• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    Hello, all.
    I have seen pictures and videos of the new Glock 19 Gen5s. I have purchased in the past year, 2 Glock 19 Gen4s, one MOS and one not.

Of course, some of us tend to jump on the newest models, like moths to a flame.

Anyone have an opinion on whether the new features on the Gen5 is justify replacing an otherwise perfectly fine Gen4?

TheRussianNightmare

Sep 17, 2012
    I will wait, and shoot them both, back to back, to see if there is a discernible difference in feel or performance.

Generally speaking, I don't like to by a new-to the-market product immediately. I prefer to wait a while, to make sure all of the kinks have been worked out.

Some Gen4s had the "brass to the face" issue, that seems to have since been resolved.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    probably not. Having handled a G5, and owning a G4, the new pistol's cutout at the bottom of the frontsrap is more annoying and uncomfortable than finger grooves, the ambi-slide stop isn't useful, and there isn't much of a difference in the trigger or elsewhere. I do like the bevel on the front of the slide, and hate the old serrated triggers, but that's about it. You are also starting out with few aftermarket parts, I like the Vickers controls for my 4th gen, not available on 5G, same with connectors and swapping other trigger parts. So guess it comes down to how much you like new for the sake of new, or hate finger grooves.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I'm not a fan either of that notch on the front of the mag well. It uses the same connector angle as the Gen 4 on the trigger housing, so the trigger pull is still crap.

I'm about to replace my Gen 4 with my Gen 3 as my daily carry gun.

Benjamin

May 30, 2017
    Westminster
    Would not replace a Gen 4. One of Glock's strongest appeals is the massive aftermarket available, not only are these Gen 5's lacking in full compatibility with previous gen's, but there's also not much out there as of yet. You will get a lot more out of saving the money and putting it into your Gen 4's, or a different new gun. From what I've seen and felt the Gen 5 is just a way for Glock to stay current with all the new models coming out from other companies. CZ P10C, FN 509, or the new M&P compact would be a more worthwhile replacement.

Even if you didn't have any Glocks yet I'd suggest a Gen 3 or 4 and put the savings into upgrades.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I was disappointed. Like above the cut out hit me perfectly to be annoying. I tried inserting mags and you can definitely catch the ledge just right to stop the mag from going in.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Even with the new barrel on the 5 you still can't shoot lead bullets only jacketed, may not be a big deal to most of you be all my guns I reload for . my 3 and 4 have a Lone Wolfe barrel
    So I can shoot cheaper bullets in but that was almost 200.00 upgrade

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Don't forget the improvements to the barrel. They say it is more accurate. This may be the best improvement if it's true.
    Who has complained about the accuracy of a Glock in a prior generation? It's at least as accurate as any other service pistol out there going back to Gen 1. I can't imagine accuracy would be a strong reason to buy one for most folks. Trigger improvements, lack of finger grooves, and just the general "coolness" of having the latest gun would play more into differences with prior generations.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    yup

I will wait, and shoot them both, back to back, to see if there is a discernible difference in feel or performance.

Generally speaking, I don't like to by a new-to the-market product immediately. I prefer to wait a while, to make sure all of the kinks have been worked out.

Some Gen4s had the "brass to the face" issue, that seems to have since been resolved.

until Service Pack 1, at least :)

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I have carried and shot shot gen 3 and gen 4 Glocks for about 8-9 years. I handled a gen5 g19 this weekend. Not sure if it's on the MD registry yet. It seemed fine, minus the tongue cut into the front of the magwell. I am pretty sure I would pinch my pinky finger a few times before retraining myself.

I am keeping my gen4 g19, but I am buying a CZ P10C to try out.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Rule of thumb - Don't buy somthing new until it has been 12 months successfully out there. That could be 12 months since introduction, or 12 months since recall or product improvement.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Rule of thumb - Don't buy somthing new until it has been 12 months successfully out there. That could be 12 months since introduction, or 12 months since recall or product improvement.

I bought a VP9 right out of the starting gate and it has been flawless. So, not really always the rule of thumb.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Replacement, maybe not. Addition to one's collection, why not. Some enjoy the pistol hobby (buy it) and some will have one pistol just to have one (stick with what you know/).
    I've got one on order and when I handled it I did not notice the mag removal groove but did notice a larger gap between the slide and the frame. I've also worn significant amounts of finish from the slides of the previous gen's and hope the new finish is more durable, leather and kydex (various holsters) seem to be tougher than the old Glock finish. I just checked google for your question and your MDS thread is #10 ! Good Luck.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Who has complained about the accuracy of a Glock in a prior generation? It's at least as accurate as any other service pistol out there going back to Gen 1. I can't imagine accuracy would be a strong reason to buy one for most folks. Trigger improvements, lack of finger grooves, and just the general "coolness" of having the latest gun would play more into differences with prior generations.

He's trolling for posts and has been chop blocked recently.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Replacement, maybe not. Addition to one's collection, why not. Some enjoy the pistol hobby (buy it) and some will have one pistol just to have one (stick with what you know/).
    I've got one on order and when I handled it I did not notice the mag removal groove but did notice a larger gap between the slide and the frame. I've also worn significant amounts of finish from the slides of the previous gen's and hope the new finish is more durable, leather and kydex (various holsters) seem to be tougher than the old Glock finish. I just checked google for your question and your MDS thread is #10 ! Good Luck.
    If you want a tough finish you'll need to adopt a Gen 2. I carry one every day and it looks nearly new. Purchased in the early to mid 90's.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

Have had new pistols run great, and pistols that have been out for years have problems, some had problems well known for years, but the manufacturer never addressed. Plenty of recalls issued well more than a year too. Figure the "rule of thumb" is to buy firearms from companies that have good customer service, and that are willing to fix problems with minimal hassle if they arise, GLOCK is on that list. So if you like the gen 5s, buy one, if there is a problem, GLOCK will make it right if or when it pops up

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Seems like a good place to ask this.
    I have a gen1 with the unsupported chamber. In its life I had one case rupture that blew out rhe magazine otherwise there was no damage. I recently bought a Glock 43 for carry and it looks Like it's fully supported. Did Glock fix that problem in later generations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom