• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NIK

Jul 31, 2012
    MD
    Just playing devil's advocate here, but is there any benefit to voluntarily registering a firearm?

All assuming of course the firearm was legally obtained, i.e. purchased in MD 20 years ago or purchased in another state then moved to MD prior to Oct 1.

AGCLVP

Jan 27, 2009
    No benefit to you.

Does benefit the state as they now know you possess the firearm(s). Makes confiscation easier.

fjm0008

Jun 27, 2012
    Arnold
    No benefit to you. They are nice enough to waive the training requirement if you tell them about the guns you already own. That way they can come get those also.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    No benefit to you.

Does benefit the state as they now know you possess the firearm(s). Makes confiscation easier.

^This.

This state knows about 5 firearms of mine, that's 5 too many already.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    What a silly comment!

They know exactly what we own now...

Bull.

They don't know what I bought as a Va. resident and brought back into Md when I moved back here. ;)

Willing to bet they're not going to go digging for the paper records of arms bought in the late '60s early '70s that were passed on to me also.

Yoboney

Sep 2, 2008
    Sure, when the Gestapo under Gansler goes knocking on doors they know where to go first.

MedInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 24, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    Allows for the government in black suits to come to your house, ask for you by name and confiscate what rightly belongs to you and yours.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    No benefit to you.

Although I do think there might be a benefit of having two safes, perhaps in different places. ;) One for the known knowns, and the other for the unknown knowns. (all legally acquired)

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Hang on guys, there are many benefits to him registering his firearm:

1. It lets the state know you have it. This can be useful if your firearm is ever declared unlawful because they will retrieve the firearm from you so you won't break the law.

2. It lets you stay visible in all of the state databases that are so well secured. This will allow any undesirables looking you up to know you have a gun and they probably shouldn't break into your house.

3. It shows you go above and beyond what is required in the law. This behavior is looked very highly upon.

4. Going back to #1, you will also rest easier at night knowing the laws haven't changed. If the laws did change, you be visited by the Gestapo (or government).

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Confiscation will never work in America. If you think it will then I don't want you on my team.

People said it would never work in the UK or Australia. Look up "incrementalism". Little bit by little bit, with "reasonable", "common sense" restrictions on ownership that even our own advocates will agree to. Think about PSRFUPA 1994, FOPA 1986, NFA 1934, GCA 1968, and now FSA 2013. Each chips away a little bit at the 2A. All but the last have withstood multiple legal challenges. Our own side agreed to FOPA, which "reasonably" banned registering new automatic weapons, even though legally-acquired machine guns have effectively never been used in crime.

So don't think it can't work in America. It can and will, which is why we must resist the tyrants and domestic enemies at every turn.

Do not register your firearms if there is any legal way to avoid it. :patriot:
    There is absolutely no benefit to the law-abiding citizen.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I'm even hesitant about registering a firearm with the manufacturer. Ruger gives you 20% off on their webstore if you register your new Ruger firearm with them. There may be benefits (recall notices, etc) but having my name associated with the serial number anywhere makes me nervous.

Anyone remember the S&W/Clinton Admin debacle in the 90s?

Jul 9, 2013
    If you register them, it makes it easier for the government to make sure you're properly taxed in the future.

Please, name one item that you own that is registered with some form of government that you do not pay a tax on.

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    If you purchased the firearm in MD, you're already on a list as owning that firearm. Even if you didn't check the box to have it "registered". That list has been used before, and will be used again.

Many posts in this forum about uses of that registry.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    5. If you purchase ammo for one you registered from certain shops then you probably won't have the MSP show up at the door at midnight in Tac gear, maybe.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    Bull.

They don't know what I bought as a Va. resident and brought back into Md when I moved back here. ;)

Willing to bet they're not going to go digging for the paper records of arms bought in the late '60s early '70s that were passed on to me also.

If one of those firearms would to be used in the commission of a crime, trust me, someone would be paying you a visit to find out who you sold it to. They have ways ... in my opinion just about every gun in the US is "registered" we just don't think they are because we may not have done any paperwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom