome3

Jan 3, 2016
    There is no "Clearance/Veteran thing". As a veteran, you are just another schmuck in the eyes of the licensing division. Active Duty w/Top Secret clearance seems to be the answer. The OPM breach letter won't even get you a free donut. The new members stiil do have their heads up their asses. Hope this was of help. :)

Thank you. Also, what is this "donut" thing about ? I understand it is a joke of some sort. The search function pulls so many instances of "donut" in the past two months that it would take me days to decipher it.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Thank you. Also, what is this "donut" thing about ? I understand it is a joke of some sort. The search function pulls so many instances of "donut" in the past two months that it would take me days to decipher it.

In one of the HPRB Meeting threads someone asked if it would be kosher to bring donuts and coffee to the meeting.

After said meeting the chair of the HPRB made a reference to bringing the donuts, indicating that the members do read those threads.

How this pertains to acquiring a MD permit is unclear at this time.....;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom