Ruger LCP II - Anyone Have One? Thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I read on ar15.com that there is no drop safety in this model like there was in the original LCP, which has me slightly nervous. Only thing holding me back.

I thought that's what the little blade in the middle of the trigger does. The hammer cant drop unless that is depressed right? At least that's how I thought it is supposed to work. The original LCP had a different trigger without the blade.
    Can anyone with more knowledge chime in on this?

EDIT:

Ok I looked on a Glock forum where folks were discussing your very same concern about the LCP II. The following is from a poster who contacted Ruger:

I believe the LCP 2 has a hammer block built in the sear on the right side. If the hammer falls off the sear without the trigger being pulled, the block on the sear will catch the hammer before it hits the firing pin. The trigger pulls the hammer block on the sear forward, to allow the hammer to drop when the trigger is pulled. Trigger safety keeps the trigger from moving unless depressed to clear the frame. I have asked Ruger to confirm there is a hammer block as noted above.

Ruger responded that the LCP 2 sear hammer geometry is designed to be drop safe. Ruger also said there is a half stop should the cocked hammer fall from the cocked position.

Trigger must be pulled to release the hammer from the sear and clear the half stop.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't know if that makes you feel confident enough to buy one. That's your choice. Since I don't have a carry permit mine will most likely only be used at the range at least for now. I personally don't have a problem with keeping a round chambered with the gun stashed around the house somewhere though.

2112rws

Jan 18, 2013
    I have the original LCP and have wondered how safe it is with a round in the chamber. If you look at the hammer after racking the slide it appears to be at half cock position so the hammer spring must be under some tension? I've never been real comfortable with that. Anyone have any info on this?

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    The original wave of LCP was not considered drop safe direct from Ruger. The LCP II is drop safe per Ruger, safety is really not much different than the 10’s of 1,000’s who carry a glock with safety on the trigger just not a striker fire like a glock. As you’ll see on the Ruger forums ton of guys carry a LCP with a round in the chamber inside a pocket holster or kydex that covers trigger.
    Ruger states in the Manual not to carry a round in chamber but I think we can all fully understand why that is even stated (lawyers/litigation reason only). Just trying to protect themselves

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    Well safety concerns aside. I just took mine to the range today. I shot 6 different types of ammo, 3 ball 3 hollow point and tried three different magazines. The gun ran like a dream. Not so much as a hint of a failure of any kind. I shot two handed, one handed and even tried to limp wrist it. It just kept right on going. This thing is a keeper. Now if I could only get a permit to carry

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I thought that's what the little blade in the middle of the trigger does. The hammer cant drop unless that is depressed right? At least that's how I thought it is supposed to work. The original LCP had a different trigger without the blade.
    Can anyone with more knowledge chime in on this?

EDIT:

Ok I looked on a Glock forum where folks were discussing your very same concern about the LCP II. The following is from a poster who contacted Ruger:

I believe the LCP 2 has a hammer block built in the sear on the right side. If the hammer falls off the sear without the trigger being pulled, the block on the sear will catch the hammer before it hits the firing pin. The trigger pulls the hammer block on the sear forward, to allow the hammer to drop when the trigger is pulled. Trigger safety keeps the trigger from moving unless depressed to clear the frame. I have asked Ruger to confirm there is a hammer block as noted above.

Ruger responded that the LCP 2 sear hammer geometry is designed to be drop safe. Ruger also said there is a half stop should the cocked hammer fall from the cocked position.

Trigger must be pulled to release the hammer from the sear and clear the half stop.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't know if that makes you feel confident enough to buy one. That's your choice. Since I don't have a carry permit mine will most likely only be used at the range at least for now. I personally don't have a problem with keeping a round chambered with the gun stashed around the house somewhere though.

I'm reading the opposite here?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handgun...Pin-Block--Is-this-a-safety-issue-/10-172933/

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County

I read that before and most of the negative comments were from people who don't own or really have any personal experience with the gun. Just your average bunch of internet experts who don't know what they are talking about. I believe the post I quoted came from that site but was about 4 pages into the discussion. The guy didn't guess about it he contacted Ruger and found out the facts.

If enough people express concern maybe Ruger will offer an external safety as an option like S&W offers on the Bodyguard. Who knows? I do know its not helpful to anyone to spread stories about a products safety because you read something negative on an internet forum. At least go out and see the gun in a gun shop before you write it off as being dangerous.

copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    It's really interesting. When I purchased the LCP II and was looking for holsters, I read many of the same negative threads. Some holster makers even refused to make holsters for the "II" quoting safety. I generally cant fault anyone for being apprehensive regarding firearm safety, but why is carrying an LCP II so different than a Glock? Maybe having an external safety would alleviate some of these concerns. So far, when I could carry (in Va), I felt perfectly safe - granted I have a good, secure holster that completely covers the trigger. I definitely would not put the LCP II in a pocket without a holster - especially if there are other things in it... I can see how something can pull the trigger, even with the blade.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    It's really interesting. When I purchased the LCP II and was looking for holsters, I read many of the same negative threads. Some holster makers even refused to make holsters for the "II" quoting safety. I generally cant fault anyone for being apprehensive regarding firearm safety, but why is carrying an LCP II so different than a Glock? Maybe having an external safety would alleviate some of these concerns. So far, when I could carry (in Va), I felt perfectly safe - granted I have a good, secure holster that completely covers the trigger. I definitely would not put the LCP II in a pocket without a holster - especially if there are other things in it... I can see how something can pull the trigger, even with the blade.

I agree that it needs a good holster that covers the trigger to pocket carry as is the case with most semi autos. I think a lot of concern by folks is they think the gun is fully cocked when a round is chambered... Its not ... You have to pull the trigger to complete the hammers reward sweep to the fully cocked then released state. I feel as safe handling (no carry permit) this gun loaded as I do with my Glock. But then, like you Copasetic, I am basing my opinion on actual experience with the gun not just something I read on the internet.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County

A Glock is a striker fired pistol that has a firing pin safety that physically prevents the firing pin from hitting the primer unless the trigger is pulled. They are totally different designs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom