• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    From David Marks, my rep in district 5:

Thank you for emailing me.

The three Republicans tried cutting tens of millions of dollars last year, including for laptop computers, but our moves were blocked by the other party.

I suspect it is highly unlikely that increases such as in the income tax will find bipartisan support.

I understand, appreciate, and respect your position, and encourage you to please attend the County Council meeting on April 30 at 6 p.m. in the Council chambers.

Councilman David Marks

When he was campaigning
    71bc5f02df4dd542ec9e315254bacae4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I get the "knee jerk" reaction to taxes being raised. But the property tax and income tax rates haven't been raised in over 20 years with one being 30 years.

That doesn’t bother me at all. Why should the rates go up over time? What does time have to do with the percentage of money the government takes out of your wallet? The tax rate is either set appropriately or it is not. As inflation devalues the currency, wages rise but so does tax revenue. I reject the notion that people should inherently get to keep a smaller and smaller percentage of their earnings just because the government is greedy, time has passed, and they have the power to enforce their insatiable appetite for profligate spending.

cdub702

May 13, 2017
    Mr Rodgers Neighborhood
    The*tax*policy for the Democratic Party calls for*raising certain*taxes*to provide money for government spending, which in turn generates business. The party platform asserts that government spending provides "good jobs and will help the economy today" this is there playbook over and over again never changes

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    That doesn’t bother me at all. Why should the rates go up over time? What does time have to do with the percentage of money the government takes out of your wallet? The tax rate is either set appropriately or it is not. As inflation devalues the currency, wages rise but so does tax revenue. I reject the notion that people should inherently get to keep a smaller and smaller percentage of their earnings just because the government is greedy, time has passed, and they have the power to enforce their insatiable appetite for profligate spending.

This is obvious to anyone that has the slightest comprehension of math or logic. Just as obvious is the lack of any knowledge in these areas by most democrats.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I'm going to send another round of emails later today. I hope those of you who live in the county are letting these people know what you think.

And for those who missed it in my previous post in the thread, the budget meeting is happening April 30 at 6 p.m. in the Council chambers. I encourage you to attend and speak your mind directly to those who will be casting votes.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    You could move to Anne Arundel County, but we've got Pittman. And the teachers are underpaid and he has a way around the property tax cap. And our income tax is far too low.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE

I agree 1000% here with you.

In Delaware, the school systems (local and college) love to have BS (school tax based on property values) referendums whenever they want. They schedule the votes for Tues, Wed, or Thurs in the dead of winter (many of the residents in eastern Sussex County are weekenders, and where the bulk of the property value is). When they don't pass, they schedule them again 2 months later. :mad54:

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

The beauty of the system...it can get replaced every 4 years. If the majority of residents have issues with the raising of taxes to pay for services then they can elect someone else.

The reality is they likely wont because a nominal raise in taxes once every 20-30 years isn't an insane ask. Yes there is waste in government. There is waste everywhere. It is even worst when you replace an elected official who was not the most financially sound and made some awful financial decisions for whatever reason.

How do you fix it and still provide necessary services?

In the end the folks get the government (and taxes) they deserve. One way or the other.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY

You prioritize. You live within your means. You do without those things that are nice to have but are not necessary to have.

That's what taxpayers do. That's what tax-takers can and should do. They just don't.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    The beauty of the system...it can get replaced every 4 years. If the majority of residents have issues with the raising of taxes to pay for services then they can elect someone else.

The reality is they likely wont because a nominal raise in taxes once every 20-30 years isn't an insane ask. Yes there is waste in government. There is waste everywhere. It is even worst when you replace an elected official who was not the most financially sound and made some awful financial decisions for whatever reason.

In the end the folks get the government (and taxes) they deserve. One way or the other.

Assuming property values and incomes rose over the past 30 years (which they did), wouldn't those increased values yield more tax revenue given the same tax rate? Increasing the tax *rate* without justification is typical of ye 'ole tax 'n spend politics. I don't live in Baltimore County, but what *useful* extra services will be provided with the increased taxes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom