• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I watched the deer special they had...it was interesting but had lots of anti-gun overtones. Im sure the coywolf would be interesting too.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I watched the deer special they had...it was interesting but had lots of anti-gun overtones. Im sure the coywolf would be interesting too.

Yeah. In my work, I rub elbows with a lot of people who went into wildlife management to "save the innocent furries". They have permeated everything and cling to refuted and skewed studies showing classic hunting programs don't reduce populations. Based on your other posts, I take it you are familiar with the deer hunting in MD. The effective deer cull programs happening in places like MD focus on antlerless deer and take all shapes and sizes. There is new research to back the practice up to boot. Good luck finding that outlined well in any media as it is not a popular topic to advertise to the general public.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Yeah. In my work, I rub elbows with a lot of people who went into wildlife management to "save the innocent furries". They have permeated everything and cling to refuted and skewed studies showing classic hunting programs don't reduce populations. Based on your other posts, I take it you are familiar with the deer hunting in MD. The effective deer cull programs happening in places like MD focus on antlerless deer and take all shapes and sizes. There is new research to back the practice up to boot. Good luck finding that outlined well in any media as it is not a popular topic to advertise to the general public.

Anti-hunters/vegans/libs whatever will throw a fit over killing a deer but then turn around and say abortion is ok:sad20::sad20:

I do my part every hunting season--fill my deer tags:D:D

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    What a stupid show...here's what I posted to their facebook page:

What a nice sanitized show that also missed out on several important facets of eastern coyotes. I was VERY disappointed.
    1)color phases- no mention of the red/ blond and black colorations, or the various grey colorations you never see in western coyotes. Yet in one short clip you show a blond phase but zoom out on it!
    2) no mention of the red wolf and the interbreeding of the red wolf with coyotes in the SE
    3)Mange- you show an older female that obviously has mange, yet mention nothing at all in any part of the show about the mortality of coyotes to mange.
    4) I would love to have seen something about the coyotes in/around Washington DC- what an interesting place to be finding a lot of coyotes! And they are true easterns, unlike the coyotes you spent so much time on in Chicago.
    5) why no mention of weights of eastern coyotes or of the maximum weights recorded?
    6) Nothing about the "border zone" in Quebec, where trappers regularly catch animals that look like true hybrids, yet go over the St Laurence and it's pretty much all wolves on that side. Nothing about trapping anyway- how about showing us how the study coyotes were caught for radio collaring?
    7)red foxes vs coyotes, as well as impact on feral cats, pet cats, and the #'s of small dogs also killed by coyotes.
    8)coyotes in pairs or packs baiting in domestic dogs, then killing them
    9) packs of eastern coyotes- you mentioned this but stated they don't normally form packs, when I and thousands of hunters and trappers know they do!
    10) coydogs- just talk to hunters and trappers- they will show you photos of coydogs all day long- they do exist. One of the most interesting ones I have seen were a pack taken out by a trapper in NY- they all shared the same wire haired pelage, yet had coyotes features and behaved just like any wild coyote would in a trap.
    11) actual predation of deer and other wildlife impacts by eastern coyotes- PA seems to be a very good example to look at. There was also a study on endangered woodland caribou predation in NB or Quebec, to determine what was killing the caribou calves. It was thought to be black bears, but turned out to be coy-wolves. But it included trapping and killing as a cull to help these endangered caribou, so I guess in your sanitized version, we couldn't have that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom