KeyMod rail - anyone put one through it's paces??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    Seems like the latest gimmick to me.

Most all accessories are made for picatinny, and since it would be easier to make money off a new mounting option rather than advancement in accessories, someone made a new mounting option. Buy a rail AND all new accessories since your picatinny mounts aren't good enough anymore.

Instead of throwing your money away, why not throw it in an envelope and send it to me?

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Seems like the latest gimmick to me.

Most all accessories are made for picatinny, and since it would be easier to make money off a new mounting option rather than advancement in accessories, someone made a new mounting option. Buy a rail AND all new accessories since your picatinny mounts aren't good enough anymore.

Instead of throwing your money away, why not throw it in an envelope and send it to me?

I think you need to do a little more research into what Keymod is all about.

There is no reason why you can't use your Picatinny accessories with them.

@ The OP....Yes, KEYMOD is gaining ground within the industry. You can use Picatinny accessories with them or direct attach accessories. KEYMOD allows for a lighter/thinner handguard and they don't feel like a cheese grater on your hands. They also don't require back plates and proprietary mounts like the modular Picatinny handguards.

Personally, I like them and think it will become the industry standard. I'm waiting on BCM's new Keymod rail called the KMR. I'll post a link so you can check it out. As you'll see in the link, some very prominent people in the industry think KEYMOD is here to stay.

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/01/07/bcm-introduces-keymod-13-modular-handguard/

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I think you need to do a little more research into what Keymod is all about.

There is no reason why you can't use your Picatinny accessories with them.

@ The OP....Yes, KEYMOD is gaining ground within the industry. You can use Picatinny accessories with them or direct attach accessories. KEYMOD allows for a lighter/thinner handguard and they don't feel like a cheese grater on your hands. They also don't require back plates and proprietary mounts like the modular Picatinny handguards.

Personally, I like them and think it will become the industry standard. I'm waiting on BCM's new Keymod rail called the KMR. I'll post a link so you can check it out. As you'll see in the link, some very prominent people in the industry think KEYMOD is here to stay.

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/01/07/bcm-introduces-keymod-13-modular-handguard/

OMG.... Some one said KEYMOD...

AGAIN

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Also, since the attachment points for Keymod actually remove metal instead of adding it like picatinny does, You can have a much much lighter keymod handguard.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    The latest for the gear queers:)

Quite the opposite. Keymod is for those who want just enough rail for minimal accessories. Why else would you use/need a full quad rail if you aren't attaching a ****load of weight to your rig? Comfort, lighter weight, ability to put on whatever you need and put it exactly where you want it, without sacrificing hand placement or needing gloves. Unless you need to look more tactical of course.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    This statement suggests that there is a time when I would want to look LESS tactical. And that's ridiculous. Next you'll be telling me that I don't need to wear multi-cam to the range.

Well duh. Obviously wearing ACU pants with a UCP combat shirt tight enough to *REALLY* show off those back and gut rolls is the way real operators do it.

sergeant_awesome_zps22af5c72.jpg

He's not just the tip of the spear.....he's the nozzle of the douche.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    At least he (?) does not look as bad as that weeble donk on that show Mountain Mnsters who always seems to slip and fall into the creeks and has issues climbing hills. Yes- I watch that show.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I don't know... that dude is pretty skinny by Hap Baker standards. :lol:

Today I heard NcStar and UTG are forming a consortium that will offer an alternative to the proprietary KEYMOD system offered by BCM. It will be called the "MODKEY" and feature free float hand guards with up to 8 sides.

When asked why 8 sides, the consortium's marketing spokesman replied "With 1.1 billion people, we know a little something about mounting at many angles. All rails come with free ChiCOG 4x scope, coated in rubber for your protection from elements and bad hygiene."

BCM promptly rebuffed the consortium's attempt to capture market share by announcing the introduction of their value line branded as "The Booty Brigade"... with promises to be in stock as early as the Fall of 2018. :lol2:

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I don't know... that dude is pretty skinny by Hap Baker standards. :lol:

Today I heard NcStar and UTG are forming a consortium that will offer an alternative to the proprietary KEYMOD system offered by BCM. It will be called the "MODKEY" and feature free float hand guards with up to 8 sides.

When asked why 8 sides, the consortium's marketing spokesman replied "With 1.1 billion people, we know a little something about mounting at many angles. All rails come with free ChiCOG 4x scope, coated in rubber for your protection from elements and bad hygiene."

BCM promptly rebuffed the consortium's attempt to capture market share by announcing the introduction of their value line branded as "The Booty Brigade"... with promises to be in stock as early as the Fall of 2018. :lol2:

You make it sound like BCM invented Keymod. It was actually invented by VLTOR and first introduced by Noveske.

About a year ago, VLTOR released the blue prints and patent on the design in hopes to standardize the platform. It's still very young but as you can see, all the major players are jumping on board.

Here is a article talking about how Keymod came to be and what it's advantages are. Like the article says, VLTOR doesn't want Keymod to replace Picatinny. They want Keymod to work parallel with it.

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2012/07/25/vltor-gives-the-keymod-tdp-to-you/

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom