• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    18April

Watching local news, one segment was on MDSP pulling over vehicles for distracted drivers. In two hours, they pulled over 120 at one section of road in Montgomery County.

MDSP in civ clothes standing at a sign with a bucket, when he observed a distracted driver he radioed ahead. From reading a book, texting and talking on cell.

Emailed the above to my daughter, her reply: I saw this trap on River Road. Traffic was horrible, which exacerbated the problem b/c more drivers were texting.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    18April

Watching local news, one segment was on MDSP pulling over vehicles for distracted drivers. In two hours, they pulled over 120 at one section of road in Montgomery County.

MDSP in civ clothes standing at a sign with a bucket, when he observed a distracted driver he radioed ahead. From reading a book, texting and talking on cell.

Emailed the above to my daughter, her reply: I saw this trap on River Road. Traffic was horrible, which exacerbated the problem b/c more drivers were texting.

Couple years back they did that same kind of thing on one of the off ramps on rt 100. You get off on the ramp which ended at a light. Cop standing there at the light walking up and down the line looking into the cars for seatbelt violators.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Distracted driving is nothing new. The first recorded pedestrian fataility was in the 1890s. It seems a hotrodding youngman in his efforts to impress a lady he fancied caused his 8 mph horesless carriage to strike and kill a woman.

Women, phones, vinyl/8 tracks/cassettes/CDs, cheeseburgers...

It is a start but like many things I believe a deeper rooted issue.

Soon our cars will drive themselves. We can be as distracted as you please..

Norbalco

Feb 24, 2017
    There have always been distractions, but people didn’t intently read small screens in the past. I may be getting old but it seems more egregious and dangerous. “Those darn kids!” (Shaking my fist)

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    Last Saturday being such a beautiful day we took the bike to breakfast and then a few hours of back road wandering. On route 85 in Frederick we passed a young woman face timing while driving. I've seen a lot, but this was a first for that particular offense!

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Cell phones cannot be used in the car, but, every new car has a screen in the center of the dash showing side cameras, GPS.....
    Put down the cell phone and stare at the dashboard, that piece of glass in front of you is only for bugs.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    th

YerNotGood

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    I'm honestly considering giving up riding my motorcycle on the streets because of how bad distracted driving has gotten. It seems like no one can be bothered to keep their eyes on the road.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I'm honestly considering giving up riding my motorcycle on the streets because of how bad distracted driving has gotten. It seems like no one can be bothered to keep their eyes on the road.

I try to not ride on the weekend. Workday before lunch is fun, just be home by 4 pm.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    If you want to see some real bad driving, grab your bag of popcorn and drive to an opioid addiction treatment facility.

There's one up here in Harford County in Riverside that just today I saw someone leave the parking lot, come up to a stop sign and just floor it with no more than a length of a tractor trailer between cars on a 40mph road.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    There have always been distractions, but people didn’t intently read small screens in the past. I may be getting old but it seems more egregious and dangerous. “Those darn kids!” (Shaking my fist)

In the past, I only wanted them to get off my lawn. Now this!

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    Last Saturday being such a beautiful day we took the bike to breakfast and then a few hours of back road wandering. On route 85 in Frederick we passed a young woman face timing while driving. I've seen a lot, but this was a first for that particular offense!

I once watched as a woman in a Lexus RX300 drove on 495 for about a half hour (I was in the lane adjacent to hers, and traffic was such that I couldn't get past her). She was not only on a video call (FaceTime), but was SIGNING ASL.

All this at 50-60mph. :sad20:

Between MoCo and Landover, every morning and night I see this crap. Very frustrating, when I'm seemingly the only one paying attention.

-John

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom