Who reloads in their apartment, condo, townhouse?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Where do you reload?

• Apartment

Votes: 6 7.1%
    • Condo

Votes: 3 3.6%
    • Townhouse

Votes: 23 27.4%
    • Multi-family dwelling

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Single family home

Votes: 46 54.8%
    • elsewhere

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Here's something...I'm still looking for link to the fire marshal.

3) "Explosives" does not include fixed ammunition for small arms, small arms ammunition primers, small arms percussion caps, safety and pyrotechnic fuses, quills, quick and slow matches, friction primers, fireworks, or common matches when used in their original configuration.

(d) Explosives for use in firearms.- "Explosives for use in firearms" means:

(1) smokeless powder for loading or reloading small arms ammunition; or

(2) black powder for loading or reloading small arms ammunition, antique arms, or replicas of antique arms.

[An. Code 1957, art. 38A, § 26; 2003, ch. 5, § 2.]

d) Same - Possession of explosives for use in firearms.-

(1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person need not obtain a license to possess or store up to 5 pounds of smokeless powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition, and up to 5 pounds of black powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition or for use in the loading of antique arms or replicas of antique arms, if the smokeless powder and black powder are stored in their original shipping containers and are possessed only for personal use in firearms.

(2) A person may not possess or store explosives for use in firearms in any quantity in multifamily dwellings, apartments, dormitories, hotels, schools, other public buildings, or buildings or structures open for public use.
    (3) Notwithstanding paragraph (2) of this subsection, the State Fire Marshal may issue a permit to allow temporary possession of explosives for use in firearms in a building or structure open for public use.

§ 11-115. Same - Explosives for use in firearms; required reports.

(a) Prohibitions on possession or storage of explosives for use in firearms.-

(1) A person may not possess at any time or store in any one place more than 5 pounds of smokeless powder or more than 5 pounds of black powder for use in firearms unless the person is licensed under this subtitle.

(2) A person may not engage in the business of loading or reloading small arms ammunition unless the person is licensed to engage in business as a dealer under this subtitle.

(3) Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, a person may not possess or store explosives for use in firearms in any quantity in multifamily dwellings, apartments, dormitories, hotels, schools or other public buildings, or buildings or structures open for public use.

(b) Prohibition on sale of explosives for use in firearms.- A dealer may not sell, barter, give, or dispose of more than 5 pounds of black powder or more than 5 pounds of smokeless powder for use in firearms to any one person at any one time unless the person is licensed under this subtitle.

(c) Failure to file reports or records prohibited.- A person may not fail to file reports or records required under § 11-112 of this subtitle.

(d) Failure to file report of theft prohibited.- A person may not fail to file a report of theft of explosives required under § 11-113 of this subtitle.

(e) Penalty.- A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 6 months or a fine not exceeding $500 or both.

[An. Code 1957, art. 38A, §§ 27B(b), (c), (d)(1), 31A, 34D; 2003, ch. 5, § 2; ch. 21, § 7.]

(3) Notwithstanding paragraph (2) of this subsection, the State Fire Marshal may issue a permit to allow temporary possession of explosives for use in firearms in a building or structure open for public use.

This section relates to gun shows not apartment buildings.

FIXED AMMUNITION IS: Ammunition in which the cartridge case is permanently attached to the projectile.

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    What is the definition of multifamily?

It doesn't appear in that section and both other "PUBLIC SAFETY" sections where it is defined specifically exclude townhouses from the definition.

Does the previous definition continue unless/until it is redefined? If so, the § 9-1001 definition may be relevant:

Code:
    (3) (i) "Residential dwelling" means a building or part of a building that provides living or sleeping facilities for one or more individuals.

(ii) "Residential dwelling" includes a multifamily residential dwelling, hotel, motel, boardinghouse, lodging house, rooming house, inn, club, or dormitory.

(iii) "Residential dwelling" does not include:

1. a single family residential dwelling; or

2. a multifamily residential dwelling in which the individual dwelling units are arranged in a row, side by side, and not constructed above each other.

The only other one I found in the entire "PUBLIC SAFETY" section is the § 9-201 definition:

Code:
    (f) Multifamily residential dwelling. --

(1) "Multifamily residential dwelling" means a building or part of a building that:

(i) contains more than two dwelling units; and

(ii) is not classified as a one or two family dwelling.

(2) "Multifamily residential dwelling" does not include a town house.

If the intent or letter of the law is to not include townhouses as multifamily dwellings, townhouse people may be safe. It'll take someone with more knowledge than me to find the answer though.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    What is the definition of multifamily?

It doesn't appear in that section and both other "PUBLIC SAFETY" sections where it is defined specifically exclude townhouses from the definition.

Does the previous definition continue unless/until it is redefined? If so, the § 9-1001 definition may be relevant:

Code:
    (3) (i) "Residential dwelling" means a building or part of a building that provides living or sleeping facilities for one or more individuals.

(ii) "Residential dwelling" includes a multifamily residential dwelling, hotel, motel, boardinghouse, lodging house, rooming house, inn, club, or dormitory.

(iii) "Residential dwelling" does not include:

1. a single family residential dwelling; or

2. a multifamily residential dwelling in which the individual dwelling units are arranged in a row, side by side, and not constructed above each other.

The only other one I found in the entire "PUBLIC SAFETY" section is the § 9-201 definition:

Code:
    (f) Multifamily residential dwelling. --

(1) "Multifamily residential dwelling" means a building or part of a building that:

(i) contains more than two dwelling units; and

(ii) is not classified as a one or two family dwelling.

(2) "Multifamily residential dwelling" does not include a town house.

If the intent or letter of the law is to not include townhouses as multifamily dwellings, townhouse people may be safe. It'll take someone with more knowledge than me to find the answer though.

I hate the law and did not reload in my townhouse for the 6 1/2 years we were there. I did all my reloading at my parents'. I am so happy that I can do it here and that I have a lot more room for it here than at my parents'. Looks like I should have done some more research into whether a townhouse is considered a multi-family dwelling. Thing is, I am pretty conservative and anal when it comes to this stuff so I probably still wouldn't have reloaded in my townhouse.

I'll look through this thread in its entirety after dinner and see what I can add as far as the actual law and what the definition of a townhouse and/or multi-family dwelling might be.

The entire reason I started this thread was because I was wondering how many people might be reloading in a condo, apartment, or multi-family dwelling without knowing what the law is. My mistake was in assuming that if people know the law they will follow it instead of throwing up the middle finger. Personally, I hate the law. I hate the 5 pound limitation even when you are living in a single family house. I hate the 5 pound limitation if I am reloading in a detached garage. Following the law makes it pretty much impossible to keep powder on hand for several different gauges/calibers/purposes.

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    I hate the law and did not reload in my townhouse for the 6 1/2 years we were there. I did all my reloading at my parents'. I am so happy that I can do it here and that I have a lot more room for it here than at my parents'. Looks like I should have done some more research into whether a townhouse is considered a multi-family dwelling. Thing is, I am pretty conservative and anal when it comes to this stuff so I probably still wouldn't have reloaded in my townhouse.

I'll look through this thread in its entirety after dinner and see what I can add as far as the actual law and what the definition of a townhouse and/or multi-family dwelling might be.

The entire reason I started this thread was because I was wondering how many people might be reloading in a condo, apartment, or multi-family dwelling without knowing what the law is. My mistake was in assuming that if people know the law they will follow it instead of throwing up the middle finger. Personally, I hate the law. I hate the 5 pound limitation even when you are living in a single family house. I hate the 5 pound limitation if I am reloading in a detached garage. Following the law makes it pretty much impossible to keep powder on hand for several different gauges/calibers/purposes.

That is the purpose. Unelected person makes a determination that has dire effects for anyone who breaks it.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    If I understand the law correctly, it's not illegal to reload but it's illegal to store the smokeless powder?

So in theory, you can store the primer and bullet itself in the dwelling but the powder must be stored in residence owned by someone who can be in possession of the powder?

Therefore, one could go and get the powder from said dwelling, use it to reload, and return it when finished??

covertpanda

Penguin Hunter
    Sep 10, 2013
    Carroll
    If I understand the law correctly, it's not illegal to reload but it's illegal to store the smokeless powder?

So in theory, you can store the primer and bullet itself in the dwelling but the powder must be stored in residence owned by someone who can be in possession of the powder?

Therefore, one could go and get the powder from said dwelling, use it to reload, and return it when finished??
    When the powder breaks the threshold of any entrance to your multi-family dwelling place; it is now being stored there, albeit not for a long period of time.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    With regard to loading/reloading in a townhouse.

I suppose that I was breaking the law for the several years that I lived in my townhouse, and so was my neighbor.

I loaded for six (6) calibers and kept everything under that roof.

I had good homeowner's insurance and TERRIFIC fire insurance.
    I never stored more than the 'allowed' five (5) pounds of powder.

There is a point to where these STOOPID laws gets absurd.

I'm not skeered. That was over 25 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom