• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    Not that I would condon drinking and driving but want everyone to have a good time while there out and make it home safe. I will be out tonight but Im the DD for tonight. A friend of mine that works for state highway told me that there will be check points tonight on the rt 140 corridor. There are traffic barrels just west of rt 91 on rt 140 that were placed there yesterday. Do to the rain the checkpoints where canceled for last night. And next weekend on the rt 30 corridor. Not sure if it will be on the bypass or on rt30? Have fun and be safe!

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    Don't even get me started on drunk drivers............

Maybe you should start with the politicians.

Got an uncle who is on his 8th DUI conviction. (You read that right, its the number eight). And he's still not in jail. And each time he was legally driving, able to get a license, register his vehicle, etc. He's totaled 3 vehicles and fled 2 scenes.

You can thank Senate President Mike Miller for getting him off with rehab for 7 of those (he did serve 30 days in work release one time though, I think that was for his hit and run on a parked car but I'm not sure).

Maybe if they would just take care of the people who are the problem, then maybe we wouldn't have to waste tax dollars and resources on an issue that is caused by a small minority of the population.

If it matters, he was never caught at a checkpoint.

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    Screw that. I am well provisioned with steak, beer, fireball, American Honey, and spiced rum. The bonfire starts at sunset.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Maybe you should start with the politicians.

Got an uncle who is on his 8th DUI conviction. (You read that right, its the number eight). And he's still not in jail. And each time he was legally driving, able to get a license, register his vehicle, etc. He's totaled 3 vehicles and fled 2 scenes.

You can thank Senate President Mike Miller for getting him off with rehab for 7 of those (he did serve 30 days in work release one time though, I think that was for his hit and run on a parked car but I'm not sure).

Maybe if they would just take care of the people who are the problem, then maybe we wouldn't have to waste tax dollars and resources on an issue that is caused by a small minority of the population.

If it matters, he was never caught at a checkpoint.

I ain't arguing with you there, your absolutely right. I've seen loads people with multiple DUI convictions and arrests walk out the courtroom with PBJs, Reckless, or Negligent driving charges only. It a known fact most crimes are committed by repeat offenders.

ground chuck

Rookie Jedi
    Sep 28, 2013
    Charm City County
    I have only come across one checkpoint ever on 175 in howard country heading towards 95. I dont drink and drive bc 1) I have kids that depend on me 2) I know several people that have had dui/dwi and its just not worth it too possibly kill myself and or someone else 3) ive had to pick up someone from golden ring barracks and thats just a miserable experience all together. The sad part that night is that all the people picked up for dui were all older than 40. I naively expected a bunch of kids to be released to their mommies and Daddys, man was I shocked.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    They have them on a fairly regular basis coming through the "Gauntlet" (Rt 40W coming from Balto Co in to HoCo). They sit at the Citgo in Ellicott City, and have others sitting in the Park and the only other road you can turn off on.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Checkpoints are BS, and generally people who support them get little respect in my book. I view them as I view the gun grabbers who support strict gun laws because someone in their family was killed by a firearm. If the police want to watch for drunk drivers, sit on the side of the road and look for people driving erratically, super slow, super fast, swerving, not staying in their lane, etc. You'll probably catch a lot more than just drunk drivers that way.

This all boils down to the fact that if you want to eliminate drunk driving, we can make it illegal to drive at all. Practically all of our problems can be legislated out of existence if we locked everyone in padded rooms and fed people through IVs so they don't choke on their own food. But who wants to live like that? So the relevant question is, by what criteria do we judge a law if it is permissible or not? If we're going to judge it solely based on saving lives, then we could make everything illegal. So that doesn't cut it. And the only reason checkpoints are supported is because they attempt to cut down on deaths, which again, is not a valid reason anymore than it is for attempting to make firearms illegal.

Drunk drivers suck, but it's just something we have to live with to some extent short of getting rid of automobiles, and there are other solutions such as stiffer penalties and police patrols that don't burden every single person just trying to travel freely on public roads.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^THIS^^^^^THIS^^^^^THIS^^^^^THIS^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Do not infringe on my/our rights because of the stupidity/actions of others.

Do not detain me/us when I/we have done nothing wrong.

Do not question me/us for simply driving at night.

The above goes for the 2nd Amendment as well.

Why are they called "sobriety check-points"?

Is it so they can stop 99.5% sober people?

PS: We're about to go to war with Russia and China and North Korea and this is what people are talking about.....:sad20:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    So what rights does an allegedly free citizen have if stopped at one of these checkpoints?

I do not drink at all. Ever. Am I required to show license & registration when stopped for no reason with no probable cause? I believe I have the right to say nothing, but then what if they order me from my car and demand I walk a line? What are my rights?

Does maintaining my right to remain silent constitute probable cause for them to force me to submit to their (unscientific?/ quasi-medical?) tests?

Remember, I am an absolute tee-totaler, and they have no reasonable articulable suspicion, nor probable cause that I can imagine. What are my rights?

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    Well, then only thing you have to do is stop your vehicle for the checkpoint. You don't have to roll down your windows, give your license/registration, or speak. Just simply stop when told to do so. That is what is briefed to us whenever we work the sobriety checkpoints.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Well, then only thing you have to do is stop your vehicle for the checkpoint. You don't have to roll down your windows, give your license/registration, or speak. Just simply stop when told to do so. That is what is briefed to us whenever we work the sobriety checkpoints.

What the hell can an officer ascertain from that?

Why have them at all?

You LE?

I just had an epiphany.

Let's have check-points on major roadways leading to and from shooting ranges because people get shot.

Let's have check-points on major roadways leading to and from banks because banks get robbed.

Let's have check-points on major roadways leading to and from schools because some pervert sniffs panties.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    What the hell can an officer ascertain from that?

Why have them at all?

Because 90% of people will not do that and they will just follow any order given to them by a police officer.

100% of drunks won't just simply stop and keep quiet. You may have the right to remain silent, but after several drinks, most folks lack the ability.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    It's always for our safety...sobriety checkpoints, seat belt checkpoints, drivers license checkpoints(ihre papiere bitte!), vehicle safety checkpoints, cell phone/texting checkpoints, DNA checkpoints, motorcycle checkpoints, border patrol checkpoints many miles from the border, authoritarian control freaks can use any number of excuses to harass and intimidate motorists who are just trying to go from point a to point b in peace.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I thought I had heard long ago that one did not have to so much as roll down the window.

Realistically, what would happen if I quietly declined to roll down the window, or show my license, etc? A check on my tags would reveal I'm as pure as the driven snow.

Realistically, what would happen?

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    You can still see into the car to gain probable cause to detain.

From my experiences, nearly everyone rolls down their window at a checkpoint. Then you can talk to them and make observations that could build probable cause for further investigation. Those that don't, I simply let go when the traffic ahead allows.

I will also add that I don't particularly like working checkpoints but they do result in a decent amount of DUI arrests.

I am LE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom