• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfwood

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2011
    GOA Win Elhert v Settle (Virginia law unconstitutional as applied to 18-20 year olds)

Virginia law is unconstitutional as applied to 18-21 year olds litigated by GOa

Attachments

• Elhert v Settle, opinion letter.pdf
      801.6 KB · Views: 198
    Last edited:

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Good read, it's nice to see a win, and even nicer to read a opinion of a judge who has the guts to stand up for enumerated rights and call ouy other judges who do not. Thank you for your efforts.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    So basically in VA anyone over 18 without other disqualifiers may purchase a pistol?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    What's really interesting isn't the immediate injunction decision itself, but the fact the court seems to be categorically rejecting the "2A Two-Step", positing that blind acceptance by courts of "public safety" arguments turns it into defacto rational basis. See the 12th paragraph of Section 1.A. "Intermediate Scrutiny has resulted in opinions void of historical justifications."

This bodes well for challenges in VA state courts to any potential Northam AWB or other draconian changes to state 2A law.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    So basically in VA anyone over 18 without other disqualifiers may purchase a pistol?

I think this only applies to VA law which would be private face to face sale between VA residents. Federal law would still prevent purchase from a dealer or a non-VA resident.

I'm sure this gets appealed. I'm not sure if there's another intermediate court or this goes to the VA supreme court. If the VA Supremes affirm this decision, it does set up an odd conflict. In essence the opinion would split with the 5th Circuit NRA v. BATFE (18-21 YO purchase of handguns), although the state court can't overturn Federal law. But since this is a 2A case it would seem it can be appealed to SCOTUS.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I think this only applies to VA law which would be private face to face sale between VA residents. Federal law would still prevent purchase from a dealer or a non-VA resident.

I'm sure this gets appealed. I'm not sure if there's another intermediate court or this goes to the VA supreme court. If the VA Supremes affirm this decision, it does set up an odd conflict. In essence the opinion would split with the 5th Circuit NRA v. BATFE (18-21 YO purchase of handguns), although the state court can't overturn Federal law. But since this is a 2A case it would seem it can be appealed to SCOTUS.

No conflict as the court was interpreting state constitutional (albeit by incorporating Heller, but ultimately it was still the state constitution). State courts are the ultimate arbiters of their own law. The Fifth Circuit was apply the federal constitution and adjudicating the constitutionality of a federal law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom