• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • simplegreen

Professional Nerd
    So i did some searching on the forums back to 2015 and gave up so i wanted to bring up the topic (maybe again pre 2015?).

What is your "I like shooting, but i hate cleaning" ...cleaning regiment. We all know cleaning is a by product of the fun we have, and we have to do it. Please no lecturing on "if you're not tearing down your gun and cleaning it after every round etc etc etc".

What do you do, to say "field clean" your firearms after you shoot to get things acceptably clean as fast and effortlessly as possible.. Forget cost for now.. foams, sprays, routines etc

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    An old t-shirt, CLP, bore snake and lots of q-tips. That's it. T- shirt to wipe off the easy stuff then just fine cleaning with CLP soaked q- tips. Final wipe down with a silicone rag.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    I enjoy fidgeting and therefore like cleaning. I do a full breakdown after every shoot.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Meh just pee down the barrel. J/k. Not much but will do better cleans after a few visits. I also do not change my engine oil after every drive to the grocery store. In all seriousness there are other threads on do you clean or no and how detailed, etc. a lot of great back and forth. The easy cleanup is what I would think most people do. There are a few that totally break down their weapons and clean extensively. There was one guy on here a while back who shot precision competitions so he always cleaned to the nth degree. I assume like they do with drag race engines between rounds. One thing I do is make sure I re apply the mobil 1 and grease

G8tor

Nov 30, 2013
    Calvert County
    I also treat some guns differently than others. My stainless steel 1911 gets a good clean after every use. My beater 500, meh, when I feel like it.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    This is how I do it as well..

Over cleaning a firearm accelerates wear.
    Normal cleaning is to wipe down with a soft cloth and maybe add some grease/oil if needed.
    For my AR’s, dip the BCG in Mobil 1 and put it back in the gun after every other range trip (unless i shoot a bunch).
    Rimfire pistols are the exception because I usually run them suppressed. They get cleaned more often to ensure proper functionality.
    I used to clean after every range trip. Not any more.
    I can’t tell you the last time I detail stripped and cleaned a firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Javo-J10

Dec 26, 2016
    Hanover, PA
    When I wear out a pair of socks, they get washed one more time then relegated to the gun rag bin. A sock gets used a couple times, turned inside out, used a couple more times, then trashed. CLP or Rem-oil, bore snake, old sock. Fire, repeat.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Field strip, clean bore with patches and jag (pistol) or pull cable (rifle). Clean obvious carbon built up on action, bolt, slide. Wipe down barrel, reassemble, then wipe down exterior. Apply wax on stock if appropriate.

Detail cleaning is a little more involved.

Last edited:

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    A couple drops of CLP on the slide rails and wipe the feed ramp if visibly dirty. Boresnake every 500-100 rounds. Every now and then I check the extractor to make sure no crud is building up.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I know of no other way really; of cleaning a gun; except to completely disassemble and clean it. On the same day it was used. Just the habits driven into me.

That saying though; I guess that if I couldn't do that I would at least:

1. Take out the bolt and clean the bolt face.
    2. Punch the bore
    3. Clean the chamber
    4. Lube and reassemble.
    5. Wipe down with G96

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    bingo

Normal cleaning is to wipe down with a soft cloth and maybe add some grease/oil if needed.
    For my AR’s, dip the BCG in Mobil 1 and put it back in the gun after every other range trip (unless i shoot a bunch).
    Rimfire pistols are the exception because I usually run them suppressed. They get cleaned more often to ensure proper functionality.

What he said.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Unless I'm shooting corrosive or putting away for an extended period, I might clean rifles after two or three range trips and the round count at that point would only be 100-200 rounds.
    Check the bolt face/extractor for crud, wipe down, clean nooks and crannys of the receiver with qtips. Spray Ballistol down the barrel and soak a little, pull a cable thru with a plastic brush 4-5 times and follow up with dry cloth or oiled if it's particularly dirty. Grease the bolt and points of contact within the reciever. Wipe the outside barrel and metal with barricade after reassembley.

Sometimes just a boresnake for the barrel if I'm going back the next day.

The pistols I shoot are polymer, so they don't demand too much attention. I do clean my HD pistols after each use with a boresnake and grease on the points of contact after cleaning off the old with qtips

solarpower44

Feb 2, 2016
    Glenelg MD

Old habits die hard. I clean after every shooting.
    I have a phobia of my gun jamming if not cleaned.
    That probably stems from my life in military where during every spare time we sat around and cleaned our rifle

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom