• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So I was reading some of the articles posted. Am I correct in reading, you can hunt with a 22lr but not 22mag/want? I feel I have some wrong

I am not honestly clear. I had thought the change only applied to deer (so rimfire isn’t going to cut it). But I’ve some people say they’ve asked DNR and they’ve said 22lr (22 mag is also straight wall) is fine for hunting in former shotgun only areas like Patuxent state forest.

So...dunno.

Jd2020

Nov 20, 2020
    Queen Anne’s Co
    Remember to use common sense regardless of the law change. The 22 LR and 22 mag I doubt we’re intended in the change to straight wall cartridge. The change was made for deer hunting specifically. Just remember a 22 can miss a squirrel and go an awful long ways.

Sarfs1

Mar 20, 2020
    This is in fact legit in MD now in Shotgun counties and the 444 Marlin and 45/70 are allowed due to trajectory

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    In the hunting guide, SWC is only addressed in the section pertaining to deer.
    Statewide unless prohibited by certain properties or where archery ONLY is allowed the .22 is legal for small game. If in doubt call the property in question.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Just an interesting side note on the straight-walled cartridges. 44 mag is and would likely always be good... but some Midwesterners are miffed about other calibers, though. They approved these straight-walled hunting rules in states like Iowa a few years ago. Hunters bought a lot of larger calibers like 45/70 rifles, and this year, they took the 45/70 off of the list. Nothing like buying a new gun to go hunting with, based on rules, only to find you cannot hunt locally with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom