• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I got a Sodastream recently. I realized that as much as I say I can give up Coke/Dr. Pepper, it’s easier said than done. I already brew my own beer, so now I can make all of my drinks in-house by just stocking up supplies.

At the least, I figured I could use lemonade mix and make a sparkling lemonade.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Free shipping at MRE Depot with the code

Attachments

• 439B4407-AA61-4823-B2AE-13A6EF488345.jpg
      439B4407-AA61-4823-B2AE-13A6EF488345.jpg
      49.4 KB · Views: 432

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    A case of #4 buckshot from SGAmmo that came today.
    Then I loaded up 2 belts I bought years ago with 15 rds of 00 buck and 10 rds of #4 buck each. One is now hanging with each Police Magnun "just in case".

Attachments

• 20200620_134413.jpg
      20200620_134413.jpg
      127.6 KB · Views: 408

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    The good Lord willing, it will NEVER be needed.
    Amen.

Just got:

Two banana chips
    Five butter powder
    Six grapes
    Six peas
    Six ground beef

All freeze dried in #10 cans.

Then four pounds of tomato powder

200 more Squincher hydration mix sticks

Tastle instant coffee...1200 servings worth.

Then my LDS Preparedness manual

Almost forgot 2K 7.62x39

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Amen.

Just got:

Two banana chips
    Five butter powder
    Six grapes
    Six peas
    Six ground beef

Almost forgot 2K 7.62x39

You forgot the partridge in a pear tree

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    5 two packs of ribs lol

Attachments

• 5D5D5145-C6CD-4B2B-915D-2AF592AB1A3B.jpg
      5D5D5145-C6CD-4B2B-915D-2AF592AB1A3B.jpg
      132.1 KB · Views: 306

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Amen.

Just got:

Two banana chips
    Five butter powder
    Six grapes
    Six peas
    Six ground beef

Almost forgot 2K 7.62x39

I'm starting to think that hill of yours us getting lower in elevation with each delivery made to your place. All that weight you keep piling on top of it....

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I'm starting to think that hill of yours us getting lower in elevation with each delivery made to your place. All that weight you keep piling on top of it....
    Ain’t nobody here gonna miss any meals...that’s for sure.

They say they’re among the oldest mountains in the world. I don’t expect my minor contribution will ding em too bad.

Rule of thumb is the slab ain’t broke yet. I have heard some grinding noises late at night but I think that’s the pup with an elk antler..

;-)

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    • I got a case of Beam. Sadly, it's almost gone as I've had a great deal of help over the last 3 months.
    • We had broken out the Berkey water filter right after New Year's. Having no idea what was coming, just figured it had spent years waiting for a SHTF scenario and we might as wel use it every day.
    • When I saw the stores being drained of "necessities", I started thinking ahead of what people were currently buying. I was buying up dry goods that they were still skipping for now but would be, themselves, buying as the shortages wore on. I have a good supply of beans, rice, honey, salt, flour (yeah, I go through a half-ton a week), yeast, cryovac chicken, dried pasta, canned tomatoes, dried herbs etc.
    • Resupplied our laying flock.
    • Added a few hives to our apiary.
    • Got a few cases of motor oil.
    • Bought a few extra bottles of Stabil, gas and diesel. Filled up every can I have.
    • Bought 12 lbs of Microgreens seeds.
    • Bought plenty of shelf-stable dry and wet dog food.
    • Had a case of N95 masks (learned my lesson from 9/11).
    • Picked up a couple hundred AA and AAA batteries.

2ndCharter

MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Where did you get them from?

https://www.trueleafmarket.com/collections/micro-greens-planting-seed

I was buying a tray a week from a local grower and they bailed on me, no notice, the first week of the quarantine. Literally, no calls, no emails like "hey, we are concerned for our health and will be suspending operations" nothing. When I finally got in touch with them, they insulted me. That's how you permanently lose a customer.

So being a MD Master Gardener who focused on organic food, I spun up my own operation within a week. I needed something as I had a few menu items dependent upon them. It took another 10 days or so for my first crop but since, I've been rolling along... at 1/8 th the cost.

It's been a fun project. Made a few mistakes, will probably make a few more but it isn't rocket science.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    • I got a case of Beam. Sadly, it's almost gone as I've had a great deal of help over the last 3 months.
    • We had broken out the Berkey water filter right after New Year's. Having no idea what was coming, just figured it had spent years waiting for a SHTF scenario and we might as wel use it every day.
    • When I saw the stores being drained of "necessities", I started thinking ahead of what people were currently buying. I was buying up dry goods that they were still skipping for now but would be, themselves, buying as the shortages wore on. I have a good supply of beans, rice, honey, salt, flour (yeah, I go through a half-ton a week), yeast, cryovac chicken, dried pasta, canned tomatoes, dried herbs etc.
    • Resupplied our laying flock.
    • Added a few hives to our apiary.
    • Got a few cases of motor oil.
    • Bought a few extra bottles of Stabil, gas and diesel. Filled up every can I have.
    • Bought 12 lbs of Microgreens seeds.
    • Bought plenty of shelf-stable dry and wet dog food.
    • Had a case of N95 masks (learned my lesson from 9/11).
    • Picked up a couple hundred AA and AAA batteries.
    What do you call shelf stable dry dog food??

2ndCharter

MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    What do you call shelf stable dry dog food??

Look at the best buy dates. Some of the dry food contain oils/binders/fillers that will go rancid. I've found, anecdotally, that the more "complete" or "nutritious" a dry food is promoted to be, the less time it will last.

I treat dry food as more of a filler for a SHTF time and put the nutrients and money into canned wet food. I don't buy crap for dry, just don't put the emphasis on it being a complete food.

I think you'll typically see 3-6 month shelf life regardless but some are out beyond that. I then open it up, drop it in 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids and a couple of 500cc oxy absorbers. I've only got about a 6 month supply but if that every starts to look shaky, I'll extend that out and buy a boatload of wet food.

Edit: I should point out that I just have a single, 40 lb, beagle-lab mix. Very valuable dog in what he brings to the table. He's a great hunter, great watchdog and will defend to the death anyone in our house.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Look at the best buy dates. Some of the dry food contain oils/binders/fillers that will go rancid. I've found, anecdotally, that the more "complete" or "nutritious" a dry food is promoted to be, the less time it will last.

I treat dry food as more of a filler for a SHTF time and put the nutrients and money into canned wet food. I don't buy crap for dry, just don't put the emphasis on it being a complete food.

I think you'll typically see 3-6 month shelf life regardless but some are out beyond that. I then open it up, drop it in 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids and a couple of 500cc oxy absorbers. I've only got about a 6 month supply but if that every starts to look shaky, I'll extend that out and buy a boatload of wet food.

Edit: I should point out that I just have a single, 40 lb, beagle-lab mix. Very valuable dog in what he brings to the table. He's a great hunter, great watchdog and will defend to the death anyone in our house.
    Copy all.

I’m feeding four. About 300#s of dogs.

Thought maybe one of my MDS kin had broken the code...

Got 150 cans and 500#$ of dry. I don’t think there’s any silver bullet for long term dog food in big portions.

Figuring out consumption rates and a solid on hand supply rotation seems to be the affordable route for now. 5# buckets, even with oxyzorbers, are workable for single and small dogs.

I think my buddy has struck a key. Lots of chickens and rabbits. The slaughter leavings go to the dogs and an occasional egg will help things along. Wild game, when taken can help too.

I don’t plan to have my three oldest around forever as they are all three already pushing their envelope age wise. In a SHTF bad scenario, they might end up helping each other if you know what I mean.

I might also consider adding long pork to their diet. Hey, if things are tight, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia

I was buying a tray a week from a local grower and they bailed on me, no notice, the first week of the quarantine. Literally, no calls, no emails like "hey, we are concerned for our health and will be suspending operations" nothing. When I finally got in touch with them, they insulted me. That's how you permanently lose a customer.

So being a MD Master Gardener who focused on organic food, I spun up my own operation within a week. I needed something as I had a few menu items dependent upon them. It took another 10 days or so for my first crop but since, I've been rolling along... at 1/8 th the cost.

It's been a fun project. Made a few mistakes, will probably make a few more but it isn't rocket science.

Thank you so much. I wasn’t aware of them. We do the method described in this book fall, winter and spring until we get too much from the garden. I had been buying my seeds from Johnny’s Seeds but they have been out of stock of almost everything.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC

Ok so I'm intrigued. What would I start with that would be a salad type green? I think my kids would enjoy this. Plus how much would you buy for say 30 salads? I'm guessing you "harvest" with a pair of kitchen scissors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom