• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I was at a match today and a fellow shooter had a primer pocket blow out the side of the primer straight into his face. He is a right handed shooter, shooting a left bolt and left feed gun which isnt uncommon for target shooters so you dont have to get out of position. Which means his face was really close to the port. Luckily he was fine.

We arent 100% positive the cause but after talking amongst several shooters the likely cause was a plugged primer pocket. Bolt face was slighting damaged, extractor messed up but he never hand a sticky bolt. Round count changed and at the last minute and he said he loaded another 30 rounds quickly and didnt check those pockets. I've popped primers, pierced primers, cratered primers, over charged and had sticky bolts but never seen a primer pocket blow out the side.

When tumbling please clean to make sure all primer pockets are 100% clear before priming. I typically take a small allen wrench and run through each hole and then look through the brass into the light to verify.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I've never heard of that before. You would think the flash hole blockage would blow into the case before the brass failed/ Would love to see a picture of it.

This is my thought.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Is the gun a benchrest bolt action rifle with the bolt on the left side?

Its an Fclass gun, almost like a benchrest rifle. 284 shehane

I've never heard of that before. You would think the flash hole blockage would blow into the case before the brass failed/ Would love to see a picture of it.

I'll see if I can get pictures. The brass didn't fail, pressure came out the side of the primer into the primer pocket escaping and back to his face.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Let's see the pictures.

Which action?

As much as the Remington 700 is derided, it is a rather safe action.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I still can't see this from a piece of media in the flash hole.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    How does a piece of media in the flash hold cause this?
    Did the main powder ignite?

Did the primer pop out of the primer pocket?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Looks something similar to this...maybe his primer pockets are getting loose on him?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
      Capture.JPG
      13.7 KB · Views: 333

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Might have been simply defective (the primer itself). It's not unheard of.

The more I'm reading, the more I think it was related to this. What is interesting is that it happened in back to back shots.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Looks something similar to this...maybe his primer pockets are getting loose on him?

Interesting that photo is of a 303 BRIT.
    If used on an Enfield, many are known for having headspace issues. My N4mk1 passes a Field gate but not a No go gauge. Depending on the brand of case, you can get split cases and other failures like seperation. Remington lasted only 2 reloads on me. PPU lasted longer.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    If used on an Enfield, many are known for having headspace issues. My N4mk1 passes a Field gate but not a No go gauge. Depending on the brand of case, you can get split cases and other failures like seperation. Remington lasted only 2 reloads on me. PPU lasted longer.

That was a stock photo I grabbed off the internet but resembles the primer from this weekend

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I was at a match today and a fellow shooter had a primer pocket blow out the side of the primer straight into his face. He is a right handed shooter, shooting a left bolt and left feed gun which isnt uncommon for target shooters so you dont have to get out of position. Which means his face was really close to the port. Luckily he was fine.

We arent 100% positive the cause but after talking amongst several shooters the likely cause was a plugged primer pocket. Bolt face was slighting damaged, extractor messed up but he never hand a sticky bolt. Round count changed and at the last minute and he said he loaded another 30 rounds quickly and didnt check those pockets. I've popped primers, pierced primers, cratered primers, over charged and had sticky bolts but never seen a primer pocket blow out the side.

When tumbling please clean to make sure all primer pockets are 100% clear before priming. I typically take a small allen wrench and run through each hole and then look through the brass into the light to verify.

Something to checkout is a flash channel that has become eroded or reamed oversize on accident. (expanding gas pressure could overcome the tensile/elasticity strength of the primer cup material) then leak around the edge of the primer cup. Especially when it (the primer) becomes unseated.

303 British Enfield's don't have a Sammi spec for no go. No go is an American invention with Sammi standards. Field is .074 min is .064
    A side note is your better off Hspacing your rilfe with the bolt just a few degrees until closed or by choosing the next lessor bolt head to allow that to happen. The reason is with the bolt nearly closed to the wrist socket the bolt lugs are not head spacing off the extractor cams machined into the induction hardened lug recess.

Neck size your brass only and put orthodontist rubber bands on the new brass up against the rim to blow the shoulder forward and remove the head gap in thin rims for new brass. Heavy test fishing line drawn over shears like you make a ribbon then cut to right length will work too.

Wartime expediency temporary standards for maintenance allowed up to .076 for a field measurement in Be's when they were in a pinch. They didn't have to save their brass like you and me:)

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Ok real pics

Attachments

• IMG_0179.jpg
      IMG_0179.jpg
      37.4 KB · Views: 300
    • IMG_0178.jpg
      IMG_0178.jpg
      53.2 KB · Views: 304

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    That is a sign of the primer failure to seal the cartridge. Probably the primer pocket has been enlarged from pressure.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Somehow I knew someone would bring up the 303 rubber band trick, yes I did that when I got about half way through my 303 brass (factory PPU). It may have been you telling me to do that back in 2013 :)
    Yes I neck size only my 303 and 7.62x54r Ammo (I have 2 of the same die one set up for each)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom