Fyi, Howard county had a sex offender as a substitute teacher.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    To all the parents in HoCo with young kids. I been getting mass emails that the school board sends out, and its states that Steven Katz, has been a sub. teacher for howard county for the past 6 years. In case you dont get the mass emails from HoCo school system. Just a fyi thing.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I've heard this before. It would seem that some school districts are guilty of hiring sex offenders as substitute teachers.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    My daughter, whom is graduating from college this spring, told me this morning that she had this guy as a sub. My son came out of the middle school church service on Sunday and told me all the kids were talking about it. Sounds like this guy had quite the run.
    I had a shop teacher at the old Clarksville middle school who taught for 24 years before being caught as a child predator.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    If he does not have a record or previous complaints, he would have passed a background check.
    I have not seen any confirmed accusations other than the one incident he was arrested on. "inappropriately touching a student"

https://wtop.com/maryland/2018/03/t...-in-montgomery-co-taught-in-other-md-schools/

Steven Katz, 59, of Columbia, Maryland, was accused of inappropriately touching a student at Montgomery County’s Cloverly Elementary School earlier this month.

The student said Katz touched him in a way that made him feel uncomfortable, according to Montgomery County police. Police then interviewed Katz, and he admitted to inappropriately touching the student.

Remember, he gets his day in court. If found guilty, we can decide if he should be fried or hung. I have read that there are no known cures for pedophilia (I had to spell check that one).

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    If he does not have a record or previous complaints, he would have passed a background check.
    I have not seen any confirmed accusations other than the one incident he was arrested on. "inappropriately touching a student"

https://wtop.com/maryland/2018/03/t...-in-montgomery-co-taught-in-other-md-schools/

Remember, he gets his day in court. If found guilty, we can decide if he should be fried or hung. I have read that there are no known cures for pedophilia (I had to spell check that one).

Yea, there is. Its called GenPoP

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

There is absolutely a cure for pedophilia,
    a 158 grain hollow point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

email I got from the school I thought said he did have a prior and they relied on some other company to do the background check. or something.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    One news article said he touched the backs of two students and slid his hand to their buttocks. One male and one female.

Email from the HoCo Interim Superintendent

Dear Community,

I want to follow up on the message I sent to you Saturday night and provide some additional information about our efforts since then.

As soon as I learned of the arrest of Steven Katz, I took immediate steps to notify the community and begin the communication process through our principals. My letter was followed by a message from school administrators to their communities. These messages provided information on the dates we know that this individual served as a substitute in those schools. We also provided resources to assist parents with talking to their children about this very difficult topic. Additionally, every school also has student services staff that any student or family can access for support.

I appreciate the supportive response by the Howard County community since Saturday and I am encouraged by your collaboration to keep our children safe. Staff have already begun to review the process for evaluating substitutes and putting in place a system to more periodically conduct background checks.

Since I reached out on Saturday, we have gathered a bit more information.

The most important information that I can share is that if you suspect that your child may have had an inappropriate encounter with this individual - or any individual - please contact Howard County Police Department Detectives at 410-313-2630 or the Department of Social Services at 410-872-4203. This communication is critical.

My office and our school leaders have been asked why this individual was able to work as a substitute teacher during the time he was being investigated by the Montgomery County Police Department. Unfortunately, news of the arrest came as a surprise to us as we were not aware that this individual was suspected of these charges until Saturday, March 17. This put us in a position of responding to a situation without having many details. Over the next several days, we will be working with our law enforcement counterparts as well as neighboring school systems to ensure that we implement stronger communication protocols when sharing information related to the safety and security of our children.

We know that this individual has been a substitute teacher in Howard County for the past six years. The vendor that we use to track and fulfill substitute teaching positions allows us to easily access the past two years of jobs he had accepted. In those two years, this individual had been a substitute teacher at 43 HCPSS schools. We are currently working with the vendor to access additional schools in which he may have worked prior to two years ago. The list of schools is included at the end of this letter. To this point, we are not aware of any formal complaint lodged against this individual that would have permitted the system and police to conduct a child abuse investigation.

We are all here to keep our children safe and provide any additional supports that they require.

Sincerely,
    Michael J. Martirano
    Interim Superintendent

Steven Katz has been a substitute teacher in the following schools during the past two years:

Atholton Elementary School
    Bollman Bridge Elementary School
    Bryant Woods Elementary School
    Bushy Park Elementary School
    Clarksville Elementary School
    Cradlerock Elementary School
    Dayton Oaks Elementary School
    Ducketts Lane Elementary School
    Fulton Elementary School
    Gorman Crossing Elementary School
    Guilford Elementary School
    Hammond Elementary School
    Ilchester Elementary School
    Lisbon Elementary School
    Longfellow Elementary School
    Manor Woods Elementary School
    Pointers Run Elementary School
    Rockburn Elementary School
    Running Brook Elementary School
    Stevens Forest Elementary School
    Swansfield Elementary School
    Triadelphia Elementary School
    Veterans Elementary School
    Waverly Elementary School
    West Friendship Elementary School
    Worthington Elementary School

Bonnie Branch Middle School
    Dunloggin Middle School
    Ellicott Mills Middle School
    Folly Quarter Middle School
    Harpers Choice Middle School
    Lime Kiln Middle School
    Mayfield Woods Middle School
    Mount View Middle School
    Murray Hill Middle School
    Oakland Mills Middle School
    Patapsco Middle School
    Wilde Lake Middle School

Atholton High School
    Glenelg High School
    Hammond High School
    Howard High School
    Reservoir High School

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

It sounds like he admitted it.
    During the investigation, detectives interviewed the student and also interviewed Katz. During the interview with Katz, he made admissions relating to inappropriately touching the student.

http://www.mymcpnews.com/2018/03/17...eacher-for-inappropriate-touching-of-student/

Charges:
    Charge No: 001 Description:SEX ABUSE MINOR
    Statute: CR.3.602.(b)(1)Description:SEX ABUSE MINOR
    Amended Date: CJIS Code:1 0322MO/PLL Probable Cause:X
    Incident Date From: 03/08/2018 To: 03/08/2018 Victim Age:

Charge No: 002 Description:SEX OFF 4TH DEG-SEX CONTACT
    Statute: CR.3.308.(b)(1)Description:SEX OFF 4TH DEG-SEX CONTACT
    Amended Date: CJIS Code:4 3600MO/PLL Probable Cause:X
    Incident Date From: 03/08/2018 To: 03/08/2018 Victim Age:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    email I got from the school I thought said he did have a prior and they relied on some other company to do the background check. or something.

sounds like massive flaws in these background check companies as well as once again, government communications.

Glad he's out of the system!

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    sounds like massive flaws in these background check companies as well as once again, government communications.

Glad he's out of the system!

Seems lately people in general don't want to actually do their job , plain and simple . A whole bunch of hacks doing serious jobs and take them lightly .

Like the FBI

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Seems lately people in general don't want to actually do their job , plain and simple . A whole bunch of hacks doing serious jobs and take them lightly .

Like the FBI

No one takes a substitute teacher seriously :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom