• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Never been NICS delayed for more than a few minutes (actually only needed "further review"), which I've always attributed to my son having same name...although I am the 3rd, and he is the 4th, and I am one of FIVE males in the whole state, with my last name...Regardless, For this reason, I always provide my SSN...

Took an essential 50 or so mile drive Saturday to pickup 2 long guns from an IP and after about 20 or so minutes, came back as "Delayed". Now I get to wait for a phone call, with (hopefully) an "ok" to buy message, and make another 50 mile drive...

Just wondering if anyone else has gotten "Delayed" recently, due to NICS being overwhelmed, or whatever the case may be?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    my bil just bought a handgun and the ffl said almost everyone has been delayed over the last couple of weeks, until just recently. one nearby business had estimated receiving their ffl mid-march and they still don't have it.

Badger1

MDS Supporter
    Jun 21, 2017
    I was okay recently, but someone I know got delayed for at least a week. They just got the okay late last week.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    NICS delays come and go. 2 weeks ago it seems like everyone we ran was delayed. But the last week or so, the only delay was a guy who gets delayed every time, and has for years. Do not know why.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    NICS delays come and go. 2 weeks ago it seems like everyone we ran was delayed. But the last week or so, the only delay was a guy who gets delayed every time, and has for years. Do not know why.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I thought if you were "delayed," you could go back to the seller in a three or five days and pick up what you bought? Is that not the case?

Evidently, not, for the time being.

One of our IP's, whom I've dealt with dozens of times, sent me a message as well...

Small part of it right here:

I am getting transfer/release dates as late as 4-24-2020 right now.

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    I thought if you were "delayed," you could go back to the seller in a three or five days and pick up what you bought? Is that not the case?

What we were provided, as an explanation, from the ATF was the following.

The NICS examiner will provide the FFL with the date of the third business day after the firearm check was initiated. Business days do not include the day the check was initiated, Saturdays, Sundays, and any day state offices in the state of purchase are closed.
    When using the NICS E-Check, if the transaction is determined to be a delay, the pre-calculated date the requestor may transfer the firearm if no resolution is provided within three business days is also relayed

Added to this was the statement, that the ATF is told when the state offices are closed. Maryland has apparently told the ATF that state offices are only open one day a week. So a 3 day delay wait has become an up to 3 week wait.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Last week, a message on NICS basically said that all further reviews would become delays. People who don't usually get further reviews went right through.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Last week, a message on NICS basically said that all further reviews would become delays. People who don't usually get further reviews went right through.

Just my luck...I almost always get a "further review" which is no more than a 5 minute delay in my experiences.

Have you guys heard the same news as shadow116, as far as 3 days, is now 3 weeks?

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    Hmm...I had a NICS delay several years ago. IIRC, no action taken in 3 business days and the FFL released the AR to me. They are saying because the state office is "closed" it's delayed longer? What is happening between NICS, ATF, and the state where coordination is required? Just ridiculous. The tyranny of bureaucrats!

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Hmm...I had a NICS delay several years ago. IIRC, no action taken in 3 business days and the FFL released the AR to me. They are saying because the state office is "closed" it's delayed longer? What is happening between NICS, ATF, and the state where coordination is required? Just ridiculous. The tyranny of bureaucrats!

That's the way I am understanding it. :o

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    What is the "state office" being referred to? MSP Licensing?

On md.gov: MARYLAND STATE POLICE LICENSING DIVISION: The Maryland State Police Licensing Division at 1111 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville, is closed to the public for walk-in service. The Licensing Division remains open and will continue to serve the citizens of Maryland and process all applications and requests in accordance with statutory and regulatory requirements.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    I'm lost on this as well...

I thought the NICS was solely done by the FBI, which is "Federal".
    No idea what the State of Maryland has to do with it, other than screwing it up, as they do with everything.

sb22

-
    Apr 9, 2018
    I have only experienced a couple of NICS delays these past couple of weeks. For most of my recent checks, the NICS "proceed" result comes back within a few seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom