• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    The TL;DR (too long, didn’t read) version: even sellers with fantastic feedback can screw you and GunBroker doesn’t care.

I’ve been trying to pick up an LCP II for awhile. I wanted to wait for the pandemic panic buying to subside, but it didn’t look like things were getting any better so I tried ordering one at South Caroll or United. Unfortunately, their distributors sold out too quickly so I decided to try online ordering and shipping to an FFL per United’s suggestion.

I researched GunBroker a bunch and found a seller who was a “Top 100” seller, had 1400+ feedback with an A+ rating and didn’t charge CC fees. They also allowed you to do checkout through GunBroker’s website. It seemed like a safe bet.... but it wasn’t.

I contacted the seller twice to check on the order (once to see if they needed me to contact my FFL and once after their quoted delivery time had passed) paid immediately after placing the order and United quickly sent them the FFL info. Despite this, more than two weeks after I placed the order the seller filed a nonpaying buyer claim against me and stops responding to messages. I contact GunBroker and give them copies of all correspondence, a screenshot of my CC transaction, and a screenshot from my GunBroker order screen that clearly shows: (1) I placed the order; (2) I paid immediately; (3) FFL info was received; (4) The item was never shipped.

After the seller filed a nonpaying buyer claim I disputed it and filed a fraud claim against them. It’s been 5 days and GunBroker doesn’t appear to be doing anything. Based on the info on their website and the limited info they’ve communicated to me they won’t do anything to sanction the seller (they seem to think feedback is sufficient to police sellers) and won’t issue me a refund until at least 30 days have passed from the time I initiated the claim and even then wouldn’t do it unless my credit card company does not refund the amount based on a disputed charge.

What a cluster****. The seller is getting more negative feedback recently, and it appears that they list firearms for sale that they don’t actually have in stock but think they can order, and then ghost buyers if they aren’t able to fulfill an order.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Man, this makes my blood boil ... I hope you’re made right (despite the sheer and utter aggravation)

(Later edit: Not that it is of any use in this situation (so, fwiw) we got AmEx cards a couple years back because of the pretty juicy cash back % they offer. But, it wasn’t until I needed some backup with a non-responding online merchant that I learned just how incredible AmEx customer service can be; they were like pit bulls and refunded my money! Been several years now and I’ve come to recognize, while a lot of merchants sincerely disfavor the % cut credits cards take - and iirc AmEx takes a larger cut than the rest - no doubt in my mind the reason some of the less savory online merchants won’t allow purchases via AmEx is because they know AmEx WILL access their bank accounts when the merchant is caught red-handed.)

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    For as good as Gunbroker might be for finding what you want, Gunbroker is pretty infamous for not following up on complaints. It could also be due to current events they're overwhelmed...just a possibility.

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    For as good as Gunbroker might be for finding what you want, Gunbroker is pretty infamous for not following up on complaints. It could also be due to current events they're overwhelmed...just a possibility.

Yeh, I mean I was fine waiting for awhile if the seller was overwhelmed, but when they filed the nonpaying buyer complaint and I saw recent feedback I knew what the deal was.

Gunbroker has been quick to respond, it’s just that their process for resolving these issues is garbage. Glad I paid with a credit card, who knows how long it would take if it was a usps money order or if I would even be able to get a refund.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    ...Glad I paid with a credit card, who knows how long it would take if it was a usps money order or if I would even be able to get a refund.

^^^This. In addition to hoping you’re made whole sooner than later, who knows how many MDS readers may be spared a similar experience, as a result of this thread.

And, until OrigMexBob mentioned it, I never thought about how all the new gun buying public (“woke” LibTards, etc.) might be effecting online sales engines - they are likely lambs up for mass slaughter by some of the unscrupulous online vendors :sad20:

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    ^^^This. In addition to hoping you’re made whole sooner than later, who knows how many MDS readers may be spared a similar experience, as a result of this thread.

And, until OrigMexBob mentioned it, I never thought about how all the new gun buying public (“woke” LibTards, etc.) might be effecting online sales engines - they are likely lambs up for mass slaughter by some of the unscrupulous online vendors :sad20:

Hah I’m a liberal but no offense taken. Wife and I got our HQLs back in November before all this craziness started. A lot of our friends are warming to the 2A due to recent events tho.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I suspect Gunbroker is doing record amounts of business like everyone else in the firearms industry. Consequently they are also having record numbers of sale disputes and have the same number of employees dealing with resolution.

Gunbroker has no immediate way to know which one of you is telling the truth. Screenshots can be faked and your seller is willing to lie. Some employee has to go in and research the transaction details to confirm your screenshots with the database record. It is not exactly an open and closed case.

honukane

Aug 15, 2012
    Southern Maryland-istan
    I had an issue with a highly rated seller on GB inadvertently selling a stolen firearm. It had apparently been cleared their local police.
    The MSP stopped the transfer from my local FFL to me, and took possession of the pistol.
    Upon notifying the seller of the issue, they told me that the problem was between me and the various police... That it was MY problem (as in - I get to eat the loss).
    I reported it to GB, but also filed with my CC company. The CC immediately recovered the $, much to the chagrin of the seller.
    The seller ended up eating the loss, not me. However GB never engaged in the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom