• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    I went to the gun show today in Upper Marlboro and saw quite a few things that made me pay attention. One was Colt now has a beautiful .22 AR Rifle of all things. This is a dedicated .22 rifle that looks exactly like the AR 15 does.

Pricing there ran between $680.00 and $650.00. I know how much I have tied up in my 10/22 Archangel kit plus a few other things, and the money isn't but a couple of hundred away from this new Colt (actually more like $250.00 away from the Colt's price). But if you have been thinking about building a Tactical .22 LR, save your money and buy the Colts's AR version of their .22

I was told the new Colt was built in Germany by of all manufacturers, Walther. Apparently some Major Producer of Air Soft Guns and Walther got all of this together? Don't ask me? This is what I was told. I do know after some checking that Walther definitely made them. Now I don't know exactly where Colt fits in with all of this? But their name is on the rifle.

But after almost plunking the funds down to buy one, I found out S&W is also in the mix with their own M&P 15-22. So now they have a beautiful looking dedicated .22 LR of their own. And the best part about this one is the suggester retail price of theirs is a whopping $499.00.

I would expect these rifles to really start going out of the Gun Stores rather quickly.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    NO hands on with the S&W. But I've shot the Colt

I was very happy with the Colt, the trigger is heavy, but the gun is crazy accurate at 25 yards.

The one I shot has almost 1000 rds through it all CCI subsonic (been shooting it with a SWR Spector) and it's yet to fail.

The only thing is the mags. The Black Dog mags don't work, gotta be the Colt's.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I have the Colt and I like it. The Smith is polymer and the Colt is metal, I decided the extra 150 was worth getting the all metal gun.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    I have the Colt and I like it. The Smith is polymer and the Colt is metal, I decided the extra 150 was worth getting the all metal gun.

Rcn can you explain why you think this? I'm torn between the two as well....
    I like the colt but damn I'd have to drop a Sig to get it.
    The S&W I think I could swing it without losing a pistol
    If I had a suppressor for my skeeter could I put this on either of the below guns?

MW

here they are below:

COLT
    colt.jpg

S&W
    MP15-22.jpg

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Rcn can you explain why you think this? I'm torn between the two as well....
    I like the colt but damn I'd have to drop a Sig to get it.
    The S&W I think I could swing it without losing a pistol
    If I had a suppressor for my skeeter could I put this on either of the below guns?

MW

Well, as I said, the all metal gun was the deciding factor. I didn't know until I saw it that it was made by Walther, that was more or less icing on the cake. I'm thinking that the price differential is not going to be so significant when the Smith hits the market. I'm betting it's gonna retail in the mid 5's which makes it even less attractive over the Colt. If I can have a Walther built all metal gun versus a polymer gun then my money is going for the metal. I think you may have time to save up the extra bucks for the Colt while your waiting to see what the Smith feels like.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    I'm betting it's gonna retail in the mid 5's which makes it even less attractive over the Colt.

I've already been quoted a price of $415 + shipping (no tax) for the S&W
    But damn I'm a Sig guy so I like the Metal too.....
    such hard decisions.......

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I've already been quoted a price of $415 + shipping (no tax) for the S&W
    But damn I'm a Sig guy so I like the Metal too.....
    such hard decisions.......

How are they quoting for a gun they don't even have yet and hasn't even been released. If the importer decides to go up on the money then you can bet that quote will be retracted. If I were you I would wait and see what they feel like, then make your decision.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    How are they quoting for a gun they don't even have yet and hasn't even been released. If the importer decides to go up on the money then you can bet that quote will be retracted. If I were you I would wait and see what they feel like, then make your decision.

That's good advise! I'll wait.

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    From what I've been reading, S&W has already started delivering the
    M&P 15-22's. I do have a call in to one of the Customer Service Reps' I've been talking to about another S&W Issue he took care of for me recently (another gun, not the M&P). He gave me his word, kept it; so I asked him what he thought of the new M&P. When he gets back in he's supposed to call me and let me know. Hopefully tomorrow.

I already know what his answer will be (of sorts) but I asked because of his position at S&W if there are any early developmental problems. My thinking is until someone gets their hands on one and uses it, that there will be all sorts of rumers of breaking parts, badly designed plastic pieces and the fear of a new rifle that just hit the market, that you'll hear from a few nay sayers that the new rifle is a bad design and breaks down all of the time?

I have been reading on one other web-site that someone had shot the M&P and they absolutely loved it. And someone else has said the new rifle has shipped in good numbers a few weeks ago. So we'll see when and if that is true or not? That's another question I'll have to ask tomorrow. When and if I hear, I'll let you all know.

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    I checked out some realistic pricing today on the various .22 Tactical Long Guns.

Colt M4 Carbine .22 is $599.00 (Suggested retail)
    Colt M4 Ops .22 is $650.00 (Suggested Retail

S&W M&P 15-22 is $540.00 (Suggested retail)

This was directly out of the Marketing book at The Tackle Box today. If you were to go in and order one of these guns, these are the prices I was shown. My guess is if these guns become a hot item, the retail price will be ditched and the prices will be jacked up by the sellers. As with anything else, if demand isn't there, or weakens; these prices will come down slightly.

So my idea is, if you really want one of these? You may see how much interest is in the market for these rifles, and buy accordingly to save the most money.

But personally the Colt to me is the better buy. Not only because of the way it's built, but the prices really aren't that much different from the S&W pricing.

saltydog

Thank You NRA
    Feb 13, 2009
    The State of confusion
    I finally got a call from the S&W Rep, he told me these just started shipping within the past couple of weeks. Naturally he touted the M&P as the new hot lick in the Tactical .22 Rifle.

Now he's telling me the price is $499.00, but I saw the retail book yesterday, and it clearly shows a price of $550.00. Like I said before, the prices will all be a supply and demand price adjustment. If these rifles go out the door faster than S&W can keep up with production, the prices will be higher. If demand isn't that great, the prices will be lower.

One thing I see here between the Colt Vs.the S&W Tactical .22's is these rifles are so new to the public, that if there are developmetal problems and you already own one. It may take away from the fun of owning one.

Colt has been out longer, and the people who write about them say they operate flawlessly. Plus the fact I just handled one at the recent Gun Show, I am impressed by how much gun you get for the money. I mean compare what it cost for a hand gun made by Walther. The Colt is made by Walther, and it's less than $650.00 for the best version they produce. If you take into consideration it cost you around $200.00 to buy a 10/22, and another hundred on up to buy the parts to make it a tactical looking weapon. You are better off buying one already built for a specific purpose. but that is my opinion. I certainly wouldn't sell my 10/22 with the Archangel kit for anything.

As far as the M&P..........We still wait for the real reviews. You know, the one where real people go out and buy these, shoot these, and tell us if there are problems or not. The jury is still out on this one.

As with anything else, it's buyer beware. But I believe I'm ordering a Colt.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    NO hands on with the S&W. But I've shot the Colt

I was very happy with the Colt, the trigger is heavy, but the gun is crazy accurate at 25 yards.

The one I shot has almost 1000 rds through it all CCI subsonic (been shooting it with a SWR Spector) and it's yet to fail.

The only thing is the mags. The Black Dog mags don't work, gotta be the Colt's.

crazy accurate with a crappy trigger? yeah, they haveta be made by walther

ViperRy

May 26, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    1 major downside is that its not a true AR platform. I couldn't pop the upper receiver off and slap it on, say, an sbr'd lower if I wanted to chop the barrel. Many people have mixed reviews on it saying it feels like a cheap airsoft gun, some misfeeds and stovepipes. However one thing that is pretty concurrent is that the rifle is very accurate.

You may want to think about a dedicated .22lr upper receiver from spikes, model 1, tac innovations ect. and they're all around $600+/-. Everything thing would be interchangeable with your M4gery except for the bbl. You'll be spending a couple hundred more if you want to get a lower for it, but I was in the same predicament and I went the spikes route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom