• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CelticBiggie

Mar 26, 2016
    following. been trying to find a decent but cheapish safe for the new house.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Fire rating I’m not so much worried about. It will be in a room in the basement and even if a fire did start in the basement The closed door and the drywall with buy it some time. I’d rather it be waterproof because if the house does burn, by the time the local vol company gets there they will just be dumping thousands of gallons of water on it.

If you are serious about it being waterproof, very very few are. Like 95 percent or more are not. I looked into it years ago, and couldn’t find any that where waterproof. I think now, liberty makes some that are waterproof rated, but they are not a secure as a lot of better brands. It’s all in what you think is the best protection for you. If you are more worried about water, or live in a area the floods, then leaving it on a pallet, gives you that extra room, before the water gets in the safe. On the flip side, you can’t bolt it to the floor, making it easier for someone to knock it over, and get into it easier.

Lots, of things to think about.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    I bought a Liberty Colonial Safe when I moved to my house about 8 years ago. I got the 30 gun size, always wished I went with a bigger one, but it was as big as would fit thru my doorway at the time. I think I have 4 shotguns and 9 rifles in it and it's pretty much full. Mine has so you can put 3 rows deep, but if you have a scope gun that pretty much takes up the row it is on and the row behind it as well. I have my divided up so that on my left side I have shotguns out front and shelves behind them with ammo, pictures, values, etc. I made more shelves from plywood and made them shallower so I could put the shotguns in the front. The right side the scope guns I use often and behind them is the guns I pretty much never use. The top portion about the guns I store more valuables, etc. I ended up buying it online and had it deliver to my house and left at the front door. Wasn't real fun moving into place, so it is definitely worth paying the fee to have them put it in the location you want it to be. At the time I didn't have much money, but didn't want a black safe, wanted another color. Liberty has plenty of color/size options and they are a well built safe.

Blasting

Feb 12, 2020
    If you have the time.
    Might want to check for used safes on the typical online selling sites and check with local safe companies, as in service and moving, not just retail safe companies. You might find a serious safe like a Mosler or a TL rated safe for the same price range as one might spend on a typical gun safe.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I have a Fort Knox and a Zanotti. I like them both. I need to get one more. Thinking about Sturdy but leaning toward a smaller Zanotti because it has to go upstairs.

I have a Zanotti, too, and am very satisfied with it. And I'll be even happier with it when I finally get to move out of MD and can easily disassemble my safe to move with me.:party29:

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    Used commercial safes from craigslist are great. Lots of jewelers and such sell them for scrap value. The problem is moving them, if you dont have equipment to move it safely, you are going to end up paying decent money for a professional safe mover. TL-15 and TL-30 rated safes are crazy heavy. For something in the 30 gun range is going to be over 1000lbs, it is so heavy you will not be able to get enough guys around it to manhandle it.

I have one that I got for free, it is staying with the house :). My next house I am getting a sturdy safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom