• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    1. The largest smallmouth I ever caught - Jan. 28, 1999,
    canoed below Violettes lock, set up shop on an island and a minnow caught this huge smallie.
    2. A father was canoeing in BeaverDam Reservoir, near Ashburn, my friend knew him.
    No PFD. The dog and the kid (PFD) swam to shore. Father drowned.
    Outside temp was 70 degrees - water was about 45.
    3. The lady last year jumping in the canoe to get a ball during super windy conditions off of South River (?) last year.
    4. If you were that lady, in high winds, alone in a canoe, -
    MOVE UP. Move the weight forward, the wind whips your
    stern around a bit, but that is how to do it. Weight forward, bow into wind, you will be switching paddling sides alot.
    5. Oct.9 like 1992 or so. Friend and I paddled from Brunswick to Point of Rocks and listened to a Redskins game on a portable radio.
    When we got out there was a family who had tipped over and were soaking wet and
    really cold. I can't remember helping them.
    6. 1996 ish -I pulled my canoe out at Harper's Ferry and a FAMILY is soaking wet, in the rain, at the pullout. September time frame - getting toward night -
    young children with BLUE LIPS - they LOST THEIR KEYS!!
    They were Wet and Freezing. The parents said "No" to my pushing the kids in the car - until they realized they were screwed over, freezing and I was the lifeline. I fired up my car and the heat and piled them all in there..
    tied the canoe to the top, and drove them home.

5. Don't Be the Hero -
    Once young and almost dumb I came to the bottom of the Shenandoah Staircase and I asked other boaters "How is the Potomac?"
    You see, I parked near that gas station/ fireworks place river right.
    They said the Potomac was running high. I was worried.
    Carrying and walking all that way was not happening - so
    I got down to the bottom of the Staircase, the end of the Shenandoah as it meets the Potomac, indeed, was running super fast -
    I was freaked out, did the proper thing, Front Ferry to the Maryland Shore, then front ferry back over the river again over to the bridge area where my car was parked.
    I was solo, alone, and chose the correct, safe way to GTFO.
    You see, the shorter way was simply to sneak on river right, after all, my car was on that side - HOWEVER -
    my experience was on the far side, been through all the whitewater, surfed Whitehorse Rapid, etc., on that side. So I know that side.
    River right is usually shallow, so I have no idea of that side.

6. Wear your PFD. Wear your PFD.

7. Wear your PFD.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****Admittedly, these are indeed deep thoughts. My takeaway from all of this is to apparently wear your PFD over another PFD in #6, and then yet another PFD over the other two in #6, as written in #7? Seems sort of reasonable I guess in case one of the three you are wearing doesn't work, or you need to quickly pass one or two of the three to others nearby who didn't heed the original PFD recommendation.

Thank you for the PSA on the PFD's. Drowning is indeed one of my greatest fears in terms of dying - at about the same level as my fear of being shot to death by an inferior grade AR platform like a PSA or Del-Ton, instead of something nicer like a pre-2013 Noveske, or current LaRue or LWRC. I would rather live than be shot dead by an improperly assembled or spec'd AR.

I'm impressed by this PSA, as it came out before 9pm. Safety should never take a back seat in a canoe, nor anywhere else!

:goodpost:

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Drowning is indeed one of my greatest fears in terms of dying - at about the same level as my fear of being shot to death by an inferior grade AR platform like a PSA or Del-Ton,
    That is funny, I have a Del-Ton lower ...:)

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    8. I forgot, I was to talking to a guy as we looked over Great Falls in MD, we talked about canoeing, and how he was a Trip Leader and one guy died due to no PFD.
    My mouth was agape.
    is to apparently wear your PFD over another PFD in
    you think you are funny - you should get the Italian sub at Gemelli's and get back to me - the bread is killer....

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Sage advice. I always take my PFD with me when hitting the river.

iu

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    My biggest smallmouth ever was caught is the spillway just AFTER that very same Beaverdam Reservoir that becomes Beaverdam & Goose Creek and then flows adjacent to the old Goose Creek golf course toward the Potomac. I used to wade fish that section of water all Summer long throughout my misspent youth catching big smallies on 3/16oz Rebel Craw crankbaits and 4" wacky-rigged creme worms. :)

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    If ya'll are experienced paddlers I'm sure you already know all this but typing it up to spread the water safety gospel. Also have a dunk kit at the ready and paddle with friends when the water + temp equation aren't above 120F.

Dunk kit is the following in a dry bag: Sleeping bag, a tarp, towels to dry someone off, EMT shears to cut iced over clothes, zippers and shoelaces, a ton of chemical hand warmers, empty water bottles that don't leak, old clean socks, and a cheap backpacking stove with a pot. A Jetboil of other fast stove is just the ticket for this sort of thing.

procedure: Lay the tarp on the ground with everything else on it, strip and dry the hypothermia victim and stuff them in the sleeping bag, throw a bunch hand warmers in the bag, wrap the tarp around the bag like a burrito, start boiling water, when water is boiled put it in the bottles and cover the bottles with socks and put them in the sleeping bag with the person. If they can, doing sit ups while in the sleeping bag makes them warmer also.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    No thanks, this was my front yard Christmas... it looked COLD! Water level down, not worth fishing ..... to me for now.

Attachments

• IMG_4256.jpg
      IMG_4256.jpg
      47 KB · Views: 271
    • IMG_4254.jpg
      IMG_4254.jpg
      121 KB · Views: 266

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Dunk kit is the following in a dry bag: Sleeping bag, a tarp, towels to dry someone off, EMT shears to cut iced over clothes, zippers and shoelaces, a ton of chemical hand warmers, empty water bottles that don't leak, old clean socks, and a cheap backpacking stove with a pot. A Jetboil of other fast stove is just the ticket for this sort of thing.

procedure: Lay the tarp on the ground with everything else on it, strip and dry the hypothermia victim and stuff them in the sleeping bag, throw a bunch hand warmers in the bag, wrap the tarp around the bag like a burrito, start boiling water, when water is boiled put it in the bottles and cover the bottles with socks and put them in the sleeping bag with the person. If they can, doing sit ups while in the sleeping bag makes them warmer also.

I can see that on an overnight or weeklong passage. Good advice. I like the burrito part! I would think legs raised as well??
    Then rub the crap out of the feet..
    Hot thermos of soup will help alot!! Burritos and soup!

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    My biggest smallmouth ever was caught is the spillway just AFTER that very same Beaverdam Reservoir that becomes Beaverdam & Goose Creek and then flows adjacent to the old Goose Creek golf course toward the Potomac
    WHAT MONTH?
    Isn't that whole stretch closed now?

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    One of my memorable canoe trips on the Monacacy - putting in at the
    Rte. 28 Bridge - at 5 am - deer hunting, snowing, I have pics I need to find.
    Canoed down, sat in a tree, saw nothing, canoed back.
    Beautiful snowy perfect canoe trip.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    James, looks like a nice river, what's the name of it?

Clinch River near Natural Tunnel in SW Virginia. Fresh water is new to me, smallmouth, cats, lousy ass sucker fish and leather like turtles have been my catch so far. Bought lil boat with 1 hp electric sold when it wouldn't go upstream, need flat bottom with about a 3 - 5 hp motor to find holes.

Fair amount of deer, few bear and turkey and resident geese. Hillwilly People are incredible.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Cold water kills boys. I hunt from a kayak and sometimes spring fishing. I use waste waders and a dry top. Always have my PFD under my jacket.

Learn to bite down first if you're going in the water. The Involuntary gasp will turn even an experienced kayaker or canoeist into a panic. Make sure you have protective clothing and a way to save yourself. Most people have no idea how shocking water this cold is to your body!!

joma352

Jan 4, 2018
    Lower Eastern Shore
    When I worked for the park service we had to follow the rule of 120. The temperature of the water and air had to add up to 120 before we were allowed to run and canoe trips. Everyone always wore PFDs no matter what.

Saying that I just picked up a canoe I'm gonna restore a little bit and I doubt I'll wait for this 120 rule to test it out...

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    WHAT MONTH?
    Isn't that whole stretch closed now?

Pretty much all Summer long. I'm a Georgia boy by birth so the water always feels cold to me. We used to put in near the Goose Creek spillway to fish with the current or by the Goose Creek golf club to wade upstream against it. The last time I was in that area, it was to play golf at that golf club(that I believe is now closed) which was many years ago now.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Ummm,
    If you go on the water in cold weather I strongly suggest a neoprene suit of some sort. They make them for paddling in a vest configuration. I have a 3mm suit, called a skin, for diving and have worn that. Very comfy and if, IF, you go in it might save you. Also goes without saying, every time you are on the water, wear your pdf.
    Saying all that I like warm weather for fishing. You know - above 35. :D

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Some damned good advice here.

Cold water and canoes (kayaks included) don’t mix UNLESS you are very experienced, young and wear an approved, appropriate PFD religiously...every time, without fail.

OTOH, if you prefer to be a statistic AND have a good will, then by all means...sally forth with abandon.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    1. The largest smallmouth I ever caught - Jan. 28, 1999,
    canoed below Violettes lock, set up shop on an island and a minnow caught this huge smallie.
    2. A father was canoeing in BeaverDam Reservoir, near Ashburn, my friend knew him.
    No PFD. The dog and the kid (PFD) swam to shore. Father drowned.
    Outside temp was 70 degrees - water was about 45.
    3. The lady last year jumping in the canoe to get a ball during super windy conditions off of South River (?) last year.
    4. If you were that lady, in high winds, alone in a canoe, -
    MOVE UP. Move the weight forward, the wind whips your
    stern around a bit, but that is how to do it. Weight forward, bow into wind, you will be switching paddling sides alot.
    5. Oct.9 like 1992 or so. Friend and I paddled from Brunswick to Point of Rocks and listened to a Redskins game on a portable radio.
    When we got out there was a family who had tipped over and were soaking wet and
    really cold. I can't remember helping them.
    6. 1996 ish -I pulled my canoe out at Harper's Ferry and a FAMILY is soaking wet, in the rain, at the pullout. September time frame - getting toward night -
    young children with BLUE LIPS - they LOST THEIR KEYS!!
    They were Wet and Freezing. The parents said "No" to my pushing the kids in the car - until they realized they were screwed over, freezing and I was the lifeline. I fired up my car and the heat and piled them all in there..
    tied the canoe to the top, and drove them home.

5. Don't Be the Hero -
    Once young and almost dumb I came to the bottom of the Shenandoah Staircase and I asked other boaters "How is the Potomac?"
    You see, I parked near that gas station/ fireworks place river right.
    They said the Potomac was running high. I was worried.
    Carrying and walking all that way was not happening - so
    I got down to the bottom of the Staircase, the end of the Shenandoah as it meets the Potomac, indeed, was running super fast -
    I was freaked out, did the proper thing, Front Ferry to the Maryland Shore, then front ferry back over the river again over to the bridge area where my car was parked.
    I was solo, alone, and chose the correct, safe way to GTFO.
    You see, the shorter way was simply to sneak on river right, after all, my car was on that side - HOWEVER -
    my experience was on the far side, been through all the whitewater, surfed Whitehorse Rapid, etc., on that side. So I know that side.
    River right is usually shallow, so I have no idea of that side.

6. Wear your PFD. Wear your PFD.

7. Wear your PFD.

Marko, if you or anyone else would like there is a launch about 12 miles upstream from me and another about 1 mile down river. If you like launch up river, paddle the 13 or so miles down to the public launch or in front of my house, throw your canoe in the back of my truck and I'll take you back to your truck. That is once I get the TRUMP vaccine.
    There is a dive motel north in Duffield maybe 10 miles from your launch point. There are small rapids a few hundred yards past me and maybe more along the trek, might be fun for you. It's a pretty popular canoeing spot so I doubt you would have any problems.

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    I had a brother-in-law who flipped a canoe and got his foot jammed in the rocks right under the Rt340 bridge into Harpers Ferry one early spring. Took the river rescue crew some time to get him free, he spent the night in a hospital due to hypothermia

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom