What bullet do you use in your AR for 3 gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    I think the 3 gun matches at PNTC have targets out to 300 yards. I hear some places they shoot out to 600 yards. With that in mind, do you have any suggestions on the best rounds to buy in bulk for a 3 gun AR. My barrel is a 1 in 8 twist, SS 20'' barrel. The gun has a wylde chamber.

I see there are a bunch of different makers and bullet weights. My preference would be to find a bullet that I can by in cases of 1000.

Thanks,
    Eric

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    I dont shoot 3 gun, but I do shoot highpower matches with an ar. I use 77gr sierra matchkings at 300. For 600 yards I use 80gr sierras. One thing to keep in mind is that 77gr will fit in the magazine while the 80grains will not. I have also shot 75grain hornady bthp at both 300 and 600. Nosler also makes 77gr that are available in 1,000 count boxes. I think sierra sells 500 count boxes.
    Good luck.

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    I think the 3 gun matches at PNTC have targets out to 300 yards. I hear some places they shoot out to 600 yards. With that in mind, do you have any suggestions on the best rounds to buy in bulk for a 3 gun AR. My barrel is a 1 in 8 twist, SS 20'' barrel. The gun has a wylde chamber.

I see there are a bunch of different makers and bullet weights. My preference would be to find a bullet that I can by in cases of 1000.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Hey, 52gr-69gr is going to be the range I would recommend staying within (for a 1/8). You can't really go wrong with Sierra, and since you're probably going to need a metric ton of bullets; midway dogtown bullets are pretty inexpensive (I picked up 1100 of the 55gr to try and so far they're not bad for the price).

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    I dont shoot 3 gun, but I do shoot highpower matches with an ar. I use 77gr sierra matchkings at 300. For 600 yards I use 80gr sierras. One thing to keep in mind is that 77gr will fit in the magazine while the 80grains will not. I have also shot 75grain hornady bthp at both 300 and 600. Nosler also makes 77gr that are available in 1,000 count boxes. I think sierra sells 500 count boxes.
    Good luck.
    I think the 600 yard shots he's referring to are out at Ironman in Parma, ID. Also, have you had good luck running 77's in a 1/8?

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    I think the 600 yard shots he's referring to are out at Ironman in Parma, ID. Also, have you had good luck running 77's in a 1/8?

I've had excellent results. RRA (1:8) and WOA (1:7.7 i believe) barrels. Both were powered by 24gr. Varget.

The RRA easily holds a 10 inch disk at 525 with very light breeze. That is using a SWFA SS 10x

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    If I knew I was shooting a match with any shot over 300 yards, I didn't use a .223 until I finished my last build. That's when I brought a separate magazine with heavier bullet ammunition. For close in work (under 300) I just use 55gr FMJ. Anything past that, I'd use 77gr.

Since you apparently don't reload, I'd suggest Black Hills 77gr match ammo for the longer ranges, and American Eagle 55gr for closer in shots. Know what your rifle shoots in both weights and go from there.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I use plain old Fed 100 rd Value packs of 55g .223 from WM. My Burris MTAC scope reticle likes them a lot. I have some 68-69g match ammo but have never needed it. You will only see 500+ yards at the major events or in the NRA NDM Champion Match. Just pick a 55g ammo you can get in bulk or easily and has a velocity around the NATO spec of 3240 FPS as that will match most BDC scope dots when you have to shoot longer shots.

rundownfid

May 3, 2010
    I think photoracer is on the money. Any decent bulk ammo, I'd add PPC to the possible list, is GTG. If you are buying it in 1,000 round blocks that is great. Also, Photoracer makes a valid point, an MTAC or any other bullet drop type scope has a specific type ammo that will match up with the drop marks, most will work well with the 55 gr ammo. While heavier bullets are definitely a plus for long ranges, even 300 isn't long range for an AR, at 300 knowing exactly how much dorp there will be is more important than shooting 2 MOA rather than 2.5, or having 1" less wind drift. You will be shooting at about an 8" circle and the 1-1.5 " the theoretically better ammo coud give is only slightly relavant.
    If you are using an MTAC (insert your scope here) the change in impact form 55 gr to 74 gr is likely to be greater than the saving in accuracy. So your plan to buy 1,000 and learn that ammo in your rifle is a good one. Enjoy!!

howard762

York Match Director
    Feb 2, 2012
    Stewartstown PA
    I use 2 bullets in my JP with an 18" 1/8 twist.

For "Blaster", anything 100 yards or less I use 55gr, and whatever is cheap is good enough, although I don't like steel cases. Of all the factory inexpensive stuff I prefer Federal. Either the American Eagle or LC is fine.

For anything further than 100, which is generally steel, I use 75gr Hornady HPBT . Not only because they have better long range accuracy (I've shot them to 700 yards sucessfully) but also because steel targets react more with heavy bullets and you are more likely not to have any of your hits not called.

The key with any ammo is to shoot wisely. Missing takes time and costs money. Neither of which is good.

dejacks

Apr 23, 2013
    Try some different ammo to see what shoots the best and use that ammo. You don't want to have bad ammo trashing your score. I feel into the trap of letting my equipment holding me back some time ago.

Just a Guy at the Range

Dec 13, 2011
    'nuff said

I use 2 bullets in my JP with an 18" 1/8 twist.

For "Blaster", anything 100 yards or less I use 55gr, and whatever is cheap is good enough, although I don't like steel cases. Of all the factory inexpensive stuff I prefer Federal. Either the American Eagle or LC is fine.

For anything further than 100, which is generally steel, I use 75gr Hornady HPBT . Not only because they have better long range accuracy (I've shot them to 700 yards sucessfully) but also because steel targets react more with heavy bullets and you are more likely not to have any of your hits not called.

The key with any ammo is to shoot wisely. Missing takes time and costs money. Neither of which is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom