• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Well I'm breathing a sigh of relief after the postman delivered an auction acquisition that shipped in mid Dec and was seemingly stuck for over 2 weeks at the Capitol Heights postal hub. The item in question is a WW2 German import of a Spanish Llama Model 1 pistol chambered in 7.65mm.
    -I found it purely by accident while combing through an auction where I had just been out bid on a different lot for the umpteenth time in Dec. The thing that caught my eye at first was the "GC" or Spanish Guardia Civil mark.
    -Then looking closer I saw the money shot: a GECO import mark. I've been looking for an Astra 200 with this mark, one of a small run imported by German distributor Gustav Genschow & Co (who are still in business as an ammo distributor) for the German Army. Seeing that mark triggered a faint memory of a discussion with somd_mustangs about Llama .32 pistol imports. So I saddled up Google and had the definitive answer in seconds. Yup, this imported by GECO in 1943 and sold to German "civilians". Considering the strict gun control that the Nazi government had it's safe to assume these would have been sold to party members, someone with the clout to get permission to purchase. As such they were never issued by the German military like Astras and Stars.
    -Whittington has the qty. of the Model 1 in both 7.65mm and 9mm short (crazy rare in .380) imported at approx 1,000 but there's no documentation to verify it. I think it's a safe bet to say around 3K as they come up for sale a little more often than say other German issue pistols like the French Unique 16 or Turkish FN 1922 which have production numbers in the 2-3K range.
    -Originally built for the Guardia Civil they were sold to GECO, which explains the CG mark on the right side of the frame.
    -Condition is VG but for the missing lanyard swivel/ring. Another bit to keep an eye out for along with a PPK or Sauer sized holster.

Attachments

• IMGP9266.JPG
      IMGP9266.JPG
      49 KB · Views: 282
    • IMGP9267.JPG
      IMGP9267.JPG
      81 KB · Views: 279
    • IMGP9270.JPG
      IMGP9270.JPG
      72.4 KB · Views: 272
    • IMGP9269.JPG
      IMGP9269.JPG
      66.2 KB · Views: 318
    Jul 1, 2012
    That turned out to be pretty nice-looking indeed!
    BTW the "G.C." in this case is the company logo for Gabilondo y Cia, not the Guardia Civil. :)

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Nice!!! One of these GECO Llamas is on my list as well, they’re neat little guns. After I work my way through most of the German military issue pistols I’d like to start on the imports (GECO, Akah, etc). GECO marked Beretta M1935 is another one I’ve seen pop up and handful of times recently too.

I agree with your assessment on the total number imported, while not easy to find, they seem to pop up enough to suggest a few thousand.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    That turned out to be pretty nice-looking indeed!
    BTW the "G.C." in this case is the company logo for Gabilondo y Cia, not the Guardia Civil. :)

Well I stand corrected! That's what I get for taking info I found online at face value (seemed logical at the time).

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nice!!! One of these GECO Llamas is on my list as well, they’re neat little guns. After I work my way through most of the German military issue pistols I’d like to start on the imports (GECO, Akah, etc). GECO marked Beretta M1935 is another one I’ve seen pop up and handful of times recently too.

I agree with your assessment on the total number imported, while not easy to find, they seem to pop up enough to suggest a few thousand.

Funny you mentioned a GECO marked Beretta. I was bidding on a GECO marked 1934 a couple weeks ago. Got b*tch slapped on that one as two other bidders figured out what it was and threw caution and cash to the wind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom