• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Don't try Atlantic Guns ... rather then make 10% or 20% they mark it up 70% to 80%

How much would YOU mark up a used gun if you had to pay cash up front for it, and have that cash tied up until you make a sale, and in the meantime, have to make payroll, pay rent, pay lots of insurance, and earn a living? Hint: if you only mark up a paid-cash-for-it item by 10%, you are aggressively LOSING MONEY when you're running a retail store in Montgomery County. At 70-80%, even assuming a fairly quick turn around of the money gambled, the actual net profit on such a sale (of, say, a typical traded-in average joe rifle or handgun) is barely pizza money. At 10%, you're buying pizza for someone else.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    How much would YOU mark up a used gun if you had to pay cash up front for it, and have that cash tied up until you make a sale, and in the meantime, have to make payroll, pay rent, pay lots of insurance, and earn a living? Hint: if you only mark up a paid-cash-for-it item by 10%, you are aggressively LOSING MONEY when you're running a retail store in Montgomery County. At 70-80%, even assuming a fairly quick turn around of the money gambled, the actual net profit on such a sale (of, say, a typical traded-in average joe rifle or handgun) is barely pizza money. At 10%, you're buying pizza for someone else.

All hail capitalism. Capitalism is freedom.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Nothing wrong with Capitalism , But there's a difference between that and screwing someone, It won't be so bad if they didn't play the " I don't have any room to deal on the price " and particularly if it's been sitting in the case for months , flip it and move on

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

The silver spring store has always had very friendly people in my experience. I like my LGS better but would patronize SS. The Rockville store is bad. Just plain bad!

With places like engage and United i dunno how Atlantic Rockville’s stays in business

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    The silver spring store has always had very friendly people in my experience. I like my LGS better but would patronize SS. The Rockville store is bad. Just plain bad!

With places like engage and United i dunno how Atlantic Rockville’s stays in business

You never know. I've been in Engage three times and had nothing but a chilly, nearly hostile experience. Have been in Atlantic's Rockville location for decades and never experienced or witnessed anything but pleasant, friendly help. The two stores focus on a different mix of products, but more than once I'd have dropped money in Engage if the counter help hadn't been been surly and dismissive right out of the gate. I spend where I'm welcome, and that's pretty easy to figure out after a few visits to any of the local stores.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Nothing wrong with Capitalism , But there's a difference between that and screwing someone, It won't be so bad if they didn't play the " I don't have any room to deal on the price " and particularly if it's been sitting in the case for months , flip it and move on

They're not SCREWING YOU ! They have something you want but are firm on the price and you're all butthurt because you want it for less.

Doing flea markets and yard sales I go through this crap all the time. I particularly like it when people say "why are you trying to get $25 ? I can get it on ebay for $20". My response is always "Then go buy it on ebay and quit wasting my time". Had one lady go on and on one time, she just wouldn't stop, even after I walked away. She pissed me off so bad I told her I wouldn't sell to her if she paid me double my asking price. Told her I'd throw it in the road and let the cars run over it before I'd sell to her.

I suggest you take your own advice. Don't get mad at them, just MOVE ON and buy it somewhere else. And if it's not something you can get just anywhere consider maybe it's worth what they're asking. In any case, IT'S THEIR ITEM, they can ask whatever they want. Your choice, buy or don't buy

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    They're not SCREWING YOU ! They have something you want but are firm on the price and you're all butthurt because you want it for less.

Doing flea markets and yard sales I go through this crap all the time. I particularly like it when people say "why are you trying to get $25 ? I can get it on ebay for $20". My response is always "Then go buy it on ebay and quit wasting my time". Had one lady go on and on one time, she just wouldn't stop, even after I walked away. She pissed me off so bad I told her I wouldn't sell to her if she paid me double my asking price. Told her I'd throw it in the road and let the cars run over it before I'd sell to her.

I suggest you take your own advice. Don't get mad at them, just MOVE ON and buy it somewhere else. And if it's not something you can get just anywhere consider maybe it's worth what they're asking. In any case, IT'S THEIR ITEM, they can ask whatever they want. Your choice, buy or don't buy

The "SCREWNG" is to the guy that's trying to sell or trade with them .
    Come on , when they offer you less then half of what you bought it from them
    for and deduct more saying not in that good of condition , How it's not a fast selling gun . That's not what they said to you when they were selling it to you
    and it's been shot once or twice and Its meticulously clean not a scratch or rub anywhere . I understand when you buy anything new it depreciates as you walk out the door but really 65% and were not talking about a cheap off brand gun .

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    You can always tell when someone has never worked in retail deeply or long enough to actually look at the books and see what it takes to stay afloat for as many years as a company like Atlantic. If they were "screwing" people, they'd have dried up and gone away decades ago.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    You can always tell when someone has never worked in retail deeply or long enough to actually look at the books and see what it takes to stay afloat for as many years as a company like Atlantic. If they were "screwing" people, they'd have dried up and gone away decades ago.

:thumbsup:

Yup ! They're not everybody's cup o tea but they must be doing something right

East2West

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2013
    Nomalley, Nobama

Gotta be tough to stay in business having to sell items at 100% Mark up to turn a decent profit.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Gotta be tough to stay in business having to sell items at 100% Mark up to turn a decent profit.

If a brick and mortar retailer in an incredibly expensive place (to do business) like Montgomery County doesn't make a point of marking up at least a fair portion of what they sell at MORE than 100% over their simple costs (never mind all of their overhead), they will no longer be in business.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Use someone else if you feel they are abusing you.

It isn’t a a free world. And again if you voice your opinion then great. Others are also ok without agreeing.

I for like engage but others don’t. Great enjoy going to someone else.

I am never screwed by others. I educate myself prior to making a purchase or sale.

If you don’t do that then you are screwing yourself.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Somewhere the point was lost , It's not about how much they mark it up , It's the outright stealing they do when they buy a gun or trade with you , Your trade is a POS mine is gold.
    But they sold it to you a year ago , I never sell wholesale something I bought retail , but that's what's your doing , I never trade in a gunshop , I'll do all that in the private sector .
    I won't pay full retail . I buy from them on their Sales and their October Sunday Sale blow out , if you went in on Saturday they were pricing the guns ,you saw one you wanted one of the old crew would put in back with your name on it so you didn't have to be there when the doors open , Don't know if this new young crew is that accommodating , Dale Carl and Joel always took good care of regular customers , I missed them when I moved . LGS in Tennessee are okay but those guys were Pro's ,

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    It's the outright stealing they do when they buy a gun or trade with you

What? How are they stealing something from you? You're walking in there and asking them to give you money for something you own, which - if they buy it - they have to turn around and sell as part of how they make a living and pay their substantial overhead. They can't "steal" ANYTHING from you, because if you don't like the offer, you can simply walk away. Not sure how to be more clear on this. If you think you can make a good pitch and deal with the logistics and risk and get more money by selling it so someone else, why not simply do that?

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I've been buying at Atlantic in SS since the mid '70s and Rockville since they opened. I've never felt cheated and everyone always treated me fairly and nicely. Now, if I didn't like their price, I have gone elsewhere. We are free to shop around.
    With trade-ins or consignment, I just figure I'm paying for the convenience of not having to deal with a private sale - advertising, shipping if necessary, meeting up, etc. Again, if I don't like the offer, I'm free to go somewhere else. It's like car dealerships, there are more than one. Just because I don't like a price doesn't mean they're stealing. I can walk away.
    But, I can change the channel on the TV, choose a different church, shop at Aldi instead of Giant, etc. etc.

Sleepy

Jan 19, 2013
    You never know. I've been in Engage three times and had nothing but a chilly, nearly hostile experience.

They've always been very cordial when I've dropped in.

Plus Brutus makes sure to make love to my leg five or six times whenever I'm there.

I've been buying at Atlantic in SS since the mid '70s and Rockville since they opened. I've never felt cheated and everyone always treated me fairly and nicely. Now, if I didn't like their price, I have gone elsewhere. We are free to shop around.
    With trade-ins or consignment, I just figure I'm paying for the convenience of not having to deal with a private sale - advertising, shipping if necessary, meeting up, etc. Again, if I don't like the offer, I'm free to go somewhere else. It's like car dealerships, there are more than one. Just because I don't like a price doesn't mean they're stealing. I can walk away.
    But, I can change the channel on the TV, choose a different church, shop at Aldi instead of Giant, etc. etc.

My grandfather has been as well, and so have I since I can remember. Also known the Schneider family a very long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom