• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Bill: HB1261Weapon Crimes - Assault Long Guns and Copycat Weapons [BILL TEXT PDF]
    Sponsors: Speaker and Delegates Atterbeary and Luedtke
    Hearing: Not scheduled yet
    Status: WITHDRAWN - In the House - Unfavorable Report by Judiciary
    Notes:

Summary:

Altering the definition of "copycat weapon" applicable to certain criminal prohibitions relating to assault weapons; requiring a certain person who lawfully possessed a certain firearm before October 1, 2020, to register the firearm with the Department of State Police on or before January 1, 2021; providing that a person who lawfully possessed a certain firearm before a certain date and who voluntarily registers the firearm on or after a certain date and before a certain date is not subject to certain criminal penalties; etc.

BILL TEXT (pdf) IS HERE

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No use speculating until the text is up...

I think we can take a good damn guess though. Guess everyone needs to register now or face penalty of law.

Should we bother mentioning to MGA that CT and NY compliance rates hover somewhere between 20% and 10% 7 years after their mandatory registration laws?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    And it's off to the races on panic buying. Good times.

Concur that the synopsis reads like registration is now going to be a thing. The very first sentence is more worrisome - are they expanding out the copycat definition? I could guess what they're targeting (hello braced pistols!), but need text to be sure.

ETA: the fact that this one didn't come out the gate as cross-filed is at least some good news - it means it's less of a coordinated attack then some of the other bills

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I should have clarified. If we already purchased in Maryland with all the paperwork, will there be additional paperwork?

I am sure. Mine were all purchased in MD on a 77r. But I bet I’ll need to do it again. And probably pay for the privilege.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Willing to bet this one doesn't go very far due to the strain it would place on the MSP alone.
    Maybe. Like I said, not being cross-filed is indicative that this may not be a coordinated, thought-out effort. We've traditionally had good success stopping those.

Rabu Rabu

Operatoroperatoroperator
    Sep 10, 2012
    Cambridge, MD
    Maybe. Like I said, not being cross-filed is indicative that this may not be a coordinated, thought-out effort. We've traditionally had good success stopping those.

True that. Here to fight regardless - well as much as I can from the deep red eastern shore anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom