• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Zirkin is the chair of the senate judiciary bill, where the senate gun bills are first heard, and approved ( or not). He has a challenger for his senate seat for the first time in 12 years. I suggest we all watch what he does in HIS committee re the current crop of gun bills before it and even if the challenger is progressive contribute accordingly. Carrot or stick. The progressive if he wins will just be another senate voice and will not chair that committee.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Folks really need to weight some options here and not be knee jerked over gun bills.

Zirkin has certainly dropped the ball as far as my views are concerned however he did voice against Man/Min 5 years for transporting illegally. He's also tabled many non gun bills that I didn't support and he has brought to vote several bills to knock them down to send a message to the writers.

Unless the person is a staunched conservative we can do FAR worst in the Democratic world that is Maryland.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Keep in mind his potential replacement, regardless of political philosophy, will not have the seniority to be a committee chair in the Senate.

The question isn't who replaces Zirkin in his seat, but who replaces him as SJPC Chair.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Zirkin has been a fair Judicial proceeding committee chairman.
    The primary challenger is pressure on him from his own party to be less fair.

Supporting that pressure, works against us.

Remember 2013. It was just about this time in 2013 when the O'Malley wing of the Democrat party announced a challenger to Brochin. And shortly after Brochin flipped on us, and voted for fsa2013. We are seeing a repeat of that tactic.

If anything, Zirkin, running in a moderate district, needs our support.

I'm always amazed by new members with ideas that seem to work against us.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis

Remember 2013. It was just about this time in 2013 when the O'Malley wing of the Democrat party announced a challenger to Brochin. And shortly after Brochin flipped on us, and voted for fsa2013. We are seeing a repeat of that tactic.

New does not mean those ideas are ignorant or dumb, however. As a registered state lobbyist for many years, working primarily before the house and senate hudiciary committees, frosh and vallario, involved intimately in client policy decision re financial contributions, we concluded after much discussion you do not financially support/ reward those who stick it to your interests. I said watch and wait. See what he does. If he sticks it to gun interests act accordingly.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    New does not mean those ideas are ignorant or dumb, however. As a registered state lobbyist for many years, working primarily before the house and senate hudiciary committees, frosh and vallario, involved intimately in client policy decision re financial contributions, we concluded after much discussion you do not financially support/ reward those who stick it to your interests. I said watch and wait. See what he does. If he sticks it to gun interests act accordingly.

Many views and a wide range of experience is the real value of this forum. It's nice to know it's all pooled here for us to work together.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Folks really need to weight some options here and not be knee jerked over gun bills.

Zirkin has certainly dropped the ball as far as my views are concerned however he did voice against Man/Min 5 years for transporting illegally. He's also tabled many non gun bills that I didn't support and he has brought to vote several bills to knock them down to send a message to the writers.

Unless the person is a staunched conservative we can do FAR worst in the Democratic world that is Maryland.

Agreed! Zirkin is liberal, to be sure, but he is fair while sitting as Chair and I have to respect that.

East2West

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2013
    Nomalley, Nobama

Why on earth would anyone in this community suggest supporting someone who has helped destroy our gun rights? Zirkin deserves nothing but a pink slip.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Why on earth would anyone in this community suggest supporting someone who has helped destroy our gun rights? Zirkin deserves nothing but a pink slip.

And replace him with who? Someone worst?

You need to evaluate each candidate and some times pick the best of the worst. Voting against Zirkin who has made several sound decisions (outside of Medical Marji and gun laws) isn't that bad compared to some of the other loons in the GA.

East2West

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2013
    Nomalley, Nobama
    I'm not talking about supporting his opponent( even though that opponent wouldn't walk into the leadership positions Zirkin has in the GA so he would have the pull Zirkin does). I'm talking about the line of "Zirkin running in a moderate district needs our help".

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Maryland is Maryland.

( Not saying if applys to Zirkin, just observing generally)

No Committee Chair is ever going to let one of "our" Bills out of Committee without exppress orders from Dem leadership. Period. Ever.

Beyond that one immutable truth , still lots of variables .

Rabidly anti personally, or dgaf ?

Apply BS detector for logic. To anti bills ?

Be laid back about amendments, so long as sort of give appearence of following orders ?

Give both sides equal treatment in testimony ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom