• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tacswa3

Oct 7, 2013
    For example, denied me a Ruger 10/22. They thought it was law but after an explanation they contacted corporate and was told it was POLICY not law.

They were first instructed to sell the firearm and after the computer form doesn't allow the buyer to choose MD as a place of residence, they got back on the phone with corporate for further instruction and was told that form would cause issues and not to sell. So some are being informed its a law, that NO firearms whatsoever are to be sold to MD residents and corporate is saying POLICY

Green Top, however will sell a non-banned firearm to you.

Nonsense......

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    For example, denied me a Ruger 10/22. They thought it was law but after an explanation they contacted corporate and was told it was POLICY not law.

They were first instructed to sell the firearm and after the computer form doesn't allow the buyer to choose MD as a place of residence, they got back on the phone with corporate for further instruction and was told that form would cause issues and not to sell. So some are being informed its a law, that NO firearms whatsoever are to be sold to MD residents and corporate is saying POLICY

Nonsense......

Can you really blame them? They try to educate every employee and make redundant systems to prevent just 1 mistake, but if only 1 mistake happens they are fooked.

Why should they risk it?

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Is it black.... Then don't sell to MD
    Is it scary looking .. Then don't sell to MD
    Could it be converted to look scary... Then don't sell to MD
    Look again, are you sure it's not scary... Then don't sell to MD

Easy flowchart

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010

Nonsense......

Was that an 'in store' cash & carry purchase ? I've made purchases from Bass Pro in Richmond via email and had it shipped to BP in Baltimore where they did the NICS and MSP paperwork, then held until 'not disapproved'. No problem.

Tacswa3

Oct 7, 2013
    Was that an 'in store' cash & carry purchase ? I've made purchases from Bass Pro in Richmond via email and had it shipped to BP in Baltimore where they did the NICS and MSP paperwork, then held until 'not disapproved'. No problem.

Yes, it was an in store Cash & carry. A ruger 10/22, .22 cal rifle.

The sale was initially approved by corporate after they "double checked" the rules. The form (I forget the form #) where you answer all the back ground questions is done by their computer. Well, when you get to state of residence question .....Maryland is wiped from the list. That is when they "double checked again and they denied the sale. Probably because they didn't know how to get around that part.

IGOR455

Oct 12, 2011
    glen burnout
    i was in the hampton bass pro saturday stock ing up on mags and such and had no problem. didnt try to buy a firearm. if they had a remington 7615, pump action 223 i would have bought it but they didnt
    they never asked me where i was from now a firearm might be different

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I do not understand why basspro central can't keep up with state law better. It took a LONG time for them to get the 8 day release issue cleared up. They still aren't interpreting the contiguous state issue correctly for long-gun purchases. The arundel mills one is refusing to let people handle handguns unless they have an HQL that they can display at the counter because their interpretation is that handing a gun to a customer to look over is "renting" the gun to them somehow.

It gets frustrating. I guess it's the downside to having so much to risk with such a huge company as basspro...everything is played SUPER conservative in order to prevent the store from getting fines or losing their FFL, and the bad press associated with it. Smaller stores are a little bit lighter on their feet and can adapt to change easier.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    Is it black.... Then don't sell to MD
    Is it scary looking .. Then don't sell to MD
    Could it be converted to look scary... Then don't sell to MD
    Look again, are you sure it's not scary... Then don't sell to MD

Easy flowchart
    Man that's just racist toward the black gun!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Gander Mountain in VA has the regulated (now banned) list in a book at the store. If it is not on the list, they will sell it.

This is not rocket science.

But if Bass Pro doesn't want my business, that is fine by me. Cabela's and Gander will sell to me.

Tacswa3

Oct 7, 2013
    I was actually down at Green top and bass pro today for the first time. Blown away by both stores especially green top.

Well, I got the gun I wanted at Green Top after Bass Pro said no. Much happier giving my money to them.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Bass Pro has stores in about 35 states, and in terms of population, Minn and Wisc have to be the two largest states they are not in. Long and short of it, I am guessing their stores are located in states totaling over 270 million. Maryland's population is just under 5.9 million. We're a pissant little market as far as corporate is concerned. I'm sure they're focusing on the changes in law in California and New York first. They may get around to figuring out the firearms laws in Maryland someday, and updating their sales software as well. Some day. We're just so tiny.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    I think most of the big corporate places have that policy. Stopped by Green Top and Bass Pro a few weeks ago. Green Top was pretty cool, their prices seemed a bit high though.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Bass Pro has stores in about 35 states, and in terms of population, Minn and Wisc have to be the two largest states they are not in. Long and short of it, I am guessing their stores are located in states totaling over 270 million. Maryland's population is just under 5.9 million. We're a pissant little market as far as corporate is concerned. I'm sure they're focusing on the changes in law in California and New York first. They may get around to figuring out the firearms laws in Maryland someday, and updating their sales software as well. Some day. We're just so tiny.

They have a store in MD. Hum... not sure how long they will have that store at this rate... An inter store call is all it would take.. unless they have suspended all firearm sales at that store as well..

Anyone know?

Not all FFL will survive so maybe BP Maryland has made its call..

FoxFirearms

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    WOW...could we really get into a discussion about this. I was getting Rock River LAR-15 1201 (HBars) directly from Rock River at a great price, but once SB 281 kicked in, Rock River told me no more sales to MD - even for Heavy Barrels...new corporate policy. I have a number of distributors that won't ship anything to MD, and one ad me sign a contract agreeing that I would not sell any banned weapons to MD residents that I got from them.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Some times I want to scream about the dealers not keeping up with the Maryland laws and/or making anti-Md policies, then I look back at a forum sticky about the threats previous AG Curran made to out-of-state dealers and others at one time, the current political climate in Md, then I see some of the questions that continue to pop up on this forum mulitiple times from gun owners who can't/don't understand Maryland's laws, and I can begin to understand some dealers attitudes......

It sucks to be a gun owner/buyer/seller in Maryland....

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    Can you really blame them? They try to educate every employee and make redundant systems to prevent just 1 mistake, but if only 1 mistake happens they are fooked.

Why should they risk it?

Yeah, I can blame them. As much as we complain about the statute it really isn't THAT complicated. .22s 29" and over aren't banned.

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    I don't understand why this isn't easy for a big retailers like BP. They employ (or at least retain) a legal staff that should be more than capable of understanding and analyzing the various state laws. All they need to do is program their computer system so that firearm sku's are accepted/rejected based upon the customer's state of residence. The corporate legal beagle's keep control of the whole thing and the sales staff doesn't need a law degree to sell product. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't it legal for a gun shop in say Montana, to sell a MD banned weapon to a MD resident in Montana? I would think it only becomes illegal when the resident brings it into MD. Is that right? The point being, whats the legal risk to BP if it's the customer that breaks the law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom