• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    So I've decided to be one of those guys that lug a 500 S&W around while hiking. More specifically, back country hiking for days-on-end within Glacier National Park (Montana). My Google-fu hasn't turned up much that appeals so here is the need/want list:

500 S&W, 4" barrel, stock grip and sights

1. Hip/belt mounted holster (OWB). The cross-draw and chest rigs won't play well with my backpacking pack and load out.
    2. Preferably leather, but open to other materials. Needs to take some outdoor abuse and hold up well. Can't be losing retention strength out there!
    3. Black or other shade of black. I know... this sounds ridiculous but the natural tan leather just DOES NOT work for me. I appreciate it, but it's not for me.

So the Galco D.A.O looks perfect, but that tan leather kills it. Can it be dyed black by a leather worker? Thoughts on other carry rigs?

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    So I've decided to be one of those guys that lug a 500 S&W around while hiking. More specifically, back country hiking for days-on-end within Glacier National Park (Montana). My Google-fu hasn't turned up much that appeals so here is the need/want list:

500 S&W, 4" barrel, stock grip and sights

1. Hip/belt mounted holster (OWB). The cross-draw and chest rigs won't play well with my backpacking pack and load out.
    2. Preferably leather, but open to other materials. Needs to take some outdoor abuse and hold up well. Can't be losing retention strength out there!
    3. Black or other shade of black. I know... this sounds ridiculous but the natural tan leather just DOES NOT work for me. I appreciate it, but it's not for me.

So the Galco D.A.O looks perfect, but that tan leather kills it. Can it be dyed black by a leather worker? Thoughts on other carry rigs?

I'm going to Glacier and Flathead NF this year as well, except I'm bringing the .454 revolver.

I know you said hip mounted, but why?

In my backpacking experience, hip mounted holsters suck. For one, they interfere with the belt of a rucksack. If they don't, they most likely will pinch your skin because of two waistbelts. You can mount it to the rucksack belt itself, but that means you will not have it on when you remove the ruck. Another issue is that the weight will be on one side of you. Not a big deal with a typical sidearm, but a loaded magnum caliber revolver over many miles is noticeable. Hopefully your lucky to find one that doesn't slap around on your leg too.

In my opinion and experience, chest holsters are the absolute best for backpacking. You said it wouldn't work due to your backpacking, but I think it would work great. Unless you have some strange kind of rucksack, a quality chest holster will fit underneath your straps and remain comfortable and out of your way. It will also be in a better position for weight bearing.

I recommend the Kenai Holster from Gunfighters Inc. It's an open kydex holster with thin synthetic straps that have elastic attached to allow you to keep it tight yet still have it be flexible. Leather straps would be uncomfortable. It has great retention and is very comfortable. I've hiked with it through Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. In contrast, I've carried my Glock on the East Coast while backpacking and have tried every imaginable configuration before switching to the Kenai holster for that gun too.

Kenai-Chest-Holster-GunfightersINC-over-shoft-shell.jpg

Hope you have a good time out there and carry bear spray!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I recommend the Kenai Holster from Gunfighters Inc. It's an open kydex holster with thin synthetic straps that have elastic attached to allow you to keep it tight yet still have it be flexible.

Their website makes me want to have a seizure, but these guys are just up the road in PA and allege that they can make anything you want:

http://frontierleatherworks.com

Lol, this thread may cost me some money.

GNP is the most beautiful place in the country.
    If you haven't gone, I think you'd love Banff and Jasper in Canada. Variations on the same theme.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Even though the Kenai holster is expensive, I honestly can't think of another tolerable way to carry while backpacking, especially with a big bore revolver.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Would like to try a chest rig, but the sternum strap on my Osprey ATMOS AG would get in the way. Wonder if a proper drop leg on a 500 is possible?

If you want to walk with a hitch in your step.

I can't imagine anything less comfortable.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Would like to try a chest rig, but the sternum strap on my Osprey ATMOS AG would get in the way. Wonder if a proper drop leg on a 500 is possible?

Drop legs are HORRIBLE. I've done it before and I'd never do it again. The only good reason for a drop leg is if you're wearing a plate carrier and need the clearance.

I use my chest rig while having my Osprey pack chest strapped. It doesn't get in the way. You just have to put the chest strap either over or under the holster strap. Trust me, it works fine.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    I use my chest rig while having my Osprey pack chest strapped. It doesn't get in the way. You just have to put the chest strap either over or under the holster strap. Trust me, it works fine.

I just might have to try one on for size. Love the idea of a drop leg, but functionally I can see it being less than ideal.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Look on the Smith and Wesson site. The have a DeSantis leather holster made just for your firearm (pricey) and a DeSantis cordura type holster also (still pricey...but not nearly so much). I have carried my 460 XVR in 8 3/8" in the Cordura one while deer hunting. They also make something similar for like a 4 or 5 inch x frame. I usually also carry a fairly sizable backpack. No problem with the two. The Cordura one for mine was like 89 bucks or something. The leather one is well north of 200, IIRC.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Update.

I just backpacked with my Glock in the Kenai holster.

The strap buckle does kind of interfere with the shoulder strap of that pack after many miles, but not too bad. I think I need to just readjust the holsters top strap slightly to fix the issue, but I didn't feel like it at the time. The negatives are that the holster strap gets pushed in towards your neck, and the top holster buckle sits near the collarbone if you're skinny. I remedied this by making sure make shirt was protecting my neck and making the backpack chest strap loose to prevent shoulder straps of the pack from sliding the holster straps ( I have my hips carry the weight anyway). I suspect if you loosen the top holster strap you will fix the collarbone issue, as I had mine riding pretty high. I think that's because I had the straps adjusted for my revolver holster, which needs more support for the weight.

It was still way better than any other way I have tried, especially for a big bore revolver.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

You can do it yourself. Go to a shoe shop and buy some black leather dye. Might take 2 or 3 coats, but will work. Then take a soft cream black shoe polish. You want it to soak in the leather. Then hit it with a shoe brush. It should not be a problem rubbing off after that. Or the shoe shop should be able to do it for you, if they know anything about their business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom