Folding brace on AR pistol. Flash hider OK?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    I am thinking about building a 10.5" or 11.5" AR pistol with a LAW Tactical folder so that the brace folds. Would this pistol be subject to the "no flash hider" clause of the AWB? I would prefer to use flash hider to minimize concussion. Muzzle brakes on a short barrel are just brutal.

Everything I've read regarding the AWB refers to "rifles with a folding stock" but this would not be a rifle, nor would it have a stock. So I think I'm OK. Anyone care to weigh in?

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Contact the State Police Firearms division in Pikesville and ask them. When I called them with some questions before building my first AR the were actually very helpful and polite. I've always been a "its better to beg forgiveness than ask permission" kinda guy, but not when it comes to firearms regulations. I'm too old to go to prison

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    A duck is a duck , And a pistol is a pistol

Just get the ATF letter to keep on hand
    The more you ask MSP the more they will
    Regulate.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Stop asking the MSP what's legal.

You know what the answer will be.

This times a million.

Technically, the "flash hider" provision applies to a centerfire rifle with 3 evil features: detachable mag, folding stock, and flash hider (or grenade launcher etc).

I think that if people ask enough times about a folding "brace" on a pistol, they will decide to issue a bulletin on when a brace is a stock and the gun needs to comply with non-existent rules, because they just make it up without any comment or input.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I am thinking about building a 10.5" or 11.5" AR pistol with a LAW Tactical folder so that the brace folds. Would this pistol be subject to the "no flash hider" clause of the AWB? I would prefer to use flash hider to minimize concussion. Muzzle brakes on a short barrel are just brutal.

Everything I've read regarding the AWB refers to "rifles with a folding stock" but this would not be a rifle, nor would it have a stock. So I think I'm OK. Anyone care to weigh in?

Highly legal(IANAL). There is no law against a folding thing-a-ma jig on a pistol. Use your common sense(MSP will not). By nature of a "pistol", there is no stock. So a flash hider of any type would only be one evil feature either way.

While you're at it, take a gander at these. Looks like a better option as a folder and is adaptable to a Shockwave Blades.

https://deadfootarms.com/

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you are specifically concerned with muzzle blast rather than ( visable) flash , look at a Linear Compensator. ( Bracing for the CB related thread drift .)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My biutthole is intact after all my time spent in MD.

No worries.

It's intact because I don't ask the MSP for legal advice on MD law because they'll make it up especially if they don't know.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If you are specifically concerned with muzzle blast rather than ( visable) flash , look at a Linear Compensator. ( Bracing for the CB related thread drift .)
    I agree with this 100%.. best thing you can put on a short barreled centerfire rifle cartridge weapon!(okay, short of a suppressor... lol)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Unless you have a really perverse sense of humor. Keepshooting offers a Flash MAGNIFIER ! "Hey guys, watch this ! " with your buddies at the range, shock your neighbors at home.

jking22sf

Dec 12, 2012
    Somewhere in Maryland
    Ive also been curious about this myself. I end up always putting surefire comps on all my ARs pistol or rifle. If I'm in indoors i keep a warden on it and have my ear pro next it anyways. Even though its loud and the concussion is pretty noticeable for me it outweighs the benefits of a flash hider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom