• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlphabetSoup

Oct 28, 2019
    I drew one of the gunpowder state park, Hart-Miller Island blinds for the December 19th duck split. I'm hoping I can get an experienced family member to go as I'm totally new to duck hunting (plus he has decoys, etc) - but even if he comes, he's never been there.

Has anyone hunted there and is willing to answer some questions?

I've got a jon boat I'd plan on taking across from the nearby boat ramp, but have questions about water depth (wading for retrieval?), want to know if decoys are 100% required, etc.

If my partner falls thru might also be asking if anyone is interested in joining me.

I figure I might be a comedy of errors, but need to star somewhere.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    I drew one of the gunpowder state park, Hart-Miller Island blinds for the December 19th duck split. I'm hoping I can get an experienced family member to go as I'm totally new to duck hunting (plus he has decoys, etc) - but even if he comes, he's never been there.

Has anyone hunted there and is willing to answer some questions?

I've got a jon boat I'd plan on taking across from the nearby boat ramp, but have questions about water depth (wading for retrieval?), want to know if decoys are 100% required, etc.

If my partner falls thru might also be asking if anyone is interested in joining me.

I figure I might be a comedy of errors, but need to star somewhere.

How did you apply for this?

AlphabetSoup

Oct 28, 2019
    How did you apply for this?
    It's in the MD southern region public lands wma packet, when you sign up for the public lands permit (free) there are a variety of draws for some of the more popular public lands and days.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    It's in the MD southern region public lands wma packet, when you sign up for the public lands permit (free) there are a variety of draws for some of the more popular public lands and days.

OK I just signed up last week for my permit so I guess I was to late

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    We had a decent morning down at the swamp there wasn't a lot of birds flying this morning

Attachments

• 21080.jpg
      21080.jpg
      179.6 KB · Views: 249
    • 21078.jpg
      21078.jpg
      55.8 KB · Views: 241
    • 21082.jpg
      21082.jpg
      74.3 KB · Views: 245

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    We had a decent morning down at the swamp there wasn't a lot of birds flying this morning

I know a lot of duck hunters in MD and wherever you are is the best I've seen consistently year after year. We shot 4 Tuesday and the other guys up the road killed like 12 but it was all buffies and bluebills. You guys score some amazing puddle duck shoots for being in MD.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I know a lot of duck hunters in MD and wherever you are is the best I've seen consistently year after year. We shot 4 Tuesday and the other guys up the road killed like 12 but it was all buffies and bluebills. You guys score some amazing puddle duck shoots for being in MD.

Same here where I live. Many Bluebills and Buffleheads come into mouth of river near shore lines. Usually flocks of hundreds at least. A small John Boat with blind works fine.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I thank you all for the pics of your hunts and results. Congratulations on your results. Many woodies in the pics. I grew up on the water and enjoyed the pics. That was one huge Sitka deer also.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Went down to the honga with 2 of my kids. Not much flying but did limit out on red heads. My son got his first duck.

Attachments

• 21274.jpg
      21274.jpg
      136.7 KB · Views: 298
    • 21273.jpg
      21273.jpg
      155.3 KB · Views: 296

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Went down to the honga with 2 of my kids. Not much flying but did limit out on red heads. My son got his first duck.

Looking good as usual. Awesome your kid got his first. Unfortunately my oldest has zero interest in ducks, too wet, early and cold. We hunted 6 guys in 3 spots and the total was 2 geese today. Lots flying but zero wind and blue bird day was hard to work with.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    My son didn't at first and I didn't push it, but now he is gun-ho to get out. I am extremely lucky to have a friend that puts a lot of time and effort into getting us good places to hunt I just help out with the infrastructure and logistics.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Youngins and their pals went and shot some geese this morning and went out for ducks a little while ago.
    One of them had a stuck hull left over in old betsy so when I went out to polish the crud from the chamber I could hear a bunch of swans carrying on across the road.
    I didn't look but seemed kind of warm, was breezy.

They love to waterfowl hunt this time of year. The younger is known for calling both geese and ducks been making calls since he was a pup.
    Evidently him and his buddy had them right in.
    Ill be looking for those Fookstaas or at least for some comms soon after dark.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Rode the white caps and ice this morning which ended up paying off. My son’s girlfriend is officially a duck hunter.

Attachments

• 29B75DF0-A247-4BF2-B4DE-C7BE5FDBB953.jpg
      29B75DF0-A247-4BF2-B4DE-C7BE5FDBB953.jpg
      59.8 KB · Views: 225

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    ALWAYS remember to bring a paddle. Pull string broke right after I got done setting up. Ended up rowing halfway in and someone came by and towed me the rest.

Attachments

• PXL_20201223_120518828.jpg
      PXL_20201223_120518828.jpg
      164.4 KB · Views: 187
    • PXL_20201223_112111514.jpg
      PXL_20201223_112111514.jpg
      37.4 KB · Views: 188
    • PXL_20201223_153849037.PORTRAIT.jpg
      PXL_20201223_153849037.PORTRAIT.jpg
      64.7 KB · Views: 193

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    So how has the season been? Was talking to a guide and he said it’s been hard getting people on a good number of birds

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    ALWAYS remember to bring a paddle. Pull string broke right after I got done setting up. Ended up rowing halfway in and someone came by and towed me the rest.

Sometimes if you pop the cover off an outboard, on the flywheel it will have a notch cut in it to install a temp pull cord.
    I used to keep a plastic bag with a spare in it stowed up in front of the bow or in a float box.

Just make sure to wrap in the same direction the flywheel rotates. They will have a arrow indicating direction of turn near the timing marks. Its just a piece of pull cord with a handle and figure eight knot on the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom