• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Ok so my panic buy was an AK kit. Polish Underfolder. I've never done this before and have questions. Please excuse me if I ask something stupid; using google got me conflicting answers.

1. Flat or Bent Blank? I want to do an 80% build for slightly obvious reasons. Should I get a pre-drilled flat or pre-bent that needs cutting/drilling? I have no jigs and no press, but I do have a drill press. I want to take the easiest route without spending a bunch on tools. Doesn't need to be pretty, just functional and reliable.

2. 922r Parts I'm getting a US barrel, the receiver will be US, and I plan a Tapco FCG and slant brake. That's 6 parts, enough right?

3. Seeking help What can and can't I get help with since I'm doing an 80%? Can I have someone headspace the barrel for me? Can I get the receiver coated/painted by a pro? Can I seek help in welding the rails?

-Thanks

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    a pre-bent and drilled one would be better...get rivits as well...some parts kits need a jig to remove the old rivets from the parts kit.

pre-bent AND drilled requires an FFL because that's a receiver. not an 80%. if you want to build off a flat, get an ak-builder flat and his bending jig. there's nothing that surpasses (or frankly even equals) his gear on the market.

as for halps, if you can wait till spring, i can halps. :) don't have a flat bending jig, and don't have the spot welder or appropriate tong (ak-builder offers one). barrel press, rivets, heat treating, finishing, etc. i can help with though.

for refinishing, although i'm not at this immediate time set up for blasting or parking, i'm building a blasting cabinet when i get home, will be buying a parkerizing tank probably next month, and will be getting a compressor to handle the blasting as well as hvlp spraying (duracoat/cerakote/etc.) as soon as i'm back on friendly soil. so once you get your flat bent and rails spot-welded in, you can do the rest at my place if you want.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I have a 20 ton press now to go with my bending jig. I have a mig welder instead of a spot welder and I have a small metal brake. Once you are home Ferret maybe we can organize a group build because we will need an experienced lead so nobody does anything too stupid.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    i'm down.

speaking of AK's, I'll have some fun photos over the next couple weeks. finally got some captured stuff back from the evidence lab for a display board; there's a couple AK's in the mix. :)

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I don't have a bending jig anymore, but still have my spot welder and other build tools (including headspace gauges). I'm down with helping some others out if you guys organize something.

I need access to a good endmill so I can drill some virgin barrels without going oversize.

To the OP's original question, while making receivers is fun it's really hard to beat a fully treated, finished one. Spot welds never turn out great at home and it's really difficult to do much more than harden the axis pin holes. The metal's pretty stiff once the rails are in but I much prefer having a fully hardened receiver.

If I was starting over, I'd invest in one of the Polish shells. They are in the white, but already bent, and you can send them out to get treated without going through an FFL. Then complete the receiver as you normally would.

One of the members on theAKforum was selling hardened shells a few weeks ago, I don't know if he still has any.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    i've got a 1/4" endmill at the house. have a 63 romanian that needs a new barrel (only cut barrel kit i've ever built on) so i've been planning/learning on how that goes. pretty confident now. :thumbsup:

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    I have a few parts kits on order and some AK builder flats coming too. I also have the AK Builder flat bending tool and other tools such as rail alignment tool... This is my first AK builds so, we'll see how it goes.

I do have a question... I've got an aircraft rivet gun and dies from when I was building an airplane, and was wondering how that would work with the AK rivets?

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Can't remember if there was another hole to drill for the trunnion or not. Regardless.... Got it ups to the door, flats and jig.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I dunno I will have to go back and look at the ATF determination letter I have buried somewhere.

Did look different from video though but intent was to show the bending jig itself for those without a press.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I don't believe the ATF has an official legal definition of 80%, unless it was quietly published in one of their many opinion letters. Those only reach general knowledge if the individual asking a question scans the response letter in and shares it with the world.

Bent with rails in would count as being past 80% based on what is typically repeated on the various forums. I know for a fact one of the guys treating shells will NOT accept them with rails in

uneven

Front and Center
    Dec 21, 2012
    Similar situation here, AK 74 Bulgarian kit. When it arrives Id love some pointers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom