• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GAFrank

Jul 13, 2020
    Good morning everyone,

I tried searching and I found threads that had similar information but was looking for a more direct question.

My wife will be visiting her parents in Maryland this week and will be traveling from south Georgia. She has a Georgia carry permit (which I know that MD does not recognize but all the states she will be passing through to get to MD do recognize it).

Due to the reasons of her travel, there is a chance that she may be staying there for an extended period of time (months possibly).

Additional information, the house she will be staying at has a room that is "hers", she does receive mail, etc there, a key to the house, etc.

For the purpose of her travel, does this count as a "bona fide residence" where she could stop before entering the state, unload the firearm, place it in a locked container in the hatch of her car and continue safely to the house, where she would remove the pistol from the car into the house where it would remain until she left the state or she officially moves to Maryland and registers the firearm?

The goal is I want her to have her carry pistol with her, loaded as normal, until such time as she can't (being in Maryland) and for her future return trip. If she cannot have the pistol at all in Maryland, then she would have to leave it here in Georgia.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    There's nothing in the law that says an out of state resident cannot have a firearm where they're staying.
    And don't listen to the ******** someone will eventually post saying that a non resident cannot use deadly force in a house that isn't theirs.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    ...For the purpose of her travel, does this count as a "bona fide residence" where she could stop before entering the state, unload the firearm, place it in a locked(Not necessary) container in the hatch of her car and continue safely to the house, where she would remove the pistol from the car into the house where it would remain until she left the state or she officially moves to Maryland and registers the firearm?...

Above is correct... for the most part... Locked is not necessary, however, firearm and ammo must be separated and not within reach. Loaded mags are fine as long as they are not in the handgun. A temporary residence qualifies as your home. I'm sure someone better at finding statute will be along shortly with a quote...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For MD, it does not need to be in a locked container, just enclosed case or holster.

If no trunk, under FOPA either the firearm OR the ammo must be in a locked case.

GAFrank

Jul 13, 2020
    For MD, it does not need to be in a locked container, just enclosed case or holster.

If no trunk, under FOPA either the firearm OR the ammo must be in a locked case.

Its a hatchback so I'm going to guess that it doesn't count as a "trunk"

GAFrank

Jul 13, 2020
    Welcome to MDS. Do you shoot or just your wife?

We both shoot, I used to do CAS and very poorly did 3-gun when I used to live in TN/PA. I originally asked over on PAFOA because I figured alot of people there would come into MD and they pointed me here to bother y'all.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Locked isn't a requirement for MD, but I believe gun or ammo locked is a requirement to be covered under the firearm owners protection act, but that would only apply for states other than the origin and destination.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    FWIW: I just did 1st class of 2 for W&C permit (which I think makes me a junior attorney). We covered transportation in MD. Gun must be in an enclosed case and unloaded. The gun in an enclosed case can be in something like a range bag with loaded magazines...according to my instructor who seemed knowledgeable. It should be in your trunk or out of reach. I'm sure if I misheard, I'll be corrected.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Its a hatchback so I'm going to guess that it doesn't count as a "trunk"

Yes, but you don't need to meet FOPA within MD. But I am not sure about VA requirements on transport.

FOPA covers you in IN BETWEEN states. Technically does not apply in state of departure and state of arrival. The purpose was to make it legal to carry a handgun from PA or further south or west, to New England. Previously, you had to meet NJ or NY requirements, which required a state permit to even possess the firearm.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Nothing in MD law about being in trunk or out of reach.

Just case or enclosed holster. And unloaded, as no rounds in the firearm.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Yes, but you don't need to meet FOPA within MD. But I am not sure about VA requirements on transport.

FOPA covers you in IN BETWEEN states. Technically does not apply in state of departure and state of arrival. The purpose was to make it legal to carry a handgun from PA or further south or west, to New England. Previously, you had to meet NJ or NY requirements, which required a state permit to even possess the firearm.

That's actually incorrect. FOPA covers you for TRANSPORT on your interstate trip from the "place" it is legal for you to possess and carry to the "place" (in another state) that it is legal for you to possess and carry. Transport in full compliance with FOPA for the entire trip if you want to preserve the FOPA affirmative defense. You are quite correct that FOPA does not apply at all to purely intrastate travel where the point of origin and the destination are both in the same state.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That's actually incorrect. FOPA covers you for TRANSPORT on your interstate trip from the "place" it is legal for you to possess and carry to the "place" (in another state) that it is legal for you to possess and carry. Transport in full compliance with FOPA for the entire trip if you want to preserve the FOPA affirmative defense. You are quite correct that FOPA does not apply at all to purely intrastate travel where the point of origin and the destination are both in the same state.

OK, thanks.

More of the point I was trying to make was, from VA to MD, you can transport in a manner that is legal in both states and are fine.

FOPA was more for the case of transiting a firearm unfriendly state between two places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom