• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    Squeezed in one last P.38 on New Year's Eve to close out 2020. Overall from a collecting standpoint it was a pretty good year, despite a couple of epic fails (RIA "what was I thinking?" bids) I was able to find some "holy grail" guns. This isn't one of them - but still interesting :) This P38 is a mismatch but most likely a last-ditch effort made up of left-over/spare parts. The missing proofs are indicative of parts that were never assembled into a production gun and shipped, so that greatly reduces the chances this is a Bubba or Russian Capture post-war mix-master. The finish is original on all the parts too which is also a good indication. There are some other little odds and ends that point to a last ditch.

Attachments

• DSC_1965.JPG
      DSC_1965.JPG
      70.8 KB · Views: 265
    • DSC_1966.JPG
      DSC_1966.JPG
      62.2 KB · Views: 252

fiveloaves

Sep 9, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Looks good! I had a post war P38 but could not group consistently and through the P38 forums read that this is typical. Hope you get good groups from this fine specimen!

Jul 1, 2012
    Being a last-ditch there are some iffy parts and fitment. She's a safe queen :)
    Generally I don't shoot the WW2 P.38's anyway, due to risk of breaking the lock block or slide...

Attachments

• cracked slide.jpg
      cracked slide.jpg
      26.7 KB · Views: 211
    Jul 1, 2012
    Either a factory capture like the AC45 C/D blocks or something like the "Late date ac frame" guns that were put together from armorer's parts at some unknown location at the end of the war. Or it could simply be a fantasy piece someone put together after the war, but the unproofed frame and slide are very uncommon. The barrel is not common either, very late C block, 8816C. I've never seen a late Mod HP / Mod P38 unproofed frame before. The trigger guard stick eagle is pretty scarce too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom