Is this an HBAR? Looks like a screaming deal....

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    There apparently are FFLs who will sell/transfer these. There are FFLs who won't. There are buyers who will risk buying one. There are buyers who won't.

The legality of this particular S&W Sport is questionable. Even S&W says these are not HBARs and do not comply with MD statute. Who is right, and who is wrong? I sure as heck don't know, and really don't care as I don't need any bare bone ARs. But if I was looking to buy, I still wouldn't until I had something from either the AG or the MSP saying unequivocally they are legal. But that's just me. To each his own.

igotyoubeat

Apr 27, 2014
    Your better off purchasing through a local dealer they will have the appropriate HBAR which falls in line with the new state (feel good) law. Most of the idiot gun grabbers out there actually believe they got the "big mean automatic rifle" off the market. I should have purchased an HBAR prior to the great gun ban of Maryland since the regulating agency keeps the records on the "regulated" firearms purchases.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Almost just bought one of these yesterday. Blue fins in Dundalk has a couple on the shelf. Good place to do business and will try to beat anyone else's price

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    Your better off purchasing through a local dealer they will have the appropriate HBAR which falls in line with the new state (feel good) law. Most of the idiot gun grabbers out there actually believe they got the "big mean automatic rifle" off the market. I should have purchased an HBAR prior to the great gun ban of Maryland since the regulating agency keeps the records on the "regulated" firearms purchases.

HBARs are unregulated and still available in MD

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Save your money. Non HBAR and no forward assist or dust cover. Paperweight machined in the style of an AR.
    Its the same as a DPMS Sportical mostly. Forward assist and dust cover are items the AR does not actually need except under extreme conditions. Neither has even come up as needed in any AR situation I have been in including 3-gun. In combat under desert or tropical conditions I would rather have both.

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    So for the people saying the m&p 15 sport is not a legal rifle in maryland, what would happen if you bought one from a maryland dealer?

I can't imagine that you would get in serious trouble if you have the paperwork showing where you bought it from, but then again it is MD. It's not like you purposely built an illegal rifle, it's a mistake of the FFL's part

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    So for the people saying the m&p 15 sport is not a legal rifle in maryland, what would happen if you bought one from a maryland dealer?

I can't imagine that you would get in serious trouble if you have the paperwork showing where you bought it from, but then again it is MD. It's not like you purposely built an illegal rifle, it's a mistake of the FFL's part

There is enough ambiguity on this topic I'm not taking a side whether legal or not. But if it is determined to be definitively illegal at some future time, they could either grandfather those purchased prior to the determination, or playing hardball, I guess the MSP could confiscate. This appears to be one of those questions no one wants to ask of the AG or MSP. If you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question.

ScottR

Mark it Zero Dude!!!
    Feb 18, 2013
    Belair MD

Eventually MSP will catch up with you. Hell they hassled me about a pistol I sold a year later. The Model # wasn't on the Transfer Form, The trooper started lecturing me on the phone, then I interrupted him and notified him that the transfer was done at the Belair Barracks, and that the Trooper on Duty actually filled out the form himself. for a couple hundred $ more than the S&W I'd get a LE Colt Hbar from Shooters Discount and avoid the potential hassle. If you buy the M&P Sport as an HBAR you're setting yourself up for trouble IMO

Evojoeix

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2014
    I don't own one of these, I was just asking what would happen. Personally, i like the colt better anyway.

ScottR

Mark it Zero Dude!!!
    Feb 18, 2013
    Belair MD

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-09 at 8.11.34 PM.png
      Screen Shot 2014-07-09 at 8.11.34 PM.png
      12.6 KB · Views: 251

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Its the same as a DPMS Sportical mostly. Forward assist and dust cover are items the AR does not actually need except under extreme conditions. Neither has even come up as needed in any AR situation I have been in including 3-gun. In combat under desert or tropical conditions I would rather have both.

If you ever shoot .223 ammunition in an AR-15 it is needed. Commercial .223 ammunition does not have staked primer pockets and if a higher pressure load is encountered the primer has the chance of blowing out and lodging in the fire control group jamming the trigger, sear and hammer. No bang bang. This can be resolved by tapping the forward assist (if so equipped) to force the bolt into battery allowing separation of the upper and lower receivers. IF you could "Hulk" the receivers apart you would risk a cracked lower or reciever extension and at that point a paperweight barring replacement. On a carbine with no forward assist your options are limited to taking the carbine to a gunsmith and paying them to resolve your issue.

On the dust cover subject. The AR-15 MWS is designed to be an accurate weapon primarily through the use of precision machined tolerances and parts. When things get in there as they are prone to do. (For example dust blown around from a muzzlebrake or comp in a 3-gun match) the weapons performance degrades considerably. Though it can be alleviated by quality lube the fact of the matter is that you get less nasty gunk in your rifle with the dust cover closed versus open.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    To the best of my knowledge, that would not have M&P15 nomenclature, it prolly would be M&P10 or something else, but not M&P15.

My bad, not 308. It's 300blackout. First one on the list on the s&w website.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    The m&p 15 and the m&p15 sport are not the same gun

By that logic, none of the various variations of the M&P 15 are banned. From the S&W web site, "The new M&P15 Sport™ rifle joins Smith & Wesson’s popular line of M&P15 semi- automatic Modern Sporting Rifles.

You can and should assume ALL the rifles listed on this page are banned, including the 300 whisper: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...4_750001_750051_787653_-1_757785_757784_image

Remember, it is the lower that is considered the firearm. And unless it is marked HBAR, it may be very difficult to prove it IS an HBAR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom